UConn vs CAL post game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn vs CAL post game

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Geno is right back to not playing the bench players and running the starters into the ground.. any trust and confidence he had started to build with Ono and Combs is probably lost. Not only does he have to trust them , they have to trust him.
Where were you during the Stewie years when his starters played about the same minutes? Musta slipped your mind.

Reaction Score
Wow, really surprising to see Baylor so far up the list. I thought 3 point shooting was a weakness for them. Look at their low number of attempts compared to the rest of the top 10 though. Yeah, Cal compared to other Pac 12 schools OSU, Stanford and Oregon is a poor shooting team from the perimeter.

Baylor is good at shooting threes, but unlike most teams on the list, they don’t live by the three.

Reaction Score
C'mon Geno. Play the bench. At least develop ONO. This is a meaningless game in terms of win/loss. You're also running the starters into the ground. Team looked tired in the 2nd half, especially on D, on the boards, losing 50-50 balls, etc.
No meaningless games. After Baylor and LLvile then AAC begins. ONO will get all she wants. Geno is trying trying trying with ONO. You know what is said about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Geno needs some one of ONO's size with confidence and experience--only time will give ONO experience . I don't know if Geno can give her Confidence.

Reaction Score
She did get occasional weak side help, especially in the 2nd half. Not so much in the first. Most of the time it one on one.
Yeah Pheesa was doing the post work on Anigwe with KLS and MW on the weak side to get the rebounds. Anigwe is really physical and Pheesa held her ground.

Reaction Score
Crazy to have back to back games where one player on the other team hits SIX threes! That's not going to happen very often let alone twice in a row.

OU and Cal had a couple of 3 ball shooters that were turned loose and actually hit. The rest of the game was what has come to be typical---try to get UConn in foul trouble because it has NO bench that is usable in bigger or big games.

Reaction Score
The in-game box score only shows folks who have a recordable stat - a point, RB, assist, to, foul. Ie, ono must’ve been all 0s.
The final box with the minutes will show all players.
When a team has a power house sub, who needs to keep their score??
I rarely feel sorry for Geno but I do this year--His naturally 8 or7 or 9 rotation is ZERO beyond the 5. Where do you go to get a defensive stopper or someone to pop a few (and actually make them). Geno lamented recently his team was playing 3 on five--but what does he do beyond 5? Crappy place or a coach to be.

Reaction Score
Baylor is good at shooting threes, but unlike most teams on the list, they don’t live by the three.
And they play lots of cream puffs. Let's see the numbers once they start playing consistent competitive games.

Reaction Score
I went to the game. It was the first UCONN game I have been able to see in person. Lou was a terror. She was everywhere doing everything. In the fourth quarter, she must have taken a shot to the head, because she was talking to the trainer, holding her face. She only joined the huddle later. May have slowed her down at the end of the game.

Saw Geno hug and congratulate the small guard for Cal at the end of the game.

Walker impressed me also, especially her defense of Anigwe. Without the 3 point shot, Cal doesn't stay in the game. I think Megan is back, or I should say, now ready to contribute on both ends.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Lou was good today but as usual this board forgets all about Pheesa. She is undersized against one of the best centers in America in Anigwe and manages to outscore her by 6 and hold her to about 15 under her average! Where's the love for Pheesa! She was the badass in my opinion with the match up she faced today.

Yeah!!! Pheesa threw a blanket over Anigwe today holding her to 5/16 from the field. :D

Reaction Score
You clearly haven't been paying attention in recent years.
I don't see West Coast teams play often, but other than Oregon I haven't been impressed by many West Coast teams I HAVE seen in the past few years. Too much dribbling, laissez faire defense, unimaginative offenses. Sorry if you're offended, but that's what I've seen. How many West Coast teams have contended in the NCAA Tournament in recent years?

There seem to be more excellent teams everywhere this year. I remember when UConn was in the Big East they often ran teams into the ground - after halftime opposing teams could barely move their legs. Overall conditioning is now greatly improved everywhere, coaching is much better due to more young, female coaches with positive, winning attitudes and players just seem more skilled.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I went to the game. It was the first UCONN game I have been able to see in person. Lou was a terror. She was everywhere doing everything. In the fourth quarter, she must have taken a shot to the head, because she was talking to the trainer, holding her face. She only joined the huddle later. May have slowed her down at the end of the game.

Walker impressed me also, especially her defense of Anigwe. Without the 3 point shot, Cal doesn't stay in the game. I think Megan is back, or I should say, now ready to contribute on both ends.

Congratulations on seeing your first UC game "in person". It's a lot different in person than watching it on TV. I know you throughly enjoyed the game regardless of where you sat. Good for you!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
When a team has a power house sub, who needs to keep their score??
I rarely feel sorry for Geno but I do this year--His naturally 8 or7 or 9 rotation is ZERO beyond the 5. Where do you go to get a defensive stopper or someone to pop a few (and actually make them). Geno lamented recently his team was playing 3 on five--but what does he do beyond 5? Crappy place or a coach to be.
Geno keeps saying he needs his team to lose, but refuses to sub to make that possible. I know he could have played all 9 available, and still found a way to win. Wish he’d try.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I could only listen on the radio but the quick 3pt barrage seemed to be due to the hard double teaming and focus on Anigwe and the lack of a general 3 pt threat from Cal this season.

When the 3pt shot threat was manifested in Q1, we took it more seriously and it seemed that we did better in that department for the rest of the game.
Geno specifically confirmed this during the halftime interview. He was asked about Cal's 3-point success and whether UConn needed to adjust its defense. He said, "You can't take away everything. To defend their big player with us being small, we can't defend the three as aggressively."

Given Cal's 3-point shooting in previous games, the coaches concluded that Anigwe was the greater threat, and they focused their defensive attention on her. That effort was successful, and ultimately the threes did not beat them. Another correct call by the coaches.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Lou has taken a lot of shots to the face or head in the past two years, and I'm getting sick of it.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The unwillingness to play the subs is entirely within UConn tradition
and (especially this season) inexcusable in my view.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The unwillingness to play the subs is entirely within UConn tradition
and (especially this season) inexcusable in my view.
Megan Walker's inability to get into games against good teams last year has had a terrible effect on her morale and her ability to make a significant contribution this year, hasn't it?

...not...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am guessing that the fact that there is a 11 day break may have added to Geno's decision not to rest the starters. Still, I am not happy that we cant get our bench to contribute any meaningful minutes with any consistency.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Megan Walker's inability to get into games against good teams last year has had a terrible effect on her morale and her ability to make a significant contribution this year, hasn't it?

...not...
I don't think she's playing nearly to her understood potential.
To date: an example (as I stated earlier) of a player that as of yet
is not particularly profiting by the Connecticut approach.

Reaction Score

KLS gets hit in the head in almost every game.................other then being around the ball a lot I have no idea why....................

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't see West Coast teams play often, but other than Oregon I haven't been impressed by many West Coast teams I HAVE seen in the past few years. Too much dribbling, laissez faire defense, unimaginative offenses. Sorry if you're offended, but that's what I've seen. How many West Coast teams have contended in the NCAA Tournament in recent years?

There seem to be more excellent teams everywhere this year. I remember when UConn was in the Big East they often ran teams into the ground - after halftime opposing teams could barely move their legs. Overall conditioning is now greatly improved everywhere, coaching is much better due to more young, female coaches with positive, winning attitudes and players just seem more skilled.

Well Stanford has been good for FOREVER. They had a bit of a dip after they ran out of Ogwumikes, but still managed a Final 4 a few years ago. UO is the flavor of the month but OSU has been the much better program over the last 5 years or so. Did you notice when both Washington and Oregon St. made the Final 4 in '16? It's just funny to me that this game convinced someone there's decent teams out West, Cal isn't even close to one of the top programs. Like I said earlier they'll probably finish outside the top 4 in the conference.

I agree with you, there is more competitive balance overall in women's hoops. I don't think UConn is as dominant as they used to be. Still at the top of the heap, but not invincible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom