"UConn Trying to Snatch $10 Million for a Phone Call with Ray Allen" | The Boneyard

"UConn Trying to Snatch $10 Million for a Phone Call with Ray Allen"

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
The Score is running with basically the same headline. Not even a mention of the stuff in Atlanta. Just a phone call from Ray Allen.

Reaction Score
This will get out of control with the media once the NBA draft is concluded unless KO and UConn settle soon. There will be major ramifications to UConn Basketball from this, recruiting, negative publicity... For the sake of the program I hope this can be settled soon so we can focus on the upcoming season. KO was smart with his public letter to UConn nation now he’s sitting back and watch the paint dry. Unbelievable, but I saw this coming. After this is settled, Miller will sue UConn. As I have said before, Benedict and Herbst should be fired.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We are too close to the situation and have too much emotional investment. Most outside observers will read about the allegations/violations and think "no big deal" (excluding the possible payment to the mother which doesn't seem to be part of this yet).

I wish they were able to reach a settlement. Now this is just ugly for everyone.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sounds more like a Tate George phone call to me

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
https://deadspin.com/uconn-is-trying-to-snatch-10-million-from-kevin-ollie-1827021568

I'm sure this won't sit well with those of you who still think Calhoun was running the only NCAA-compliant program in America.

I'm OK with the fact that this happened to KO and not JC because the idea that "the better your results, the more people are willing to put up with" is a lesson that applies just about everywhere, and people learn it pretty early on. The deadspin article goes out of its way to say "Yeah, of course he got his friend a non-coaching position, that's how it works" but then when he does a lousy job over several years and the AD plays hardball its pearl clutching time. I hope for the simple sake of competency that the AD made a decent offer (anything around 5m or so in my uneducated opinion) to save us the embarrassment, I guess we'll never know.

The biggest negative impact in all of this should have manifested with our ability to high a new coach after the way the University treated the last one. We managed to dodge it with the DH hire, so lets hope he does well and sticks around until the stink of this subsides in a few years.

Reaction Score
This is ridiculous. If Ollie really “bleeds blue” like he (his PR firm) claims then we wouldn’t be seeing any of these headlines.

Ollie was offered a settlement, declined, and is now making this as ugly as possible for UConn. I hope he doesn’t see a penny of the buyout.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is ridiculous. If Ollie really “bleeds blue” like he (his PR firm) claims then we wouldn’t be seeing any of these headlines.

Ollie was offered a settlement, declined, and is now making this as ugly as possible for UConn. I hope he doesn’t see a penny of the buyout.

You’ve said this a half dozen times. What evidence do you have a settlement was offered?

Reaction Score
Do you know if this actually happened?
You’ve said this a half dozen times. What evidence do you have a settlement was offered?
Have to believe administration would’ve offered a settlement to avoid this public outpouring. Could 100% be wrong. All speculation.

Reaction Score
The question is,
Does the $10 million that you may still have to pay Ollie worth the stain and possible downward spiral of the program?

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This will get out of control with the media once the NBA draft is concluded unless KO and UConn settle soon. There will be major ramifications to UConn Basketball from this, recruiting, negative publicity... For the sake of the program I hope this can be settled soon so we can focus on the upcoming season. KO was smart with his public letter to UConn nation now he’s sitting back and watch the paint dry. Unbelievable, but I saw this coming. After this is settled, Miller will sue UConn. As I have said before, Benedict and Herbst should be fired.
Hey welcome back.

As time go on this gets uglier and uglier for KO. The legal team's attempt to smear two HOF coaches has not played well at UConn or with many alumni, who previously support Kevin. He would have been wise to walk away for a modest settlement. Everyday that drags on he looks worse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom