UConn vs CAL post game | The Boneyard

UConn vs CAL post game

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Samuelson...having a strong, quiet game.... 8 rebounds and 12 points (5-6 and 2-2) first half... UCONN - balanced scoring - Nepheesa 8; Dangerfield - 8; Williams - 7; Samuelson - 12; Walker - 3...nothing from the bench CAL - shooting 8 for 19 from 3 point...Caldwell and Thomas knocking down threes.... UConn - 38; CAL - 32

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
In game commentary is in the chat room.

Reaction Score
C'mon Geno. Play the bench. At least develop ONO. This is a meaningless game in terms of win/loss. You're also running the starters into the ground. Team looked tired in the 2nd half, especially on D, on the boards, losing 50-50 balls, etc.

Reaction Score
Amazing shooting performance! And I think they were pretty solid on defense. Held Anigwe to 10 pts. What was the T on Geno for?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Good Win against a Good Cal Team. Play like they did against Oklahoma and they most likely lose the game. Glad the Oklahoma game was 1st. Team wasn't going to come out flat two games in a row.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Good Win against a Good Cal Team. Play like they did against Oklahoma and they most likely lose the game. Glad the Oklahoma game was 1st. Team wasn't going to come out flat two games in a row.

I was thinking the same thing. Good game. I enjoyed the game today, along with all the Cal based hype leading up to it.

"The Huskies (11-0) have won 126 consecutive regular season games, and they won this one in the same fashion as many of those. Connecticut showcased highly skilled offensive players and the balance every coach seeks in getting five double-digit scorers".

"With a handful of WNBA scouts charting every move, Katie Lou Samuelson led the way with 20 points and 11 rebounds and Napheesa Collier added 16 points and six rebounds. The Huskies limited Cal star Kristine Anigwe to 10 points and 14 rebounds" (Great job by Collier - UConn could not have afforded a 25-28 point performance by her today) - "her 10th straight double-double that came on a day during which she shot only 5-of-16."

Last edited by a moderator:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Crazy to have back to back games where one player on the other team hits SIX threes! That's not going to happen very often let alone twice in a row.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Agree

Reaction Score
Good game. Cal is skilled, large, well-coached and in great physical condition. They ran with UConn the entire game. For the first time in years, there are some seriously good West Coast teams. Could be a very competitive NCAA Tournament.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn 100% from the line today - 8/8. UConn did a great job holding Anigwe to 10 points. With all of the hype this game received leading up to game day, you might have thought Cal had a legitimate shot at winning this game. Cal's 10 wins were all against non-ranked opponents.

They're a good team. I concur with another poster that hopes this series with Cal continues for a long time. It will bring UConn to Cali every other year. There are a lot of UConn Women's BB fans out here. More than you'd think. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
two games in a row with great three point shooting against the UConn defense...............just plain good shooters or is the defense lacking? This team does not have the luxury of consistently building big leads against good competition...............there go the bench minutes.....................I would expect a bunch more close ones as the season progresses...........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lou is becoming a double double machine. The one obvious observation from each of the past two games is that UConn no longer has a “shutdown defender” to take opposing teams top scorers out of the game.

Last year there was great comfort in having both Gabby & Kia to lockdown opposing scorers. This year it’s going to require solid team defense to get it done.

Reaction Score
064F92D1-7411-4D4E-AC41-3A805CF9B9A2.jpeg

Reaction Score
Lou is becoming a double double machine. The one obvious observation from each of the past two games is that UConn no longer has a “shutdown defender” to take opposing teams top scorers out of the came.

Last year there was great comfort in having both Gabby & Kia to lockdown opposing scorers. This year it’s going to require solid team defense to get it done.

if you think it's an issue now just wait till next year.................sorry couldn't help myself...........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
How many last second shots Cal put up and went in? Talk about wrong time and place to get a "T" by Geno.

This is a Public Service Announcement:
For those that signed up to Fubo TV and Sling TV 7 day free trial, don't forget to cancel your subscription. :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Amazing shooting performance! And I think they were pretty solid on defense. Held Anigwe to 10 pts. What was the T on Geno for?

Listening on the radio, Geno thought Megan was fouled going to the hoop strong. The radio guys actually agreed with the refs and felt it was a good no call.

That 2 FT Technical could have really cost us.

Reaction Score
It seems that underdogs with a decent 3 point shooter are willing to crank up 30-40 attempts and hope for the best.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Listening on the radio, Geno thought Megan was fouled going to the hoop strong. The radio guys actually agreed with the refs and felt it was a good no call.

That 2 FT Technical could have really cost us.
There was no foul there. For the most part I commend the refs for letting the teams play. In fact there were a couple of fouls called on Cal that I thought should have been no calls, but the refs sometimes have to justify their paychecks

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom