UConn to the Big East? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn to the Big East?

Reaction Score
UConn is worth a lot to Fox and the BE. Currently, the BE has two marquee brands from the old Big East: Nova and G'Town. That is worth 2 marquee old BE matchups a year.

Adding UConn TRIPLES Fox's inventory of marquee brand games (home and away between each of the 3 schools). It also creates a lot more high-end matchups depending on active rankings.

And adding the women would be significant from the perspective of Fox and the BE. There aren't a ton of women's BB fans, but for those fans, UConn games are a must. It's basically the HBO model - HBO doesn't try to create shows like the Big Bang Theory that a lot of people sort of like; they're looking to hit niche markets that will LOVE a particular show and pull the trigger on subscribing. The UConn women give Fox "must-have" programming for a small, but sizable number of households. It also helps other BE schools sell tickets and recruit.

If we could keep football in the AAC, this would be a no-brainer, but that seems unlikely. Would need to know a lot more about how this would work for football, but UConn would be crazy not to kick the tires.
That idea blows. What we need to do is get UCONN football only in the Big Ten and all other sports to the ACC.

Reaction Score
Just to avoid travel to such "far away" (even by usa standards which is a huge country) places, I think Uconn should try to get into the Big East, actually. It is insane to have to travel across numerous time zones for a conference game, multiple times per year. This re-alignment business blows IMO, makes no sense geography wise. I think I read a graphic one year that Uconn was the most travelled squad in the country, by far. I bet they rank in the top 10 every year too. A lot of that is simply Houston, SMU and Tulsa. I have nothing against those three teams, but it is a pain to have to travel so much.

DePaul, Marquette, and Creighton are all in the central time zone...

Reaction Score
Get your facts straight, our losses to Wagner and Northeastern and Oklahoma State came before the "worst string of injuries I can remember". This program has deeper problems than injuries. That basketball only conference has some of the best programs in the country, and would help recruiting IMO. Playing St Johns, Georgetown, Villanova, Butler and Xavier, once or twice a year each would make KO's job on the recruiting front much easier IMO.

Oklahoma State? I thought Larrier was injured in LA.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not saying nothing to do with the injuries, but losing to Wagner and Northeastern with the 3rd best recruiting class in the country, everyone healthy, and some dynamic sophomores is cause for concern. Lack of depth is one that is obvious, the other is KO's coaching style during games. When Calhoun was coach if you made one or two little mistakes you always got yanked and talked to no matter who you were. JC taught during games, KO should do more of that IMO.
Ive had season tickets since 1965 and have watched both JC and KO
JC taught? no, JC got in players faces - and I'm not saying that was wrong - then would tell either Howie or George to talk to the kid
KO does much more explaining than JC ever dreamed of doing
JC was/is a legend. KO is learning the trade

Reaction Score
DePaul, Marquette, and Creighton are all in the central time zone..
I realize that. Texas and Oklahoma are further distances, no? I would think nearly 2x as much. Plain and simple, Big East still cuts back on travel time and distance. Chicago (Depaul is like 700 or 800 miles. To get to SMU....gotta be at least 1800 miles...

Reaction Score
JC taught? no, JC got in players faces - and I'm not saying that was wrong - then would tell either Howie or George to talk to the kid
What he said, they remembered. That's a form teaching in my book.

Reaction Score
The ideas that UConn has under-achieved in the AAC and that the Big East is a far better basketball conference have nothing to do with each other. This isn't some computer game where you have to work your way up the latter to prove your merit. It's not a meritocracy, as we should know better than anyone. The market will dictate the worth of a program, and the UConn men's program - for a handful of reasons - is of great value to any conference, much less one that plays their conference tournament in our backyard and is battling a serious ratings problem.

I think I can speak for every Husky fan alive when I say I'm repelled by the thought of playing Houston and Tulsa and it has nothing to do with how good they may be in a particular year (and this golden age of hoops you speak of has yielded a grand total of zero tournament appearances...you can't make me count the play-in game).

Obviously there is a lot more at play than just that, but shove it with this fake morality. Houston and Tulsa are below us, and we should not be playing them. End of discussion. And I say that as a college hoops enthusiast who will drive three hours to watch New Hampshire and Vermont, so don't take this to be some shot at either of the two programs.

Reaction Score
And therein lies the problem. We took a guy who was "learning his trade" to take over a power program he was fine as long as he didn't have to do much but once he had to actually coach he has shown time and again he is over his head. He should have spent a couple of years in the MAAC or somewhere to actually learn his trade.

Reaction Score
You don't think Calhoun taught?

Reaction Score
Actually the ACC did desire Uconn years ago at the same time BC went over. I am sure people are aware of this but surprised no one has mentioned it, but BC literally blocked Uconn from joining. BC, of course, is pitiful and has done nothing in the decade or so they have been in the ACC so karma I guess. But it is obnoxious and annoying. BC has no business in the ACC, they blow so much.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You don't think Calhoun taught?
not during the game
I was at every home game sitting a few rows behind the bench in Storrs and directly across at Civic Center, many tournaments and all the BE tourney games
In the beginning, perhaps the first 3 years he was more active in talking to the kids but as I said, Howie and then George took over
Im not saying JC didn't teach at all, of course he ran practices etc - but really didn't during the games

Reaction Score
What will happen to the UConn women. The BE is a mid major in women's hoops. UConn blew away DePaul, the best team in the BE, which also lost to Temple, the third best team in the AAC. Last year in the NCAA Tournament, in a game played at Gampel, Duquesne, the third best team in the A10, blew out Seton Hall, the third best team in the BE. The Dukes also had a 19 point win over St. John's, the second best BE team, during the regular season. The A10 is no women's powerhouse, so what does that make the BE? In the BE, you'll be longing for the days when USF, and Temple were on the schedule. Nothing less than the P5 is going to work for the women.

The Big East conference RPI right now is #7 in NCCA-WBB, AAC is #5, and A-10 #12.

If the Big East WBB gets Connecticut that conference RPI will immediately be boosted to #3 or #4 nationwide strenghting the position of Big East Women's basketball

Reaction Score
I realize that. Texas and Oklahoma are further distances, no? I would think nearly 2x as much. Plain and simple, Big East still cuts back on travel time and distance. Chicago (Depaul is like 700 or 800 miles. To get to SMU...gotta be at least 1800 miles..
Houston and Dallas are roughly 1,500 miles in the air. New Orleans nearly 1,300. Omaha is just over 1,200 miles. Milwaukee and Chicago 800.

Reaction Score
The Big East conference RPI right now is #7 in NCCA-WBB, AAC is #5, and A-10 #12.

If the Big East WBB gets Connecticut that conference RPI will immediately be boosted to #3 or #4 nationwide strenghting the position of Big East Women's basketball
That's this year. The previous 3 years, the BE ranked 6, 10, 7, while the A10 was 7, 6, 9. No difference (actually a one point edge for the A10). The BE is basically the A10 in women's hoops. This is a down year for the A10, but we'll see if it's just an off year, or the beginning of a decline. The basic point is, the BE won't help the women. It's not a power league like it is in men's hoops. They would have to hope they could stand alone like Gonzaga, as opposed to becoming LaTech after Geno is gone.

Reaction Score
For all of you AAC haters, consider this:

The 2014 National Championship run never happens if not for the AAC.

Why?

Essential to the 2014 run was our placement at MSG for rounds 3 and 4. MSG is our second home and that home court advantage was beyond HUGE. If UCONN were still in the C7 league with Nova, it is very likely that we get shipped to another venue as Nova, the two seed, would have been given east coast priority and the committee tends to split league members.

Bottom line, no AAC likely means no MSG and very possibly no championship.

and where would Ollie's career and recruiting capability be without that championship? The ring is a big selling point for Ollie.

On top of that, because of the AAC we still have a punchers chance of making the tournament this year. NO SHOT in the C7 league.

Be careful what you wish for.

Reaction Score

Why?

Essential to the 2014 run was our placement at MSG for rounds 3 and 4. MSG is our second home and that home court advantage was beyond HUGE. If UCONN were still in the C7 league with Nova, it is very likely that we get shipped to another venue as Nova, the two seed, would have been given east coast priority and the committee tends to split league members.

and where would Ollie's career and recruiting capability be without that championship? The ring is a big selling point for Ollie.

On top of that, because of the AAC we still have a punchers chance of making the tournament this year. NO SHOT in the C7 league.

Oh god. Well THANKS THAN AAC! Now get us out!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Actually the ACC did desire Uconn years ago at the same time BC went over. I am sure people are aware of this but surprised no one has mentioned it, but BC literally blocked Uconn from joining. BC, of course, is pitiful and has done nothing in the decade or so they have been in the ACC so karma I guess. But it is obnoxious and annoying. BC has no business in the ACC, they blow so much.
Let me guess, your name is Sherlock.

Reaction Score
not during the game
I was at every home game sitting a few rows behind the bench in Storrs and directly across at Civic Center, many tournaments and all the BE tourney games
In the beginning, perhaps the first 3 years he was more active in talking to the kids but as I said, Howie and then George took over
Im not saying JC didn't teach at all, of course he ran practices etc - but really didn't during the games
Are you sure you didn't see all these games at UMASS? I think you're confusing Jim Calhoun with John Calipari.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Oh great! Since the AAC and MSG are so closely aligned. Tulane, SMU, East Carolina and Tulsa make me think of MSG immediately. Big East would be huge for us but I fear Football prohibits us from going.

Imagine!! The ability to go to an away game again in conference (PC, Nova, St Johns). Unbelievable that some people prefer the AAC.

Why?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom