"UConn Trying to Snatch $10 Million for a Phone Call with Ray Allen" | Page 9 | The Boneyard

"UConn Trying to Snatch $10 Million for a Phone Call with Ray Allen"

Reaction Score
The following two things are true, and not contradictory:

1) KO would not have been fired for cause if he were winning and had committed the same violations
2) KO violated his contract and isn't owed anything according to the terms therein

Every KO defender is invoking #1 as an argument for why a just-cause firing is unfair, when that is completely immaterial to refuting #2, which is what actually matters when it comes to whether he is owed money.

Reaction Score
The following two things are true, and not contradictory:

1) KO would not have been fired for cause if he were winning and had committed the same violations
2) KO violated his contract and isn't owed anything according to the terms therein

Every KO defender is invoking #1 as an argument for why a just-cause firing is unfair, when that is completely immaterial to refuting #2, which is what actually matters when it comes to whether he is owed money.
if he didn't play here no one would care at all.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I love all you people who see thing as black or white most of all.

I wouldn’t have any work without you.

Muah!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Reaction Score

Muah!!! ❤️❤️❤️

This isn't about black and white. It's about green. Which is (ironically) the most black and white criteria of all.

Reaction Score
Just so long as you remember that attitude when UCONN gets bent over the table the next time media rights are negotiated. In for a dime, in for a dollar.
you think this is going to effect our media contract?

Reaction Score
you think this is going to effect our media contract?

No, I just think people should be consistent. If they think that all that matters concerning KO is the money, then they can't very well complain about ESPN when they don't get the media money they expect.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Muah!!! ❤️❤️❤️
I'm kinda surprised when you offer anything else on the matter besides this or settlement expectation.

Your strategy to seek movement from Arbitration to the courts was a nice extra. Viable?

Reaction Score
The KO threads are bizarre. I hope I am getting this straight: KO’s team took Benedict to the woodshed to get the deal he did but Benedict should not invoke the clauses in the contract that KO violated because everyone does it.

So if everyone does it the clause is a foolproof escape clause. That makes me think Benedict took KO’s team to the woodshed.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
The KO threads are bizarre. I hope I am getting this straight: KO’s team took Benedict to the woodshed to get the deal he did but Benedict should not invoke the clauses in the contract that KO violated because everyone does it.

So if everyone does it the clause is a foolproof escape clause. That makes me think Benedict took KO’s team to the woodshed.

You really have to cross-reference all 13 threads on the topic...

Reaction Score
When Ollie started to bring in outside friends to coach up the players, let alone have players travel out of state to see said friends and be trained, he was cooking his own goose. The union rep claiming other coaches in the past did not get fired for issues makes this OK, when the contract was written so we did not have those situations again, shows how pathetic the union is. The unions always protect the folks who screw up. People doing their job the right way, working hard and not screwing up just have their dues money stolen.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The union rep claiming other coaches in the past did not get fired for issues makes this OK, when the contract was written so we did not have those situations again, shows how pathetic the union is.
Well, except that it’s apparently written with almost identical language to that in the contracts for coaches in the past.

Reaction Score
Well, except that it’s apparently written with almost identical language to that in the contracts for coaches in the past.

Yeah, but the school also hadn't been penalized and put on probation by the NCAA in part for "failure to monitor" while having a basketball coach suspended before either...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah, but the school also hadn't been penalized and put on probation by the NCAA in part for failure to monitor before either...
Yep. Also true. Good arguments on both sides. No doubt the University has the stronger hand, but Ollie is not without legitimate cards to play imo. And the draw might be very interesting.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There can be no rational discussion with you about this issue because your entire perspective is premised upon two suppositions which you have no evidence of, namely: (1) Glenn Miller is lying; and (2) his cooperation with the NCAA was encouraged by UConn as a means of ousting Ollie.

I guess your definition of "fighting a PR battle" is the schools alumni and fan base knowing some of the underlying facts and supporting their decision. A more objective person might view that as evidence that they made the correct choice.

You accuse those who support the school of situational ethics, but are willing to completely disregard or minimize the significance of all allegations of NCAA violations committed by Ollie.

1. Anyone who reads Glen Miller’s testimony and thinks they are reading the truth is an idiot. It’s an absolute absurdity: He contends that a mother of a player told her that Kevin Ollie gave her 30k in cash and she didn’t mention this to him until after he got fired.

That’s a lie so implausible that it should have drawn laughs.

2. Let me get this right. You want to contend that Glen Miller acted against UConn without Jim Calhoun’s blessing. And you want to contend that Jim Calhoun gave that blessing without UConn’s blessing and you want to contend that I’m the one with an unreasonable starting point for a debate?

I completely disregard the violations because they are so minor that anyone who follows college athletics is laughing at the contention they aren’t.

There is a reason why every single national story is written from the same angle - that angle is that the so-called violations are pittance.

You may as well agree with Tennessee about women’s basketball recruits touring ESPN. Or with the NCAA that Geno calling a little league pitcher was a big deal.

The people with whom there can be no rational discussion is anyone who wants to pretend these ‘violations’ are anything. It’s actually hilarious this is the best they could come up with.

The third biggest thing they came up with in 5 years was a phone call. The second biggest was shooting baskets on the way to lunch.

If you actually believe what you’ve posted you should probably pull your head out of the sand. Unless you’d like to quote the posts where you called for Calhoun’s ouster over much more serious violations.

Reaction Score
1. Anyone who reads Glen Miller’s testimony and thinks they are reading the truth is an idiot. It’s an absolute absurdity: He contends that a mother of a player told her that Kevin Ollie gave her 30k in cash and she didn’t mention this to him until after he got fired.

That’s a lie so implausible that it should have drawn laughs.

2. Let me get this right. You want to contend that Glen Miller acted against UConn without Jim Calhoun’s blessing. And you want to contend that Jim Calhoun gave that blessing without UConn’s blessing and you want to contend that I’m the one with an unreasonable starting point for a debate?

I completely disregard the violations because they are so minor that anyone who follows college athletics is laughing at the contention they aren’t.

There is a reason why every single national story is written from the same angle - that angle is that the so-called violations are pittance.

You may as well agree with Tennessee about women’s basketball recruits touring ESPN. Or with the NCAA that Geno calling a little league pitcher was a big deal.

The people with whom there can be no rational discussion is anyone who wants to pretend these ‘violations’ are anything. It’s actually hilarious this is the best they could come up with.

The third biggest thing they came up with in 5 years was a phone call. The second biggest was shooting baskets on the way to lunch.

If you actually believe what you’ve posted you should probably pull your head out of the sand. Unless you’d like to quote the posts where you called for Calhoun’s ouster over much more serious violations.
do you honestly think that the listed violations are the only things they found?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
do you honestly think that the listed violations are the only things they found?

If they have others why aren’t they in the letter?

I think they are idiots but I’m pretty sure if they had something better than phone call they would use it.

Am I overestimating them again?

Reaction Score
If they have others why aren’t they in the letter?

I think they are idiots but I’m pretty sure if they had something better than phone call they would use it.

Am I overestimating them again?
Unless it's so bad that it would significantly cripple the program. I find it more likely that they're walking a tightrope

I'm not a lawyer but I am a professional boneyard arguer. My guess is that the all expenses paid Atlanta trip is the smoking gun they chose to use. the phone call and the "workout" are being used to show that he was aware rules were being broken and that the trip wasn't an isolated incident. they're just included to show a pattern of non-compliance.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Unless it's so bad that it would significantly cripple the program. I find it more likely that they're walking a tightrope

LOL - so you think they know of worse violations and now they are hiding them?

You know who knows about those violations then? Kevin Ollie.

You really do think they are even more inept than I think they are.

That would be the stupidest game of chicken ever played.

Reaction Score
LOL - so you think they know of worse violations and now they are hiding them?

You know who knows about those violations then? Kevin Ollie.

You really do think they are even more inept than I think they are.

That would be the stupidest game of chicken ever played.
see my edit. i'm sure there's plenty of mutually assured destruction at play by both parties.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
see my edit. i'm sure there's plenty of mutually assured destruction at play by both parties.

If there are worse violations and they don’t self-report them then Benedict may as well resign yesterday. There is no way they are that stupid.

Reaction Score
If there are worse violations and they don’t self-report them then Benedict may as well resign yesterday. There is no way they are that stupid.
the other possibility is that it's not necessarily a rules violation but personal conduct issues.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom