UConn vs UCLA post game thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn vs UCLA post game thread

Reaction Score
As I stated in previous posts, the fact this team has played many close games has been a benefit and showed yesterday. This is normal for most teams and even good teams. The next game will be close too and hopefully there is a comfort level that will allow them to respond without panic or tightening up.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
She can jump a little. From Danny’s pictures from last night....

View attachment 41605

Not that she can't jump but but when you see another play where you can see her feet then well......

lou bounce.jpg

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Or ten.

Her shot hasn’t been there the last two games, but those were two very physical games. I don’t remember who on Louisville will be guarding her, but I’m hopeful she won’t get beat up the same as the last two games and UConn’s screening will be more effective at freeing her up. I’m looking for four threes from her Sunday.

I’m also hoping she wasn’t beaten up so badly last night that she’ll be hurting more tomorrow.

Two teams have now face guarded Lou, aka Box-on-one defense, with some success. I say some success because both teams are going home. If I was Walz, I would employ the same defensive strategy. Don't know if he has the players to do it. We will know tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Watching the game now...finally! Reading the Play-by-Play (Hey... I got bored) last night at work, does not give justice to the level of effort our girls put into this game yesterday.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sometimes the static nature of a photograph makes something look much worse than it was in real time. Drummer had jumped with Lou's shot fake and lowered her arms to brace her fall. It is clear from the video that there was no malicious intent about the play.
Drummer was up in the air for a while after Lou's head fake. She had options in terms of what to do with her hands when she came down. She chose to put her hands on Lou's head and face. That's why the refs called it that way they did.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Drummer was up in the air for a while after Lou's head fake. She had options in terms of what to do with her hands when she came down. She chose to put her hands on Lou's head and face. That's why the refs called it that way they did.
I'm not saying the call was wrong. But this all happened in a flash, and she had literally a split second to react. The plays where a defender bites on a shot fake and is falling toward the shooter with no open landing area are often not pretty. There's no doubt in my mind that her arms went down instinctively to brace her fall. Watching the play in real time, it's clear that there was no intent to do harm. There doesn't have to be intent for an unsportsmanlike foul call. Again, I'm not saying the refs got the call wrong.

It's incredible to me that people are so worked up into a lather over this play and over the officiating in general. I have to check the banner to be sure I haven't wandered into VolNation. I suppose it's a symptom of the team's struggles that people feel the need to scapegoat the officials at every turn.

Reaction Score
The rest of the team has to get their shots going. We know we got Naphessa. That is a given. The rest of the players are helping out on defense and rebounding...but they gotta make shots!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sometimes the static nature of a photograph makes something look much worse than it was in real time. Drummer had jumped with Lou's shot fake and lowered her arms to brace her fall. It is clear from the video that there was no malicious intent about the play.

I did not say there was did I. It was a good photo to illustrate a point about Lou's year, nothing more.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not saying the call was wrong. But this all happened in a flash, and she had literally a split second to react. The plays where a defender bites on a shot fake and is falling toward the shooter with no open landing area are often not pretty. There's no doubt in my mind that her arms went down instinctively to brace her fall. Watching the play in real time, it's clear that there was no intent to do harm. There doesn't have to be intent for an unsportsmanlike foul call. Again, I'm not saying the refs got the call wrong.

It's incredible to me that people are so worked up into a lather over this play and over the officiating in general. I have to check the banner to be sure I haven't wandered into VolNation. I suppose it's a symptom of the team's struggles that people feel the need to scapegoat the officials at every turn.
Drummer was in the air long enough to decide what do do with her hands. She could have put them on Lou's shoulders. It looked like a conscious attempt to hit her in a vulnerable area. The defense, Drummer especially, was very physical with Lou all game long.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Drummer was in the air long enough to decide what do do with her hands. She could have put them on Lou's shoulders. It looked like a conscious attempt to hit her in a vulnerable area. The defense, Drummer especially, was very physical with Lou all game long.
My goodness, she tried to put her hands on Lou's shoulders. She's flying through the air and falling toward a non-stationary target.

Reaction Score
My goodness, she tried to put her hands on Lou's shoulders. She's flying through the air and falling toward a non-stationary target.
Lou says there was nothing malicious. Just surprised how high she got Drummer up in the air with the pump fake ("Pretty darned good pump fake") This starts at 2:54 into this 7-minute pre-Louisville game interview...

(Let YouTube keep running after this ends, for 4-5 minutes each of Crystal, Napheesa and Christyn)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Huskies used a 1-3-1 press successfully in the 4th quarter when UCLA was gassed. I’m not sure what you’re referring to.

The problem last night was that Geno went to a zone in the third quarter to limit Onyewere and because UCLA normally shoots horribly from the perimeter. It was a good strategy but UCLA was able to make the Huskies pay for it. Then Geno switched Christyn to the point and made Crystal, who was open most of the night, the shooting guard and she went off for 11 points. He’s a great in-game coach and the players were able to make the adjustments needed. They couldn’t do that earlier in the year. It does seem to be coming together for the team in the post-season.

The game was not as horrible as some of our doomsday posters would like to think.

Hello, I guess we just see the game a bit differently. I think theres a difference between a defense played and being able to expend the effort to force turnovers. In years past we had players that were able to turn the ball over and crate was buckets. I don't think its physically possible to do this when you play 6 and 1 of those six is physically held back by ankle/back injury.

We won the game because Pheese is an amazing player, by far the best player on the team. She gave a herculean efforts. My only concern with Pheese is her foul shooting. We also won because Danger hit some big shots and sealed the deal. We are going to have to play better Sunday or we are going to lose.

We need Lou to be Lou, and we need to force turn overs. I don't think the game was horrible and I'm not a doomsday poster. Lets hope for a big win Sunday! Cant wait!

Reaction Score
Absolutely agree. Can’t understand those who maintain she appears the same as before her injury. She seems unable to really jump or drive to the hoop. Her pull-up jumper, usually so reliable, is gone for now. It’s possible that both her back and ankle are limiting her. All said, her defense was acceptable, and her knowledge of the offense and ability to play two man ball with Napheesa is all so valuable. Say a prayer she feels better tomorrow.

I agree, she's clearly playing hurt and I admire that. What I don't understand is why play her 40 minutes? Maybe if she can get a breather it will help? I do understand with Backs that you don't want them to tighten up so maybe thats not a sound comment. I'm not sure. I would enjoy seeing Coombs play more because I believe she brings the ability to force turnovers and also gives a starter a blow. A 6 man rotation with one of those players being hurt and the other a center that gets in foul trouble is really problematic. Its not like its a 6 man rotation and one of them is stewie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom