UConn to the Big East? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn to the Big East?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Here's a podcast discussing your reasoning that the NCAA's seeding is purely based on these "facts" you refer to: Podcenter - ESPN

And let me save you the trouble of replying, Cowherd is an idiot and lucky to be half as smart as you.
Interesting listen, and I absolutely agree that if UConn is 26-8 in the NBE vs. 26-8 in the AAC, they are getting a higher seed if they play in the NBE. It was a joke that Louisville was a 4 and we were a 7 in 2014.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Interesting listen, and I absolutely agree that if UConn is 26-8 in the NBE vs. 26-8 in the AAC, they are getting a higher seed if they play in the NBE. It was a joke that Louisville was a 4 and we were a 7 in 2014.
Refer to the facts above please.

Reaction Score
Here's a podcast discussing your reasoning that the NCAA's seeding is purely based on these "facts" you refer to: Podcenter - ESPN

And let me save you the trouble of replying, Cowherd is an idiot and lucky to be half as smart as you.

I listened to that. There's not a single comment regarding teams from lesser conferences getting their seeds lowered because of the conference in which they play, so I'm not sure what your point is. All he talked about was the normal logistical challenges that force the committee to move teams off their original seed line.

You still think we got a lower seed than we deserved last year because of the conference we played in right? Because maybe you've forgotten, but that was your original statement. So instead of the rest of this, just explain to me what the committee was ignoring that caused us to get a lower seed than we deserved.

Reaction Score
Refer to the facts above please.
Well no kidding, obviously all other things being equal if we had the exact same record playing in a better conference we'd get a better seed. We'd have a better RPI, more top 50 wins, more top 100 wins, less bad losses. All the metrics the committee looks at would be more favorable. They wouldn't be giving us a better seed because we're in the BE vs. the AAC, they would be giving us a better seed because our profile would be better.

Reaction Score
You show me a perineal power program and I'll show you a program that spends in that sport.
I loved the entire content of your post, but this grabbed my eye and poked my sophomoric side. I know it was a spellcheck mishap, but it still made me snicker.

Reaction Score
Well no kidding, obviously all other things being equal if we had the exact same record playing in a better conference we'd get a better seed. We'd have a better RPI, more top 50 wins, more top 100 wins, less bad losses. All the metrics the committee looks at would be more favorable. They wouldn't be giving us a better seed because we're in the BE vs. the AAC, they would be giving us a better seed because our profile would be better.

But that's the point........we would have a better profile playing NBE teams year in and year out then AAC teams.....

Reaction Score
But that's the point..we would have a better profile playing NBE teams year in and year out then AAC teams....
But what would the record have been last year playing a BE schedule? UConn could then be Georgetown, which didn't make the dance last year, and has no chance of making it this year. Their brand is fading every bit as much as UConn's, if not more, despite being in the BE. Those wins UConn got vs ECU, and Tulane, would likely have been losses to Xavier, Butler, etc.
It's ironic how, with exception of Villanova, the BE is now dominated by Midwestern schools. The Great Midwest has been reborn.

Reaction Score
But what would the record have been last year playing a BE schedule? UConn could then be Georgetown, which didn't make the dance last year, and has no chance of making it this year. Their brand is fading every bit as much as UConn's, if not more, despite being in the BE. Those wins UConn got vs ECU, and Tulane, would likely have been losses to Xavier, Butler, etc.
It's ironic how, with exception of Villanova, the BE is now dominated by Midwestern schools. The Great Midwest has been reborn.

A10 fan talking of UConn brand fading, as much as GTown. Let me know how many NC's those midwestern schools have and I believe that number would be about the same as ECU and Tulane. Xavier never wins a big game and the last time UConn played the best team from that league they kicked the crap out of them in the NCAA tourney and if fading is 3 years ago then you have a different idea on that term.

Ridiculous post but then again you are an A10 fan, what would you know of brands?

Reaction Score
But that's the point..we would have a better profile playing NBE teams year in and year out then AAC teams....
It's true in the make believe world where the same team can play in a harder conference and end up with an identical record, but in reality that team will end up with a worse record the huge majority of the time, and those additional losses will offset a lot of the benefits of the harder schedule.

We wouldn't be in better shape for the tournament this year if we had played all our conference games against Cincinnati and SMU. Our strength of schedule would be better, but we'd probably have a conference record somewhere in the 1-10/2-9/3-8 range, which is getting us nowhere.

Reaction Score
A10 fan talking of UConn brand fading, as much as GTown. Let me know how many NC's those midwestern schools have and I believe that number would be about the same as ECU and Tulane. Xavier never wins a big game and the last time UConn played the best team from that league they kicked the crap out of them in the NCAA tourney and if fading is 3 years ago then you have a different idea on that term.

Ridiculous post but then again you are an A10 fan, what would you know of brands?
Hey, I'm not one who really thinks the UConn brand is fading, but I see that all the time on this board. You trash those Midwest teams, but if you think they're trash, why would you want to be in a league where with the exception of Villanova, they are the power teams?

Personally, my opinion is that eventually, the P5 schools will make a move to go their own way, or at the very least, set things up where it will be very difficult for non P5 schools to compete. Before this happens, there will be one more round of changes in the P5. UConn needs to set itself up to be included in these changes. That won't happen if they kick football to the curb. The idea that the AAC would allow UConn to be a football only member strikes me as a pipe dream. If Cincy can maintain their basketball status while in the purgatory of the AAC, there is no reason why a superior program like UConn can't. The nightmare scenario would be for UConn to kick football away, and 6-7 years from now, see Cincy admitted to the big boys club without them.

Reaction Score
It's true in the make believe world where the same team can play in a harder conference and end up with an identical record, but in reality that team will end up with a worse record the huge majority of the time, and those additional losses will offset a lot of the benefits of the harder schedule.

We wouldn't be in better shape for the tournament this year if we had played all our conference games against Cincinnati and SMU. Our strength of schedule would be better, but we'd probably have a conference record somewhere in the 1-10/2-9/3-8 range, which is getting us nowhere.
You're making too much sense.

Reaction Score
Personally, my opinion is that eventually, the P5 schools will make a move to go their own way, or at the very least, set things up where it will be very difficult for non P5 schools to compete. Before this happens, there will be one more round of changes in the P5. UConn needs to set itself up to be included in these changes. That won't happen if they kick football to the curb.

This is a really well thought out post. ^^^^^^

You've just got to recognize there is a small faction of the BY who is only concerned about UConn men's basketball. And, by "concerned" I mean what will help the UConn men's basketball program right now and which teams/games would the fans prefer to go see.

The problem with separating out the programs (men's basketball versus women's basketball versus men's football versus the rest of the UConn sports) is their individual short term best interests do not always coincide with the long term interests of the entire UConn AD.

The best place for UConn is to be in the P5 (this ain't a new concept). That is the only truly positive future for UConn athletics. There is still probably one more realignment wave coming...UConn needs to do everything to position itself for inclusion and that means making football a priority in the best G5 football league, the AAC. My first love is UConn men's basketball but I understand it is football that will decide UConn's athletic fate.

We may hate the AAC but there is a very strong likelihood the next P5 program will come out of the AAC. UConn men's basketball may be better served in the new BE next year but what about in 10 years? I know there are some posters who would say "I don't care about anything other than men's basketball so let's move to the new BE" but for those of us who cheer for all of UConn's sports, perseverance and improvement in the AAC are the best of the bad options.

We can't quit on the P5 till we know it is over....moving to the new BE is quitting on the P5.

Reaction Score
The difference perceived in bball between the current Big (midwest) East and where Uconn is at in the AAC is being evaluated and judged a little to in the moment. Really the BE has 4 solid teams to get into the tourney right now with a couple(shall and mq) who are on the fringe. Honestly i don't think either one of those 2 belongs once it's all over. Cincy and Smu are in, and if not for a down year Uconn is also typically a lock. Memphis, Temple also typically are in or close by for tourney consideration. The question really become will the Florida schools ever come around, and from a recruiting standpoint with facilities etc. you have to think they have potential. They key is that Ollie with a healthy team is the man. If he struggles the next couple years, i don't think it's because of the league affiliation. There's plenty of talent to go around. You had to adapt to where you are at regardless.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is a really well thought out post. ^^^^^^

You've just got to recognize there is a small faction of the BY who is only concerned about UConn men's basketball. And, by "concerned" I mean what will help the UConn men's basketball program right now and which teams/games would the fans prefer to go see.

The problem with separating out the programs (men's basketball versus women's basketball versus men's football versus the rest of the UConn sports) is their individual short term best interests do not always coincide with the long term interests of the entire UConn AD.

The best place for UConn is to be in the P5 (this ain't a new concept). That is the only truly positive future for UConn athletics. There is still probably one more realignment wave coming..UConn needs to do everything to position itself for inclusion and that means making football a priority in the best G5 football league, the AAC. My first love is UConn men's basketball but I understand it is football that will decide UConn's athletic fate.

We may hate the AAC but there is a very strong likelihood the next P5 program will come out of the AAC. UConn men's basketball may be better served in the new BE next year but what about in 10 years? I know there are some posters who would say "I don't care about anything other than men's basketball so let's move to the new BE" but for those of us who cheer for all of UConn's sports, perseverance and improvement in the AAC are the best of the bad options.

We can't quit on the P5 till we know it is over...moving to the new BE is quitting on the P5.
Was surprised Rothstein brought it up. I expected the myopic in this forum to miss the B!G picture. But Rothstein knows what's at stake. He must be fishing for hits.

The NBE is not interested in taking any university that has a football program. The Catholic schools voted to separate from the OBE (other than Georgetown). They were fearful back then that a football school could be poached by the P5 and did not want to go through another unstable period. The recent Big12 search for teams, even though they didn't pull the trigger this round, would only reinforce this fear.

But from an academic point of view I'm with you and A10. Realignment is not out of the question. UConn needs to be strong if it goes another round. Separating the two major sports into two conferences weakens UConn.

As an aside: I think chances are pretty good that the P5 as currently configured will not survive. There is a good chance that a four conference structure will develop with a decent number of current P5 teams not included and some outside the P5 taken in.

Reaction Score
Was surprised Rothstein brought it up. I expected the myopic in this forum to miss the B!G picture. But Rothstein knows what's at stake. He must be fishing for hits.

The NBE is not interested in taking any university that has a football program. The Catholic schools voted to separate from the OBE (other than Georgetown). They were fearful back then that a football school could be poached by the P5 and did not want to go through another unstable period. The recent Big12 search for teams, even though they didn't pull the trigger this round, would only reinforce this fear.

But from an academic point of view I'm with you and A10. Realignment is not out of the question. UConn needs to be strong if it goes another round. Separating the two major sports into two conferences weakens UConn.

As an aside: I think chances are pretty good that the P5 as currently configured will not survive. There is a good chance that a four conference structure will develop with a decent number of current P5 teams not included and some outside the P5 taken in.
I think many of the P5 schools would love to do this, but they won't because they fear congress getting involved. It's one thing to lock out schools that were never part of the club, but it's a whole different thing to kick schools out. I doubt these schools would go quietly, and I would expect congressmen from their states to start making noise. My guess is that there will end up being 80 teams at the big boy level. They could either go 4x20, or more likely 5x16, so that current rivalries will be less affected. The football playoff will be expanded to 8 teams. ND will likely be forced into the ACC. Since the big boys will still want to have G5 buy games on their schedule, and the lesser lights of the P5 won't want to be reduced to cupcake status, they won't want to totally crush the G5. They will still leave an opening for an exceptional G5 team to reach the playoff, or at least a major bowl.
If UConn ultimately fails to join the P5, and decides to deemphasize football, the BE will still be there for them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom