UConn vs UCLA post game thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn vs UCLA post game thread

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that most are convinced that KLS is seriously hurt, and yet Cori Close did not agree. If she did, she would've switched her top defenders to others.
Maybe Coach Close is wrong, and she should have switched defenders. Maybe then they would have won.

I think that many people who think KLS is not 100% have experience trying to play with an injury; like me.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Oregon State never showed up tonight. So, It's Louisville vs. UCONN on Sunday. Massey has UCONN favored by 3 points.
Oregon State barely got out of Corvallis. They had an OT win against Boise State and a 6-point win over Gonzaga with a strong 4th quarter. They shot 30% overall and 9% from the arc tonight. Butt ugly!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oregon State barely got out of Corvallis. They had an OT win against Boise State and a 6-point win over Gonzaga with a strong 4th quarter. They shot 30% overall and 9% from the arc tonight. Butt ugly!

Well clearly Kat Tudor was heading toward POY. :rolleyes: Team was shooting 42% from 3 when she got hurt. After she got hurt they couldn't hit 3's to save their lives.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
OK, so now what? Louisville is next up. Is UConn up for the challenge? I think it's time for some redemption. A chance to right a wrong done earlier this year. Is Louisville hungrier than the Huskies? Who wants it more? Geno always says the Regional championship game is the hardest of the tournament.

This year it certainly looks that way. 1 vs 2 for the right to go to the final 4, and for a change, UConn is looking up at the 1 seed. Can they do it? This will be the toughest game to date for UConn. Survive and advance, or go home, you're done. Louisville is confident and ready for the challenge, is UConn?
Lou can't have two bad games in a row. I think she comes out on fire and in rhythm hitting her first few threes. Last time, we lost to Louisville because our shots weren't falling. We can't shrink late in the game, or endure a scoring drought. Tomorrow our shots will fall, and we have them on a neutral court. I like our chances. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
"CW was not your typical freshman." Yeah, she was. She took a few ill-advised shots, floaters in the lane that got swatted away, or a shot when Geno wanted to hold it until time was almost out, but she did play very well.

Perhaps I could have been a bit clearer. Geno wouldn’t even be playing her much at all if she was a “typical” freshman. Clearly he believes in her, and I think she has a shot at being among the all-time greats at UConn. The “kid” can ball.

Reaction Score
I have to chuckle when I read the posts about KLS not looking like herself, etc. She looks exactly the same now as she looked in December. The only difference now that teams are playing tight defense on her. KLS cannot create her own shot and has never been a jump shooter. I think she got 3 open shots and missed all 3. Her biggest asset now is taking one of the other team's best defenders away from Pheesa and setting good screens, which she did. I think she had a good game. As Geno has often said...You don't have to score a lot of points to have a good game.

I'm more concerned about MW not being able to score inside. How many shots in the paint is she going to miss without drawing a foul?

It was a hard game to watch at times, but a win is a win.
Regarding Walker, her problem inside offensively is that she has trouble creating separation against posts with size for 3 reasons. She's undersized, she's not a quick jumper- has to gather herself to get up, and her vertical jump with the ball is only about 6 inches.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well clearly Kat Tudor was heading toward POY. :rolleyes: Team was shooting 42% from 3 when she got hurt. After she got hurt they couldn't hit 3's to save their lives.
Kat averaged 12.3 ppg for 13 games. She was shooting a stellar .465 from the arc. But OSU still had 4 players who shot .374 or better for the season, and the team finished at .385 (stats before tonight's game).

In comparison, UConn had 4 starters between .361 and .389 and is at .361 for the season (stats including tonight's game).

Reaction Score
Could not watch the game but will watch it in the morning. Go, UConn Huskies.

Reaction Score
Regarding Walker, her problem inside offensively is that she has trouble creating separation against posts with size for 3 reasons. She's undersized, she's not a quick jumper- has to gather herself to get up, and her vertical jump with the ball is only about 6 inches.
Really... I thought she was supposed to be able to dunk, but that sure doesn’t seem correct.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Katie Lou has to play better, unless her back is bothering her more than she's letting on.
I don't think she would be so willing to take a charge if her back was hurting as much as some think it is. She is taking a big chance if it is. She took one charge that for some reason was called a block.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Perhaps I could have been a bit clearer. Geno wouldn’t even be playing her much at all if she was a “typical” freshman. Clearly he believes in her, and I think she has a shot at being among the all-time greats at UConn. The “kid” can ball.
Dangerfield scored in double figures again. How many UConn freshmen have scored in double figures in the first few games of the NCAA Tournament in recent years? She helped UConn early in the game when no one else but Collier was scoring .

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Except she couldn't make a free throw to save her life. Great overall performance for her otherwise!

She should go back to that "test free-throw routine" she did in midseason which helped her FT shooting. She just shoots it a bit too fast imho. First world problems. :rolleyes:

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
"CW was not your typical freshman." Yeah, she was. She took a few ill-advised shots, floaters in the lane that got swatted away, or a shot when Geno wanted to hold it until time was almost out, but she did play very well.
Have been encouraged with CW's tournament play to date. She was too tentative during the latter part of the regular season. Her dive over the table to try and save the ball is indicative of her will to win. When Adam Amin laughed as hard as he did, following the "dive", basically cemented my opinion of him. He acted as though it was a comedy routine. I had very little respect for him prior to that display, thinking he was placed in the wrong job by ESPN. Now, I have ZERO respect for him. ESPN is doing a slow "tank" and they can't figure out that it's the few, disgracing the many. CW, keep up the attitude and positive play. I love it!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Dangerfield scored in double figures again. How many UConn freshmen have scored in double figures in the first few games of the NCAA Tournament in recent years? She helped UConn early in the game when no one else but Collier was scoring .
Christyn and Meg were scoring early, too

Reaction Score
CW has been playing much better D lately. Seems like she does a better job than CD of keeping opposing players from dribble driving around her.
Cristyn's D really stood out to me last night too. Just think back to earlier in the season when she was a step (or two!) behind the offense with that "what do I do now?" look on her face. Remarkable growth.

Reaction Score
If we are going to the FF this year we need Lou to be Lou. We were lucky to escape last night with a W! Pheesa really played her butt off, she really is an amazing player. I feel bad, Lou must be really hurt cause she wasn't looking for her shot, wasn't rebounding, and really looked slow on defense.

The other problem is we play 6 deep and expend so much energy we cannot press much or really ratchet up the defense. We don't force turnover and score in transition. That used to be our key!! We really miss gabby and kia. I think if we had a normal rotation and we plan Coombs some more we can be more aggressive and force turnovers.

I sure hope Lou recovers and can become Lou again. We only won last night cause we have better talent and can survive in the half court offense. Moving forward, that will not be the case...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom