UConn vs CAL post game | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn vs CAL post game

Reaction Score
After watching this game, UCONN is vulnerable if Pheesa or Lou get in foul trouble. Those two are so good, that the talent drops off considerably if one of them has to sit on the bench for a significant amount of time. Not taking anything away from KLS, but Pheesa was the best player on the court again. Her defense on Anigwe was incredible, without committing a foul!

Reaction Score
From the NCAA - these are average attendance numbers, not for a single game
View attachment 37641

To me, the more important number is what are the attendance numbers for non-home games. It requires a little math, but last year UConn averaged 7,427 per non-home game and South Carolina averaged 5,645.

UConn is by far the biggest draw in WBB.

Reaction Score
UConn IMO has always been great against teams that have one go-to player. Louisville with Durr, Cal with Anigwe, USF with Laska, Washington with Plum, Ohio State with Mitchell.

Reaction Score
C'mon Geno. Play the bench. At least develop ONO. This is a meaningless game in terms of win/loss. You're also running the starters into the ground. Team looked tired in the 2nd half, especially on D, on the boards, losing 50-50 balls, etc.
This was Geno at his best. I guess he had some point to make by not playing the bench, unfortunately he may be the only one who knows what that point is.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
From the NCAA - these are average attendance numbers, not for a single game
View attachment 37641

To clarify, I meant at Cal. Obviously other schools have better attendance, but for Cal, this was a watershed moment.

UConn IMO has always been great against teams that have one go-to player. Louisville with Durr, Cal with Anigwe, USF with Laska, Washington with Plum, Ohio State with Mitchell.

That's what a good coach who knows how to scout will do - take away the other team's best options. Tara at Stanford has done the same thing with far fewer AA's than Geno has (e.g., Kalani Brown's five-point output last weekend); regardless of their personnel, they're both masterful at scouting and teaching their kids to counter the other team's Plan A and force them to go with a Plan B. Morgan William with the buzzer beater is the epitome of a successful Plan B. Cal's (unsustainable) three-point barrage in the first half today was another example. Rarely can Plan B thrive for four quarters.

Edited to add: I also think that's why Notre Lame has been UConn's achilles' heel the past decade - MM knows how to develop well-rounded teams with multiple viable game plans. Geno can't scout his way past most MM teams, which means it comes down to who executes better on any given day.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
To clarify, I meant at Cal. Obviously other schools have better attendance, but for Cal, this was a watershed moment.

11,085 Virginia (68) vs. California (62) March 16, 2018

Reaction Score
Anigwe was often doubled so give her a break, which was the reason for some open 3s and Cal knocked them down, credit to them and to the team for dealing with another hot team on the road. But then I am sure those who seem to disappear from posting when they can’t just trash a certain player would try to disagree or just wait to go after them and keep on making crap up.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
To me, the more important number is what are the attendance numbers for non-home games. It requires a little math, but last year UConn averaged 7,427 per non-home game and South Carolina averaged 5,645.
UConn is by far the biggest draw in WBB.

Ahem! You are wrong. Not only wrong, not even close.
All Games (Includes home, away & neutral sites)

1545535474710.png

Reaction Score
Ahem he said road games subtract home games and SC s average on the road is less than Uconn

Reaction Score
I couldn't disagree more --unless you are being facetious.
However allow me to be dull minded and take you seriously: ONO in OU and Cal would have lasted a total of 1 minute and 28 seconds of game time before fouling out. Coombs may have scored may have subbed for Danger __may have. But on offense no one would guard her and she'd be the first one fouled during crunch time. Irwin isn't as tall as ONO, has experience, practices well, and the upper class men like her--yet when she gets in the score does not advance nor does the defense stop the opponent better. Geno rarely uses Molly unless the game is well in hand--what does that say?

Last season, and early this: I screamed at geno (into my TV) to play the bench more in big games. The time he played the bench to disaster to me was a planned failure. I'm and advocate of giving the bench sufficient time in good games to develop (for the most part the AAC does not fill that bill).

Yet --all in all, I believe Geno is between a roaring fire and hell, damned if he does damned if he doesn't.
He has succeeded way beyond any team with a bench of this nature should expect.
Then it’s his fault they aren’t ready. He recruited them, he’s coaching them. I’ll stop worrying.

Reaction Score
Ahem! You are wrong. Not only wrong, not even close.
All Games (Includes home, away & neutral sites)

View attachment 37645

No, you are wrong. This table takes into account home games as well! Last year SC drew a total of 332,328 with 225,064 home attendance over 17 games and 107,264 road attendance over 19 games leaving an average ROAD attendance of 5,645. UConn drew a total of 311,190 with 140,368 home attendance over 14 games and 170,822 road attendance over 23 games leaving an average ROAD attendance of 7,427.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I doubt that.
Well, I know you're a stats guy. Neither was in the top 100 coming out of high school, though Irwin had more awards and was ranked #16 at her position. At UConn Irwin's shooting percentage is significantly better, not really close, every year. Rebounding per minute is similar for freshman, edge to Gardler sophomore year, edge to Irwin so far in junior year, the first year she is getting more than 10 minutes a game.

I couldn't tell you which one is a better ball handler from college, since that has not been either one's role. High school scouting reports noted Irwin as deceptively good, Gardler as needing to work on her left. I know that Irwin probably isn't as skilled as Gardler at putting a hair band on before draining a three, but what stats lead you to believe Gardler is more skilled?

Reaction Score
I was just watching a replay and heard something that I missed during the regular broadcast - Camara was available to play today. That is good news going forward.

Reaction Score
A lot of griping here about the bench not getting used. Did you see the last game? The layoff had caused problems. The next game is against Baylor. The starters needed time to get the bugs out and the game remained close enough to warrant their presence. Yes - he could have worked in one at a time and did give Meg a needed break to give ONO some time. When/where do you folks think the starting 5 should get their experience together? Practice is not a game. The 2 new starters need time with the other starters also. Give it a rest. The bench will get plenty of time the next couple months until Geno needs to once again give the starters longer time together to get their legs in shape for a run.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

When did UConn play UW w/ Plum? Pretty sure it never happened. Their semifinal match up was w/ Oregon St. the year UW went to the Final 4. Don't think they played Plum's Fr. or Soph year either. The teams met up in an early season game quite a few years earlier, in Puerto Rico or Bahamas or something.

edited--confirmed, UConn never played UW during Plum's career

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I thought that we were on our way to a 20+ point lead (when it was 17) and then there were a couple of non calls, one where Pheesa ended up on the ground as the ball went out of bounds under our basket, CAL ball, and the other when Geno thought the refs missed a call and then got the "T". I believe after Pheesa fell down(????), CAL got a 3 PT shot. SO in a matter of seconds, our 17 point lead was down to 11 or 9. And there were other non calls, one where the CAL player got an O board by jumping on CD's back in the lane and then putting the ball in the basket. Also the refs didn't seem to know how to count, like Lou's inbound late in the game where it seemed to take more than 5 seconds, as the announce team mentioned and when Anigwe was setting up her tent in the lane on quite a few possessions.
But hey, we won!!!
I agree on the non-calls. Not sure if it was the same one you meant, but I remember one where Anigwe totally windmilled down on Pheesa's arms and bodied her out of bounds and they called it out-of-bounds on Pheesa. But, on balance, I think UConn benefited more from the refs letting them play. We did a great job of taking Anigwe out of the game offensively, and that would have cost us too many fouls if they were calling it close.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom