UConn vs CAL post game | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn vs CAL post game

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Speaking of Stanford, does anyone know what happened to Anna Wilson, Russell’s little sister? She’s on the roster, but she seldom plays.

She always seems to be hurt, she's been snake bit with injuries during her whole career there. Only played 6 games as a Fr. (no RS though apparently), 21 as a soph and 7 so far this year.

edited--there might've been a few DNP-coaches decision in there, but I know she's been unavailable due to injury for much of her career.

Reaction Score
Cal averaged less than 6 made threes a game. The past two teams started hot but couldn’t keep it up. I’m talking about a team that regularly makes 3s and ACTUALLY hits them. Both DePaul and Notre Dame are typically good 3 point shooting teams but struggled to make open looks. Oklahoma and Cal aren’t known for their 3 point shooting. Imagine letting Asia Durr get open looks from 3. She can make them contested so an open look would be like a layup for her.

I'm not one to dwell on stats whether a team regularly makes "x" amount of 3's or not, usually it comes down to one maybe two players that do the damage. In both games, the two players that "went off" on 3's ARE the 3 point shooters on their respective teams. Robertson, for OU is the 3 point sharp shooter, she shoots at a 46.4% clip for the season and for Cal, Thomas is the player that hits 3's, for season she's averaging 39.6%, both of these players hit 6 each against UConn. (Thomas 6-13 [46%] and Robertson 6-12 [50%]). To me it seems the two players that are suppose to hit the 3's ACTUALLY hit them.

UConn played both DePaul and ND (and won convincingly in both I would say), I actually believe ND is NOT a good 3 point shooting team this year (YTD). The only two players that routinely shoots the 3's are Ogunbowale (15-55 [27.3%] ans Mabrey (14-37 [.378%]), combined team 32.1%. Those teams "struggled to make open looks", while UConn's defense had nothing to do with it?. If they regularly make 3's shouldn't they have ACTUALLY hit them?

As far as Louisville and Asia Durr is concerned...wait, I'm imagining Durr going off for a "layup drill" of 3's. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
No, you are wrong. This table takes into account home games as well! Last year SC drew a total of 332,328 with 225,064 home attendance over 17 games and 107,264 road attendance over 19 games leaving an average ROAD attendance of 5,645. UConn drew a total of 311,190 with 140,368 home attendance over 14 games and 170,822 road attendance over 23 games leaving an average ROAD attendance of 7,427.

Just added your info in a table.

1545564541415.png

Reaction Score
I am guessing that the fact that there is a 11 day break may have added to Geno's decision not to rest the starters. Still, I am not happy that we cant get our bench to contribute any meaningful minutes with any consistency.
It’s hard to contribute when you’re sitting on the bench

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Like many here on the BY, I would love to see UConn develop a deeper bench. What I disagree with is those who suggest that an early season loss, or two, is no big deal.

This year’s team has a much smaller margin for error than prior Husky teams. The Huskies best chance to win a 12th championship is closely linked to being in the Albany region as the #1 overall seed.

One loss still puts the Huskies in the Albany region, but possibly not as the #1 overall seed. Two or more losses and all bets are off.

Reaction Score
Like many here on the BY, I would love to see UConn develop a deeper bench. What I disagree with is those who suggest that an early season loss, or two, is no big deal.

This year’s team has a much smaller margin for error than prior Husky teams. The Huskies best chance to win a 12th championship is closely linked to being in the Albany region as the #1 overall seed.

One loss still puts the Huskies in the Albany region, but possibly not as the #1 overall seed. Two or more losses and all bets are off.
Dude, good point, but how much does this matter? While opinions vary, my view is that the past two years UConn has been worn down by the end of the year with numerous foot, ankle and other injuries limiting players like Kia and Crystal and KLS. All we needed was an extra basket to win Championship. Fouls mean we need some experience to come in at critical times. We will still need to go through the best of the best so having a deeper, well rested team would be my #1 priority.

Reaction Score
Cal averaged less than 6 made threes a game. The past two teams started hot but couldn’t keep it up. I’m talking about a team that regularly makes 3s and ACTUALLY hits them. Both DePaul and Notre Dame are typically good 3 point shooting teams but struggled to make open looks. Oklahoma and Cal aren’t known for their 3 point shooting. Imagine letting Asia Durr get open looks from 3. She can make them contested so an open look would be like a layup for her.
I think Geno would have a different defensive game plan for those teams. Anigwe is one of the best players in the country and was guarded as such. Like last year its more than one person stopping the best player and proof was some of those open 3s and Brno said as much. That said they need to improve and I am sure will as the season continues.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dude, good point, but how much does this matter? While opinions vary, my view is that the past two years UConn has been worn down by the end of the year with numerous foot, ankle and other injuries limiting players like Kia and Crystal and KLS. All we needed was an extra basket to win Championship. Fouls mean we need some experience to come in at critical times. We will still need to go through the best of the best so having a deeper, well rested team would be my #1 priority.
Injuries were certainly an issue last year, but I don’t necessarily agree with the argument that the team was “worn down.” These are 18-22 year old athletes in peak condition. They can all play big minutes over a full season and be ready to bring it one more time.

Beyond that, the stats certainly don’t bear out that starters played exorbitant minutes last season. Lou averaged 29 mpg in 32 games played, missing 5 games. Crystal averaged 28 mpg in 35 games, missing 2 games. Imo, the biggest problem last year was that Lou & Crystal were barely able to practice with the team, and that hindered team execution.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Then it’s his fault they aren’t ready. He recruited them, he’s coaching them. I’ll stop worrying.

This is a pretty lazy, and, inaccurate way of thinking about it - if, say, a professional baseball player has a bad couple of years, is it the manager's fault, or the GM's, completely? If Tom Brady has a bad season, is it Bill B's or Josh McDaniel's fault solely? Of course not - it's a shared responsibility, and it will vary case to case. Sometimes it will be, mostly, the fault of the head person, and, sometimes, it will mostly be the player's fault. Sometimes, it's sheer fate, an outside influence that neither player nor coach can fully command. This is particularly true when you're recruiting teenagers, and coaching kids - society recognizes that they're not fully capable, fully developed, so why would you think that recruiting them or coaching them would be an exact science? You may have well-grounded opinions about playing time and player development that disagree with mine, Geno's or whomever, but, to knee-jerk blame everything on the coaching staff is to ignore the reality of life, especially when dealing with growing (physically, mentally, and emotionally) young adults.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Geno is right back to not playing the bench players and running the starters into the ground.. any trust and confidence he had started to build with Ono and Combs is probably lost. Not only does he have to trust them , they have to trust him.
Let's see, ONO was put into the game, she was by far the tallest player on the court and on her only (offensive) rebound opportunity, she not only didn't secure it, but she dropped it out of bounds (which I think was one of the many wrong calls - I don't think she even touched it :eek: ). I think that Geno then decided to pull her at the next opportunity, which he did.
Plus he knew that the starters were heading into a week long break and knew his star players could rest.
It is weird to me how many "fans" want Geno to play his bench players regardless of how the game is going. Have people not noticed that when the teams we play put in the bench players during a game that the quality of the team's performance is not affected but with ours, it usually is????? I guess because we play close to excellent in the majority of games with the starters, we are not so "excellent" when any bench player enters the game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I hope the kids go home to happiness and home cooking. It's been a herky jerky fall full of travel. And, of course, as UConn players they spend their young lives under a microscope and in a pressure cooker of historic accomplishments by many of the greats of WBB. They come out of the fall campaign having done better than anyone expected last October. I hope Santa is kind to them all.

Reaction Score
It has been clear for years, but I did not understand it fully until now. Geno takes care of today! Remember, tomorrow never comes, it is always today. IMHO, He does what he has to do to win today's game. He does not spend much, if any time, worrying about the next game. He does not spend much time, if any, thinking about Next Year's line-up. Since Stewie, etc. left the team Geno's focus is "it will all work out when the time comes." Somebody will step up and get the job done. Many posters thought doomsday had arrived when the big 3 left. Two final 4 last shot losses is not quite doomsday. This year is a continuation of Geno's today philosophy. Will Ono or another bench player step up? Geno knows that if no one steps up --He has the best 5 players on his team and they can play 40 minutes each. Injuries and fouls be damned. That's the deal and it has some downside, but it is not a bad hand. In fact, I think Geno is pretty happy knowing he has the best starting 5 in the land.
One note - many coaches have the next game, or the playoff season or next season in mind at all times. Yes, I have to sub. I have to develop. I have to prepare this kid for next year. Is it wrong? Sometimes it is. Sometimes it isn't. Can UConn win the title game with 2 subs playing over 15 minutes each? I don't think so, and IMHO Geno does not think so either.

Reaction Score
It has been clear for years, but I did not understand it fully until now. Geno takes care of today! Remember, tomorrow never comes, it is always today. IMHO, He does what he has to do to win today's game. He does not spend much, if any time, worrying about the next game. He does not spend much time, if any, thinking about Next Year's line-up. Since Stewie, etc. left the team Geno's focus is "it will all work out when the time comes." Somebody will step up and get the job done. Many posters thought doomsday had arrived when the big 3 left. Two final 4 last shot losses is not quite doomsday. This year is a continuation of Geno's today philosophy. Will Ono or another bench player step up? Geno knows that if no one steps up --He has the best 5 players on his team and they can play 40 minutes each. Injuries and fouls be damned. That's the deal and it has some downside, but it is not a bad hand. In fact, I think Geno is pretty happy knowing he has the best starting 5 in the land.
One note - many coaches have the next game, or the playoff season or next season in mind at all times. Yes, I have to sub. I have to develop. I have to prepare this kid for next year. Is it wrong? Sometimes it is. Sometimes it isn't. Can UConn win the title game with 2 subs playing over 15 minutes each? I don't think so, and IMHO Geno does not think so either.
Exactly my point. If he thought it was important to develop the subs in close games, he'd have them on the floor. His priority is to win games.

Reaction Score
Then it’s his fault they aren’t ready. He recruited them, he’s coaching them. I’ll stop worrying.
Obviously the CEO is the ultimate responsible person. When you are making widgets and your suppliers can't supply proper fitting parts is that the CEO's fault?

Reaction Score
Philly Coach--where have you been? I agree with 99 percent of EVERY thing you post.
In the moment, today, you must live and a coach lives in the moment then on to the next game. In that period between he prepares for the next game. I know you as a coach knows it--I write the obvious.
AS I have written in games Geno can only dance with the girls he brung. Unfortunately, some at this moment are not ready for the big time. What does he do? Sit KLS and bring in (SSS) no name to fill that slot? (SSS) may never be ready, what then. You can't go back 2 years and pay a recruit to play for you.
Coach--where are you getting 2 subs to play 15 minutes in tight big game--or tight SJ, OU, Cal games. GENO is stuck with 5 in crunch time--and those 3 games plus ND were crunch all game In the moment. True very true today is all we have, yesterday is gone tomorrow never comes--it is always today.
A serious coach will allow his team to die on the vine unless he and his staff --pound the roads, search the bushes, and deliver year after year talented posts, talented wings, very talent Pg's You know as I do, that Geno has Shea or Jazmine or CD make road trips to fill the voids of players needed between games, while games are happening--it's called multitasking at it's max.
Golly gee whiz Philly coach--keep it up I enjoy your posting, I always learn something thank you..

Reaction Score
I'm not one to dwell on stats whether a team regularly makes "x" amount of 3's or not, usually it comes down to one maybe two players that do the damage. In both games, the two players that "went off" on 3's ARE the 3 point shooters on their respective teams. Robertson, for OU is the 3 point sharp shooter, she shoots at a 46.4% clip for the season and for Cal, Thomas is the player that hits 3's, for season she's averaging 39.6%, both of these players hit 6 each against UConn. (Thomas 6-13 [46%] and Robertson 6-12 [50%]). To me it seems the two players that are suppose to hit the 3's ACTUALLY hit them.

UConn played both DePaul and ND (and won convincingly in both I would say), I actually believe ND is NOT a good 3 point shooting team this year (YTD). The only two players that routinely shoots the 3's are Ogunbowale (15-55 [27.3%] ans Mabrey (14-37 [.378%]), combined team 32.1%. Those teams "struggled to make open looks", while UConn's defense had nothing to do with it?. If they regularly make 3's shouldn't they have ACTUALLY hit them?

As far as Louisville and Asia Durr is concerned...wait, I'm imagining Durr going off for a "layup drill" of 3's. Time will tell.
When there are no defenders near the shooter, yes, it is the shooter who is struggling. UConn’s interior defense is great, but closing out on a player late does NOT equal good defense.

Reaction Score
Exactly my point. If he thought it was important to develop the subs in close games, he'd have them on the floor. His priority is to win games.
In the Cal game who do you put in that will not foul, turn the ball over. Uconn with it's starting five was having trouble keeping the score even--who then from the bench to you put in to LEARN. The OU, SJ, games at what point do you put in Molly, Coombs, ONO, Irwin without a great degree of probability they will hurt you?
Me and 100,000 UCWBB fans demand the 30 point blow outs--darn it all the memo hasn't reached SJ, Ou,Cal, Baylor, Louisville etc. The memo they received was--Uconn has no bench run the legs off of the 5, get them in foul trouble. So Geno tells his kid don't foul even at the expense of a basket--be in the game in the final quarter--and it has worked.
My poorly developed and losing 1 gram of weight per year brain wants Geno to give the bench more experience--then reality of life sets in --and I see Geno dilemma

Reaction Score
When there are no defenders near the shooter, yes, it is the shooter who is struggling. UConn’s interior defense is great, but closing out on a player late does NOT equal good defense.

Think of this--5 Uconn defender FIVE, lose one who comes in. Geno is telling his kids let the outside shooter shoot then rebound. i.e limited defense on those shot s normally not made in great number--defend the basket, even then don't foul.

Let us not all fault Geno for trying to keep a cohesive team on the floor. When he tries Coombs or ONO something not good happens, if not them who else can he use?

If you read my previous posting over the last 2 years I too have chanted for more PT for the bench and moaned when Walker sat last year. However, reality is real and this bench is not capable, at this time, to replace or even give good minutes for any of the 5. When the AAC games come they will have many minutes--yet he has to play the 5 or they will be as rusty as they were in OU.

Reaction Score
I was just watching a replay and heard something that I missed during the regular broadcast - Camara was available to play today. That is good news going forward.
Available to play is far from READY to play. But available is very good. 2 minutes here and another minute there will give Napheesa and KLS brief rests. AND Touly is a big body takes up room and is intimidating. I hope she is READY soon.

Reaction Score
When do the bench players quit?
No, the message should be: When do the players play like they know Basketball--defend without fouling, score,, not look like deer in headlights. The ball is in the Bench players park--when they are REMOTELY ready they shall play Geno needs good plugs not perfect plugs to fill holes when READY, not meeting the advertised Geno standards, they will play.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
11,085 Virginia (68) vs. California (62) March 16, 2018
Uh, that was the NCAA 1st round game played at Colonial Life Arena in Columbia, South Carolina. Obviously most of those fans were there to see another team.

The statement was regarding women's games played at Cal.

Reaction Score
Well, I know you're a stats guy. Neither was in the top 100 coming out of high school, though Irwin had more awards and was ranked #16 at her position. At UConn Irwin's shooting percentage is significantly better, not really close, every year. Rebounding per minute is similar for freshman, edge to Gardler sophomore year, edge to Irwin so far in junior year, the first year she is getting more than 10 minutes a game.

I couldn't tell you which one is a better ball handler from college, since that has not been either one's role. High school scouting reports noted Irwin as deceptively good, Gardler as needing to work on her left. I know that Irwin probably isn't as skilled as Gardler at putting a hair band on before draining a three, but what stats lead you to believe Gardler is more skilled?
I liked Gardler but wasn't her top fan. She eventually drained 3, eventually was using her body to move people under the basket. Decent ball handler and knew who to pass to.
None of those attributes were outstanding, yet she gave Geno good sub minutes.
\My feelings about Irwin are about the same. Gardler wasn't the ONLY option for Geno then, Irwin has become the ONLY option. Subs for a Geno Team are expected to get into the game make a play or defensive stop, i.e. make a difference. What difference has Irwin made in any game of substance? She's a nice kid and works hard in practice and Geno likes her--all that said: is her game anywhere near equal to the 5 starters whom she may replace in a dastardly pinch?? The choice today should Walker, Napheesa or KLS foul out or deep foul trouble is ONO (foul prone, not much of a defensive threat) or Irwin (not much for lateral movement, slow in running the floor, can if really pushed hit a 3, not a great defender, is a great teammate (says KLS)). What do you do if you are Geno? If Touly is healthy if she can run for 20 minutes if , if if she'd be my choice no one else of size sits this bench.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

I concur to a point...I think that the NCAA Championship Committee will put UConn in the Albany region, based mostly on the fact that our presence almost guarantees great attendance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom