UConn Women basketball Early 2023-2024 Starting Five Prediction | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Women basketball Early 2023-2024 Starting Five Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Inês has come up a few times in this thread and I find myself thinking about her a lot. She’s got a big hill to climb, but Geno says she is feisty and sneaky quick. I don’t see her starting (except in extremis) but I wonder if she will yield all her minutes to the freshmen as some have imagined. She made lots of freshman mistakes last season. But in the Princeton game she was serviceable when we really needed her to be. And she hit two clutch free throws in the closing seconds to ice the game. I suspect there’s some metal in this kid.

Maybe KK will win out over Inês in practice, but I doubt it will be easy. After all, last season she went from a JuCo to a major D1 powerhouse in the blink of an eye and still managed to get off the bench — talk about finding your sea legs in a typhoon

Reaction Score
Bueckers is a pg
Fudd is a shooting guard

They may be the best at the position in the entire country.

Why are you moving them? I'll tell you why. You want Muhl to start at pg.

UConn is a better team with Bueckers at pg. She was moved as a freshman and Muhl started because Muhl was a better pg than Westbrook was a scoring guard. There is no need for Bueckers to shift to scoring guard. Fudd is a better shooter than Bueckers. And Ducharme at the wing is also an outstanding shooter and scorer.

Here's a lineup where players play where they are best.

pg - Bueckers
sg - Fudd
sf - Griffin
pf - Edwards
post Brady

This is my starting team. It assumes health.
Nope, don't agree that Azzi is a better shooter than Paige. No way. She was lights-out in HS, not at UConn.

Reaction Score
Right now, without really knowing how well the 1st and 2nd year players will hold up, Geno might have the option to platoon all the starters in some games to continuously run the floor, press, and exhaust the other team.
If we can adopt that pressing mindset and if the personnel allows for that type of play, I wish that we would go with that idea of pressing more. Being the aggressor and knocking down 3-point shots. That breaks an opponent's back and their will to continue. That Ohio State game was a great example.

Reaction Score
She's not. Paige shoots 53/43/83 and Azzi shoots 46/39/90. From 3, MoJeff, KML, and KLS were all better shooters than Azzi to name a few.
Beware of statistics. Context means everything, especially when you have such a small sample size. Still, I agree Paige is the better shooter in game conditions, because she's the more assertive personality. Give us a full healthy season for each of them playing side by side with their best friend and I think we'll see Azzi shooting on a par with Paige.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Whose minutes would you reduce so Ines can play more? Paige? Certainly not. Azzi? No. Nika? I don't care how much Ines may improve, she's not going to surpass those 3.
And where, in my post, did I state anything about her future playing minutes?

Reaction Score
She's not. Paige shoots 53/43/83 and Azzi shoots 46/39/90. From 3, MoJeff, KML, and KLS were all better shooters than Azzi to name a few.
By this logic, Paige shot 35% from 3 last year. Azzi shot 45% the same year. Both had a slight Sophomore slump.

Paige is better at creating her own shot off the dribble, like Steph Curry, but Azzi is the better technical, spot-up shooter, like Klay Thompson.

Reaction Score
Today is April 28, 2023. Today, I can't argue with this potential starting line-up. During the first week in November, that might change, but I can go with THIS one for now and throughout the summer. :cool: Season, experienced veterans every one of them. All of them have started in the past. You're going to get some "push-back" on the lineup. We do this every summer. There will be posters that may not have Nika or Aubrey in theirs and will give you chapter and verse why. Some might have Caroline starting and Aubrey coming off the bench. I think Paige,we Azzi, and Aaliyah are locks to start next season. A lot can happen in 7 months.
Carnac, I agree wholeheartedly with you about Paige, Azzi and Aaliyah starting. I've gotten a lot of pushback on this but I think Niki will be coming off the bench in a sub mode. The game of woman's basketball is undergoing a change. Teams like South Caroline, Stanford, LSU and many of the other ranked ones are going bigger and whether he wants to or not Geno is going to have to join them. If we put Aubrey in there you are also getting a sort of guard/wing combo. If not her we have two other 6'5" players. And add to that the fact that we have two of the best hs guards in the nation coming in and one of them is a pure point guard. I just don't think that leaves a lot of room for Niki to start.

Reaction Score
This doesn’t strike me as a fair assessment of what Nika did last year. Her Assist/TO ratio was 2.24 on 284 assists. Out of context this doesn’t appear to be the best in the land. But it is arguably the best of any pg not at a mid-major school who also had over 200 assists. Only Rori Harmon comes close with an A/TO ratio of 2.3 on 228 assists. Even Caitlin’s A/TO ratio was 2.07 on 327 assists. This amount to 30 more turnovers than Nika had. I’d add that Nika did what she did with patchwork lineups and a team often so short handed as not to be able to run full practices for weeks on end.

It used to be possible to fault Nika’s offense. But I think she answered those critics this season, driving and finishing at the rim in the half court offense. She was no longer limited to transition layups and wide open mortar-shot 3s. These were often statement baskets, scoring when the team really needed her to break the ice or end a drought, shots she wouldn’t have taken the previous two years. Does she have another level she can take it to? I think so. The midrange jump shot is the next thing she needs to add to her game, and she’ll have the advantage of playing and practicing next to two tremendous midrange shooters.
Agree with all you said and would add, preseason posters who identified areas Nika needed to improve in cited increasing her point production, reducing her fouls and getting to the line and making free throws. She has increased her point production each of her three years, kept fouls in check this season and went to the line 70 times this season (3 1/2 times greater than her combined 20 attempts her first two years) and finished those attempts at .729.

Each season she has increased her a/to as well. This past season Nika had the ball in her hands far more than any other player and yet her a/to was way better than everyone by a good margin. If you couple this with what Bone Dog noted above, to suggest that she is a turnover machine just is not an accurate assessment.

In many of the posts which suggest a diminished role for Nika next season, there is no acknowledgment of her leadership and voice. Several posters who experienced the game(s) live, this past season, noted how they could constantly hear Nika directing her teammates. You can add Geno to that list as well. In virtually every huddle on the court you see an animated Nika speaking and her teammates heads turned to her listening. Beyond any statistical impact Nika has, her ability to fire up and lead her teammates is something that should not be discounted. I expect Nika and Paige to be a tremendously effective pair of team leaders for the upcoming season, with Aaliyah, more so with her performance than her voice making that a triumvirate.

Reaction Score
This doesn’t strike me as a fair assessment of what Nika did last year. Her Assist/TO ratio was 2.24 on 284 assists. Out of context this doesn’t appear to be the best in the land. But it is arguably the best of any pg not at a mid-major school who also had over 200 assists. Only Rori Harmon comes close with an A/TO ratio of 2.3 on 228 assists. Even Caitlin’s A/TO ratio was 2.07 on 327 assists. This amount to 30 more turnovers than Nika had. I’d add that Nika did what she did with patchwork lineups and a team often so short handed as not to be able to run full practices for weeks on end.

It used to be possible to fault Nika’s offense. But I think she answered those critics this season, driving and finishing at the rim in the half court offense. She was no longer limited to transition layups and wide open mortar-shot 3s. These were often statement baskets, scoring when the team really needed her to break the ice or end a drought, shots she wouldn’t have taken the previous two years. Does she have another level she can take it to? I think so. The midrange jump shot is the next thing she needs to add to her game, and she’ll have the advantage of playing and practicing next to two tremendous midrange shooters.

I’m a huge Nika fan and there’s no denying how great of a season she had. The difference between her and Rori & Caitlin (Olivia Miles is another great example) is that they can each create their own offense as well as for others.

If Nika wants a long WNBA career for herself, she has to show the ability to score the ball. 41/34/73 splits on 7 points/game. Even 10 points/game with her assist numbers would be an improvement.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Nika, as great a season as she had, was a turnover machine. That coupled with her reluctance to shoot/score makes Paige the obvious option at starting PG.

Aubrey is great, but she needs to work on her shooting. The great thing about Dorka starting next to Aaliyah was her ability to space the floor. Jana and Ice both have that ability, which is why I‘d go with either of them to let Aaliyah work in the post.
A Turnover machine you say, Her career TO avg is roughly 2.6 a game and thts with an average of nearly 4 last year where there was no Paige and an limited Azzi and Caroline all pretty sure handed players, Paiges career average TO per game is 2.5....soooo. Nika shot 41% and 34% from 3, Azzi shot 46% and 34% from 3 and Caroline shot 46% and 34%. Players like Paige and Catlin Clark are combo guards, Azzi's more of a shooting guard and Nika's a point guard, and yes there is a difference. With a completely healthy team I thk Nika could easily avg 10 assist a game. And Before we put Ice and Jana on the wall of fame let's take the Missouri approach...Show me.

Reaction Score
Bueckers is a pg
Fudd is a shooting guard

They may be the best at the position in the entire country.

Why are you moving them? I'll tell you why. You want Muhl to start at pg.

UConn is a better team with Bueckers at pg. She was moved as a freshman and Muhl started because Muhl was a better pg than Westbrook was a scoring guard. There is no need for Bueckers to shift to scoring guard. Fudd is a better shooter than Bueckers. And Ducharme at the wing is also an outstanding shooter and scorer.

Here's a lineup where players play where they are best.

pg - Bueckers
sg - Fudd
sf - Griffin
pf - Edwards
post Brady

This is my starting team. It assumes health.
I have to disagree with you. DT was a better PG than Maria Conlon after Sue graduated and a couple championships later together I think it worked out fine.

I agree with others. Nika is better at defense and pushing the ball while Paige is a hugely better scorer and play maker in the quarter court. Start them both with Fudd in the back court. They complement each other well.

Most of UConn's championships came with at least a combo guard or a second PG in the back court.

Reaction Score
A Turnover machine you say, Her career TO avg is roughly 2.6 a game and thts with an average of nearly 4 last year where there was no Paige and an limited Azzi and Caroline all pretty sure handed players, Paiges career average TO per game is 2.5....soooo. Nika shot 41% and 34% from 3, Azzi shot 46% and 34% from 3 and Caroline shot 46% and 34%. Players like Paige and Catlin Clark are combo guards, Azzi's more of a shooting guard and Nika's a point guard, and yes there is a difference. With a completely healthy team I thk Nika could easily avg 10 assist a game. And Before we put Ice and Jana on the wall of fame let's take the Missouri approach...Show me.

“Career average” includes a small sample size seeing as she shared ball handling duties with both Evina and Paige up until this year.

She had 17 games with 4 or more TOs this year, including 7 (to 5 assists) and 3 points on 3 shots in the last game against a scrappy OSU team. Of course it’s hypothetical, but that’s not happening to Paige at all.

Reaction Score
The debate on who is the better shooter or shooting guard is not the main factor here. If Nika starts at PG which is my preference, the debate becomes Azzi at the 2 and Paige at the 3, or the other way around. Paige is a much better rebounder, takes the ball to the basket more and is longer, so I say Paige at the 3 is the best of the two options.

If Nika doesn't start, obviously Paige is at the 1 and Azzi at the 2, and the debate is Caroline or Aubrey at the 3. Since they represent very different skills you could make a case for either.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
“Career average” includes a small sample size seeing as she shared ball handling duties with both Evina and Paige up until this year.

She had 17 games with 4 or more TOs this year, including 7 (to 5 assists) and 3 points on 3 shots in the last game against a scrappy OSU team. Of course it’s hypothetical, but that’s not happening to Paige at all.
Seeing tht she was the only point guard this year and played HEAVY minutes being the head of the snake she attracted a lot pressure, and not to discredit the others plenty of her turnovers were going through or sailing off the hands of players hence the substantial rise this year, but to say tht she's a turnover machine is completely over the top, and even with this year's 4 turnovers her career average is pretty good and with an healthy team she'd be back to her career average.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
The debate on who is the better shooter or shooting guard is not the main factor here. If Nika starts at PG which is my preference, the debate becomes Azzi at the 2 and Paige at the 3, or the other way around. Paige is a much better rebounder, takes the ball to the basket more and is longer, so I say Paige at the 3 is the best of the two options.

If Nika doesn't start, obviously Paige is at the 1 and Azzi at the 2, and the debate is Caroline or Aubrey at the 3. Since they represent very different skills you could make a case for either.
I agree

Reaction Score
I’m a huge Nika fan and there’s no denying how great of a season she had. The difference between her and Rori & Caitlin (Olivia Miles is another great example) is that they can each create their own offense as well as for others.
I think @darrell has a point here. Nika’s offense improved a lot this season. But there’s still more she could add to her game, as I’ve pointed out elsewhere, namely a midrange jump shot. What’s mainly changed is her mindset — and that’s the most important thing. She’s attacking the basket in the half court set. In previous years she scored mainly off transition layups and wide open 3s. But no one believed she’d take her drive all the way to the rim in the half court, and just waited for her to kick it back out. Now she finishes at the rim. Still, the full arsenal a pg needs, and which Paige and Azzi and KK have, also includes a pop up midrange jump shot. I suspect she’s working on one right now.

Reaction Score
I think @darrell has a point here. Nika’s offense improved a lot this season. But there’s still more she could add to her game, as I’ve pointed out elsewhere, namely a midrange jump shot. What’s mainly changed is her mindset — and that’s the most important thing. She’s attacking the basket in the half court set. In previous years she scored mainly off transition layups and wide open 3s. But no one believed she’d take her drive all the way to the rim in the half court, and just waited for her to kick it back out. Now she finishes at the rim. Still, the full arsenal a pg needs, and which Paige and Azzi and KK have, also includes a pop up midrange jump shot. I suspect she’s working on one right now.

That’s all I’m saying! Hopefully with another facilitating guard in the game (Paige) she’s able to get some plays ran for her and score some off the ball. To say I’m eager for next season is an understatemen.

Reaction Score
It will be either of these depending on the match-up, time, availability, etc.

1. Nika
2. Paige
3. Azzi
4. Griffin
5. Edwards

1. Paige
2. Azzi
3. Griffin
4. Edwards
5. Brady

Reaction Score
The problems is that Nika can't shoot, that is simply it! Yes, she can sometimes hit the long arching 3. Yes, she has improved on her drives to the basket, against the unsuspecting defender. But her inability to consistently hit mid range jumpers is a major problem notwithstanding her other great attributes. No shooty, no starty, it's that simple.

Reaction Score

Ask them. Bueckers says Fudd's the better shooter. There's a youtube interview where they talk of who is better. And in any case the mere fact that someone's shot is compared to Bueckers says they are a great shooter. There were no great shooters in 2021 (other than Bueckers) and that is the reason Bueckers was moved. Muhl gave Geno that freedom. This coming season there are several great shooters other than Bueckers so there is no need to move her.
This isn't a critique of Muhl. I said last summer that UConn was extremely fortunate to have as good a pg as Muhl at backup.
It's simply that Bueckers is better, at everything. I'll wager that Muhl will agree.

If UConn starts it's 3 best guards then who comes in to rest them? There are a number of choices but do they make UConn better in any aspect? I want to see Fudd, Bueckers and Muhl to rotate and for that to happen only two can start.

Bueckers is so much more than an outstanding shooter. Putting her anywhere but at starting pg simply to start Muhl misguided. Muh's fire will be more effective coming off the bench.

Reaction Score

And I expect that her offense will be better still next season. She Griffin and Edwards are outstanding defenders and have the experience.
Despite all that Muhl is the third best guard on the team and I would not be surprised to see Geno start 2 guards.

Reaction Score
Lest we forget, there was a stretch during her freshman year when Caroline was coming into her own and looking like she could be a real difference maker. Of course, this was buried underneath an avalanche of injuries and she has since been a mere shadow of that player. Still, that player (and possibly more) presumably still lurks within her. If she comes back this November, fully healthy, and without the gun shy attitude regarding her head, (completely understandable) I don’t think it’s out of the question that she could be that same difference maker again. I could easily see her scoring 15-20 points per game with a healthy team around her. I think she is potentially the biggest surprise on next years team! Her finally being healthy, is one (of many) of the things I am most looking forward to next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom