"UConn Trying to Snatch $10 Million for a Phone Call with Ray Allen" | Page 10 | The Boneyard

"UConn Trying to Snatch $10 Million for a Phone Call with Ray Allen"

Reaction Score
If there are worse violations and they don’t self-report them then Benedict may as well resign yesterday. There is no way they are that stupid.

Never underestimate...I agree with the tightrope reference from earlier poster...need to bring bad enough stuff to light to not pay KO...but still wanna at least have Hurley's squad be 'eligible' for the dance...

Reaction Score
This is getting so silly.

If you do not believe KO should still be the coach, logically, you have to take UCONN's side on this to be consistent. KO is a smart guy and had good lawyers and signed a contract that put him in this position. He failed miserably on so many fronts, and I do feel bad for him as I think he got in over his head and then didn't know how to find a way out. This happens to good people in all types of industries around the world. But, the world would fall into chaos if we let everyone take do-overs - these are saved for your wife/husband and children under the age of 18.

I think they will settle, but if you think KO should get it all, or most of it, please donate your money. BTW, you don't have to dislike the administration to have this view. One of the biggest problems we have sorting out facts and making rational/logical decisions is that we let our personal biases get in the way.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
the other possibility is that it's not necessarily a rules violation but personal conduct issues.

And they are still playing nice - come on. They sent a rat to the NCAA - but are holding off on embarrassing him?

Reaction Score
I have been away and have spent a solid 5 trying to figure this out. So is Miller actually involved somehow or is this some Chief schtick nonsense gone awry?

Reaction Score
I have been away and have spent a solid 5 trying to figure this out. So is Miller actually involved somehow or is this some Chief schtick nonsense gone awry?
he's on record with NCAA investigators but from what we've seen it's all hearsay. some posters are saying the school and calhoun asked him to talk. others, like me, think it was out of spite.

Reaction Score

You can't make this stuff up...There are 5 different threads that are pre-requisite reading prior to commentary....
Well, I guess some of it could be made up...but that doesn't make it any less interesting.

Reaction Score
he's on record with NCAA investigators but from what we've seen it's all hearsay. some posters are saying the school and calhoun asked him to talk. others, like me, think it was out of spite.

I think...whether he was sent, or regardless of motivation...the fact that he is:
-still working for Calhoun and,
-still seems to be walking around on perfectly good legs

tells a lot...

Reaction Score
I think...whether he was sent, or regardless of motivation...the fact that he is:
-still working for Calhoun and,
-still seems to be walking around on perfectly good legs

tells a lot...
it says a lot of about KO and Calhoun's relationship. I don't how much it says otherwise.

Reaction Score
Forgive me I have only read the article Medic just posted and have been clued in for 30 seconds but holy #$@$ what a piece of Miller is.

Reaction Score
Nose snort inducer there, but quite frankly Miller was a real wanker in his 2 years as a UConn student.
It won't go over well, but a lot of players are just by the fact that they're 18-22 years old. Olander was kind of a prck

Reaction Score
Forgive me I have only read the article Medic just posted and have been clued in for 30 seconds but holy #$@$ what a piece of Miller is.

I don't know. For some reason, I come down on his side here. He wrestled with Ollie all season over x's and o's and then got sent packing, despite the fact that it was obvious that he probably would have done a better job coaching that team. Then he gets fired three years removed from a championship - and he was instrumental - in favor of some hot shot recruiter they brought over from a dumpster fire Washington program.

He probably went too far. He could have been the bigger man and lived on the right side of history. But that's easy for me to say because Kevin Ollie didn't fire me.

Herbst and Benedict are the real villains. They've done far more harm to the program than Glen Miller. Glen Miller didn't wake up one day and start spouting off. He put his own ahead of the program and it's fair to resent him for that, but at least he "bled blue" once upon a time. At least he poured his soul into the program. Herbst and Benedict are corporate puppets who care about nothing beyond themselves.

Reaction Score
It won't go over well, but a lot of players are just by the fact that they're 18-22 years old.
True then in some cases, yet not nearly on Miller's level. Well, Earl Kelly was quite the character yet likeable enough in several one-on-one conversations. ;) By contrast, Karl and Vern were decent guys ... at least to BS with ...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You really have to cross-reference all 13 threads on the topic...

On it!

1e01b500a8c33f0fe940aa4310c89084--to-the-wall-tack.jpg

C

Chief00

True then in some cases, yet not nearly on Miller's level. Well, Earl Kelly was quite the character yet likeable enough in several one-on-one conversations. ;) By contrast, Karl and Vern were decent guys ... at least to BS with ...

Earl was lots of fun. Sure he had a gangster side but I loved his Howie impersonations. He was also fun to play ball with.

C

Chief00

Inept administration conspires behind the scenes with fired assistant to create fake case to justify firing head coach for cause. Do I have this right?
I don’t believe there was coordination with Miller. He coordinated with his attorney and wife.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If someone could post it again, I'm 99% sure there is a line under “justification for firing with cause” that says something along the lines of “failure to maintain standards of performance expected by the program” or something. In that case it’s cut and dry. I’m probably wrong though of this is still a discussion.

Reaction Score
He put his own ahead of the program and it's fair to resent him for that, but at least he "bled blue" once upon a time. At least he poured his soul into the program. Herbst and Benedict are corporate puppets who care about nothing beyond themselves.

He put his own ahead of the program? If you're, say, St. Bonaventure, would you ever hire this guy after this?

Reaction Score
He put his own ahead of the program? If you're, say, St. Bonaventure, would you ever hire this guy after this?

Probably wouldn't hire this guy if I was, say...a warehouse, looking for a janitor.

Reaction Score
The KO threads are bizarre. I hope I am getting this straight: KO’s team took Benedict to the woodshed to get the deal he did but Benedict should not invoke the clauses in the contract that KO violated because everyone does it.

So if everyone does it the clause is a foolproof escape clause. That makes me think Benedict took KO’s team to the woodshed.
I think the moderators should be ashamed of themselves for allowing these threads to turn into debates that get hijacked by a select few who have their own agenda. This is a UConn Athletics "Fan" board not a forum to discuss how to destroy UConn Athletics, the AD and the schools president, who I think have done great jobs saving the football program and men's basketball program, and have elevated UCONN's academic standing to the point where the school had 40,000 undergraduate applicants last spring, and approx 15,000 graduate applicants. The fact that this school is growing by leaps and bounds in the quality of it's education programs, and it's facilities is amazing to me.

Reaction Score

Yes. What does Glen Miller owe the program? He was fired. I understand that as fans we like to think that there is some deeper allegiance to the program that transcends personal interest, but there's not. He won two titles here in his second go-around alone and has earned the trust of one of the greatest basketball coaches to ever live. He knows basketball. He can scout and gameplan with the best of them.

Perhaps he feels little remorse for throwing a program under the bus that employed an out-of-control head coach. Maybe he felt disrespected as the most tenured member of a relatively young coaching staff. More likely, he wanted to stick it to the school that came crying back after scapegoating him the year before.

"These guys want me to thread a needle so they can save on the buyout without disturbing their newest investment. The nerve. I think I'll watch the world burn instead."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom