UConn vs CAL post game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn vs CAL post game

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
...or does UConn bring out the best of teams?

Could be desperation, neither team figured they had much chance to beat UConn, just bombed away from deep and happened to be hitting them.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Tell you what, if the last two teams were not good at shooting 3's, let me know when that team arrives.
The truth. I'd hate then to face a team that is good at making 3's.

Reaction Score
two games in a row with great three point shooting against the UConn defense.....just plain good shooters or is the defense lacking? This team does not have the luxury of consistently building big leads against good competition.....there go the bench minutes......I would expect a bunch more close ones as the season progresses......
Cal shot 10 for 30... 33%. I'm not sure that counts as great 3 point shooting. Thirty shots got them 30 points which was right for the game where they took 68 shots and got 62 points and however you figure in the 4 points for foul shots and missed shots while being fouled.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I could only listen on the radio but the quick 3pt barrage seemed to be due to the hard double teaming and focus on Anigwe and the lack of a general 3 pt threat from Cal this season.

When the 3pt shot threat was manifested in Q1, we took it more seriously and it seemed that we did better in that department for the rest of the game.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I only listened to the radio but was Pheesa the primary defender on Anigwe or was she doubled consistently?
She did get occasional weak side help, especially in the 2nd half. Not so much in the first. Most of the time it one on one.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cal gave UConn a tough game. They won't win the Pac 12 this year, they probably won't even be close. Maybe somewhere between 4th to 6th.

Reaction Score
A good game. One thing is for sure: UConn gets to practice in games, close and nervous (for the fans) last minutes. Hopefully it helps down the road

JordyG

Reaction Score
I could only listen on the radio but the quick 3pt barrage seemed to be due to the hard double teaming and focus on Anigwe and the lack of a general 3 pt threat from Cal this season.

When the 3pt shot threat was manifested in Q1, we took it more seriously and it seemed that we did better in that department for the rest of the game.
Actually as OU did, Cal set single and double screens making the 3's available. UConn didn't send any real help until the 2nd half when the 3's stopped falling.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I personally thought in the 2 mins ONO was in the game, she held her own pretty descent... as she did not really hurt the team tonight in anyway, and moved her feet pretty good to play positional defense against their post players.. I would really love to see Geno give the young lady a little more in game experience, at least 5 mins a half..

Reaction Score
I personally thought in the 2 mins ONO was in the game, she held her own pretty descent... as she did not really hurt the team tonight in anyway, and moved her feet pretty good to play positional defense against their post players.. I would really love to see Geno give the young lady a little more in game experience, at least 5 mins a half..

As of this minute, ONO does not even appear in the box score. Once the minutes are tallied I'm sure it will be.

1545518357001.png

Reaction Score
Not digging into the stat, but 2 things that seem to me about this year team compared to previous years are defense, and passing/assist, both worse. Not very often that I see 2 opponents have more assists than Uconn in back to back game. In the past years, it seems like the assist/FG ratio would be more like 2/3, but this year it has been about 1/2 or less.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wow, really surprising to see Baylor so far up the list. I thought 3 point shooting was a weakness for them. Look at their low number of attempts compared to the rest of the top 10 though. Yeah, Cal compared to other Pac 12 schools OSU, Stanford and Oregon is a poor shooting team from the perimeter.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I thought that we were on our way to a 20+ point lead (when it was 17) and then there were a couple of non calls, one where Pheesa ended up on the ground as the ball went out of bounds under our basket, CAL ball, and the other when Geno thought the refs missed a call and then got the "T". I believe after Pheesa fell down(????), CAL got a 3 PT shot. SO in a matter of seconds, our 17 point lead was down to 11 or 9. And there were other non calls, one where the CAL player got an O board by jumping on CD's back in the lane and then putting the ball in the basket. Also the refs didn't seem to know how to count, like Lou's inbound late in the game where it seemed to take more than 5 seconds, as the announce team mentioned and when Anigwe was setting up her tent in the lane on quite a few possessions.
But hey, we won!!!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Not digging into the stat, but 2 things that seem to me about this year team compared to previous years are defense, and passing/assist, both worse. Not very often that I see 2 opponents have more assists than Uconn in back to back game. In the past years, it seems like the assist/FG ratio would be more like 2/3, but this year it has been about 1/2 or less.
Maybe it is due to the fact that we have only played 10 games with a freshman starter and a sophomore starter that is just getting her feet wet...Or maybe not...

Reaction Score
Good team effort. I was heartened by the aggressiveness of both Meg and Christyn--hope they build on this game. Meg hasn't reached her full potential yet, but all the pieces are there: strong, smart, assertive (most of the time), talented. Love Danger, though she has made a few really strange passes of late. Her shooting is critical. Hope Lou silenced whatever critics she has out there. She is a wonderful player. Great to see Stewie, Bonnie S., etc. Bring on dem Bears!

Reaction Score
Geno is right back to not playing the bench players and running the starters into the ground.. any trust and confidence he had started to build with Ono and Combs is probably lost. Not only does he have to trust them , they have to trust him.

Reaction Score
What does it say that Cal's bench gets 39min of playing time vs Uconn 2m?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom