UConn to the Big East? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn to the Big East?

Reaction Score
Here's a link to a story about a kid with a PSU offer (basketball) than ran today. Notice what the article says in regard to the Power 5 conferences:

"Next year Buttrick can add his name to the elite short list of players from Collier County who played basketball for one of Division I’s Power Five conferences – the Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12 or Southeastern Conference (SEC)."

The BE name has value and power in the marketplace. People still consider it a major conference....even though it isn't. And it's true, down here nobody knows UConn is in the AAC. They don't really give it thought but when it comes up, they think Big East or ACC. I have to tell them about the American and then they get their bearings that it's the conference with USF and Houston etc. Then they say, "Wtf?" To which I reply, "I know, it's bad". I'd rather play SJU and Seton Hall over every team in the AAC except maybe Temple and that's only because Temple is a bigger basketball name at this point.

Prep boys basketball: CSN's Trent Buttrick commits to Penn State

Reaction Score
Here's a link to a story about a kid with a PSU offer (basketball) than ran today. Notice what the article says in regard to the Power 5 conferences:

"Next year Buttrick can add his name to the elite short list of players from Collier County who played basketball for one of Division I’s Power Five conferences – the Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12 or Southeastern Conference (SEC)."

Poor PAC12... relegated down.

Reaction Score

Did you really just quote a paper that named those conferences as the P5?

Reaction Score
Breaking news...money drives college sports, particularly football and basketball.

You show me a perineal power program and I'll show you a program that spends in that sport. Alabama football isn't just the best football program in the country it also has the most expensive football program in the country. Ditto for Kentucky in basketball or UNC or Duke. If Texas isn't winning in football then they go out and hire Houston's coach. How do they do that? By paying more money.."profit " is what pays the coaches salaries and build the facilities..so winning requires money and money greatly increases the chances of winning.

Honestly your last 15 posts have become more ridulous and illogical. You've argued everything from UConn's basketball recruiting classes should be re-ranked because you don't see the talent despite being independently ranked by numerous impartial services, to the AAC would agree to UConn removing its most valuable programs (men's and women's basketball) while keeping our underperforming football program there, to money isn't important in college sports.

Do yourself a favor and put yourself in posting timeout for a day until your head clears. I'm not personally attacking you, I'm trying to keep you from embarrassing yourself anymore.
Your argument has some merit snd money can buy championships and records, but look at Villanova, Butler, Gonzaga. Big rich schools? Does UCONN spend the most on it's woman's program than any other school? 90 some odd games in a row, I guess they spend more than the whole BIG 10. Right? Hey you know what Gampels roof leaks, and sometimes they have to play their home games at the Civic Center. What about perennial powers in D2 college sports, or pro football, baseball and basketball? Do the pro teams with the largest payroll always there. How about pro teams with the smallest payrolls, are any of them always there? Sometimes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did you really just quote a paper that named those conferences as the P5?

Yep. That's the whole point. Most people don't follow realignment like we do. The typical fan across the country still thinks UConn is in the Big East and that the Big East is a major conference.

Reaction Score
Yep. That's the whole point. Most people don't follow realignment like we do. The typical fan across the country still thinks UConn is in the Big East and that the Big East is a major conference.
I have to ask, who gives 2 shts what someone so ill-informed thinks about what conference we are or aren't in? And what bearing does the perception of the "typical" fan have on absolutely anything especially if they are so clueless?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I have to ask, who gives 2 shts what someone so ill-informed thinks about what conference we are or aren't in? And what bearing does the perception of the "typical" fan have on absolutely anything especially if they are so clueless?
Perception is reality, never forget that.

Reaction Score
Well that's deep. If you believe the perception of casual basketball fans in southwestern Florida has any effect on UCONN basketball's reality I'm not sure what to say.

It's like some of you have this bizarre inferiority complex where you care so much about what people that don't matter think. Win games, that's all that matters because wins and losses are reality. No matter what you believe, fans all over the country have no power over that either way.

Reaction Score
Sure, except where reality is reality, and in reality the Big East isn't in the P5, so when the split happens they're regardless of how many articles say they're in the P5.

Reaction Score
Your argument has some merit snd money can buy championships and records, but look at Villanova, Butler, Gonzaga. Big rich schools? Does UCONN spend the most on it's woman's program than any other school? 90 some odd games in a row, I guess they spend more than the whole BIG 10. Right? Hey you know what Gampels roof leaks, and sometimes they have to play their home games at the Civic Center. What about perennial powers in D2 college sports, or pro football, baseball and basketball? Do the pro teams with the largest payroll always there. How about pro teams with the smallest payrolls, are any of them always there? Sometimes.

Yes the UConn women do spend more than other competitors. See link below. UConn pays more because UConn cares about women's basketball. It is our premier program. Just like Alabama in football or Kentucky in men's basketball. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your argument.

The best paid women's coach is a man - UConn's Geno Auriemma

Can a smaller program succeed like a Butler or Gonzaga in basketball? Sure but the odds of consistently outperforming the marque P5 programs are stacked against them. Jay Wright may be the best coach in Men's basketball and if a P5 program doubles what Nova pays him he may take it. Money increases the chance of success. "Always" isn't the standard...

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Sure, except where reality is reality, and in reality the Big East isn't in the P5, so when the split happens they're regardless of how many articles say they're in the P5.
The big east is still a great conference, and as it stands the perception of their strength as a conference may very well indeed be greater than the numbers show, but at the end of the day the committee will more closely resemble the public perceptions opinion of what "strength" is in terms of conferences and ranking resumes.

This same concept works against UConn in the rankings and tournament seeding but due to the weak perception of the American. Last year before the AAC tournament then numbers largely showed us as an at-large bid, but when the press started gearing up for the conference tournament season, the narrative shifted that UConn needed to win a game or two in the AACT just to have a shot at dancing, and I still think our seeding that year was far lower than where our resume deserved to be.

As for the Big east splitting who knows, personally I think it's wishful thinking by those who are anti-NCAA, I don't think it's a realistic course of events. I think everyone who "matters" is eating plenty well right now and these things have so many moving parts.

My opinion is that UConn needs D1 football to maintain that perception as a "real" athletic program, no matter how poor the current perception of the football program may be. But I will say this UConn's potential ceiling for football success while residing in the AAC is maybe a very limited due to the cultural and geographic restrictions that are just a part of college football, but our ceiling in basketball is HEAVILY capped by the AAC. We need to weigh the options and decide if a slightly greater growth potential in football in the AAC will pay off (P5) at the expense of our future potential in the sport that we know to be king here.

Last edited:

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Well that's deep. If you believe the perception of casual basketball fans in southwestern Florida has any effect on UCONN basketball's reality I'm not sure what to say.

It's like some of you have this bizarre inferiority complex where you care so much about what people that don't matter think. Win games, that's all that matters because wins and losses are reality. No matter what you believe, fans all over the country have no power over that either way.
You act like perceptions of programs only applies to the "casual fan in southeast Florida". University ADs and President's harbor the same perceptions as the constituents they represent. When it comes down to deciding who to take in expansion these opinions hold heavy weight, we have seen it multiple times now in missed expansion opportunities. Obviously they look at numbers but then numbers have always shown UConn as P5 worthy, yet here we are 5 years later still in this *hole. At what point will you accept that maybe others with influence simply don't value what you perceive as UConn's strengths as much you do.

Reaction Score
The big east is still a great conference, and as it stands the perception of their strength as a conference may very well indeed be greater than the numbers show, but at the end of the day the committee will more closely resemble the public perceptions opinion of what "strength" is in terms of conferences and ranking resumes.

This same concept works against UConn in the rankings and tournament seeding but due to the weak perception of the American. Last year before the AAC tournament then numbers largely showed us as an at-large bid, but when the press started gearing up for the conference tournament season, the narrative shifted that UConn needed to win a game or two in the AACT just to have a shot at dancing, and I still think our seeding that year was far lower than where our resume deserved to be.
The committee doesn't even look at conference or public perception. They just evaluate every team's total body of work, based mainly upon RPI metrics. Our resume going into the tournament last year was an RPI of 32, or the last 8 seed. We got a 9. Our seed wasn't remotely far lower than where our resume deserved to be.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
The committee doesn't even look at conference or public perception. They just evaluate every team's total body of work, based mainly upon RPI metrics. Our resume going into the tournament last year was an RPI of 32, or the last 8 seed. We got a 9. Our seed wasn't remotely far lower than where our resume deserved to be.
When you are evaluating 68 of the best teams in the country, with resumes that are largely similar and subjective, personal opinions of strength can make a difference between a 9 seed or a 6 seed.

Reaction Score
Yes the UConn women do spend more than other competitors. See link below. UConn pays more because UConn cares about women's basketball. It is our premier program. Just like Alabama in football or Kentucky in men's basketball. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your argument.

The best paid women's coach is a man - UConn's Geno Auriemma

Can a smaller program succeed like a Butler or Gonzaga in basketball? Sure but the odds of consistently outperforming the marque P5 programs are stacked against them. Jay Wright may be the best coach in Men's basketball and if a P5 program doubles what Nova pays him he may take it. Money increases the chance of success. "Always" isn't the standard..
That's just the coaches salary, womens programs like Kentucky and Texas lost more than Geno made in the calendar year, and they still suck. On UCONN, did the big money come first or did Geno? As I recall, John Toner hired him in a Dunkin Donuts for less than I make now. Even now, if the AD asked Geno to take a pay cut to help build a new football stadium, what do you think he would say? You guys have no clue.

Reaction Score
When you are evaluating 68 of the best teams in the country, with resumes that are largely similar and subjective, personal opinions of strength can make a difference between a 9 seed or a 6 seed.
Hey, it's some more ridiculously hilarious made up stuff, following all the made up stuff about the conference impacting UConn's seed in the last post. Quite a surprise.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Hey, it's some more ridiculously hilarious made up stuff, following all the made up stuff about the conference impacting UConn's seed in the last post. Quite a surprise.
Can you ever be part of a discussion without turning doing your usual thing of quickly devolving into a massive doosh when you run out of points to make? This isnt a math problem, there isnt just one single obvious answer, both of us are basing our point on various arguments and obviously some based on conjecture. If you think NCAA seeding consists of just entering all the scores and schedules for the season and a computer spitting out seeds 1-68 then I'd say you are the one who needs to re-evaluate you're entire argument.

Reaction Score
Can you ever be part of a discussion without turning doing your usual thing of quickly devolving into a massive doosh when you run out of points to make? This isnt a math problem, there isnt just one single obvious answer, both of us are basing our point on various arguments and obviously some based on conjecture. If you think NCAA seeding consists of just entering all the scores and schedules for the season and a computer spitting out seeds 1-68 then I'd say you are the one who needs to re-evaluate you're entire argument.
The problem is in order for this to be an actual discussion, you'd have to stop making things up. You say I've run out of points to make, but the only relevant point here is that you keep making things up.

When you make a comment like this:
I still think our seeding that year was far lower than where our resume deserved to be.
There's not a discussion to be had, beyond stating that a quick look at the most basic metrics will tell you it's factually false.

Or a comment like this:
personal opinions of strength can make a difference between a 9 seed or a 6 seed.
What's to discuss? It's a kooky conspiracy theory based again, on zero facts.

Reaction Score
We have been in the AAC for four years now and not much have change conference wise. Our future looks dark and ugly right now. I'm tired of waiting for a P-5 conference. If the ACC or Big 10 really wanted us they would have taken us already. I miss the old Big East and if the BE welcome us back then I would take the invitation.

I would love to resume playing against Villanova, Georgetown, St. John's, Seton Hall, and yes...even Providence. Marquette has a bright future. Xavier, Butler, and Creighton have proved to be great additions in the BE. DePaul?....not much can be said about them. BE teams are still a better option than most of the ACC teams. I miss driving down to NY, PA, and RI.

Believe it or not our brand is fading slowly. If BE is willing accept us then I would take it. Hell I would deal with the PC trolls again if that is what it takes. Honestly I think they are funny....sometimes. I know there are PC fans out there that actually miss us. Same goes for Gtown Fans.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Facts are things like me saying "we were 32 in the RPI on Selection Sunday and got a 9 seed". See, it's not my opinion that we were 32 in the RPI, it says we were number 32 on the official report that the selection committee uses in their process. You can actually go out to the NCAA website and see all the documents the selection committee uses in their process, and the information contained in those documents is what normal thinking people call facts.

Feel free to continue thinking a group of people conspired to drop us a couple of seed lines because we play in the AAC though.
Why are you blowing this out of proportion? Probably in an attempt to make others look dumb to prop yourself up, your usual MO. I never said it's a conspiracy, I'm saying that when a group of resumes are in a similar tier, a P5 team will likely get the nod over a G5 team all other things being equal. Whether it be a perceived greater strength of schedule playing P5 teams or the usual name brands that always seem to be seeded above their record (Duke, MSU) there are advantages presented to power teams that aren't explicitly written on the documents on the NCAA website. 8 pages of conversation and this is what you chose to blow your load over.

Reaction Score
Why are you blowing this out of proportion? Probably in an attempt to make others look dumb to prop yourself up, your usual MO. I never said it's a conspiracy, I'm saying that when a group of resumes are in a similar tier, a P5 team will likely get the nod over a G5 team all other things being equal. Whether it be a perceived greater strength of schedule playing P5 teams or the usual name brands that always seem to be seeded above their record (Duke, MSU) there are advantages presented to power teams that aren't explicitly written on the documents on the NCAA website. 8 pages of conversation and this is what you chose to blow your load over.
You just asked me to provide my facts multiple times in your last post, so I did. Nothing is getting blown out of proportion.

You exist on an amazing level of stupid.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
You just asked me to provide my facts multiple times in your last post, so I did. Nothing is getting blown out of proportion.

You exist on an amazing level of stupid.
You are easily one of the most unpleasant people I've ever had to interact with through a text-only medium.

Reaction Score
You are easily one of the most unpleasant people I've ever had to interact with through a text-only medium.
Yes, I'm sure it's frustrating to deal with someone who sheds light on some of your ridiculous comments and can back up his thoughts with actual facts and reason.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Yes, I'm sure it's frustrating to deal with someone who sheds light on some of your ridiculous comments and can back up his thoughts with actual facts and reason.
LMAO, you are a broken record, you're only contribution here has been repeatedly reminding us how smart you are, thanks dude. Also I'm sure your facts will support the idea that no AAC team will ever get snubbed come selection Sunday, it's statistically impossible according to facts.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Here's a podcast discussing your reasoning that the NCAA's seeding is purely based on these "facts" you refer to: Podcenter - ESPN

And let me save you the trouble of replying, Cowherd is an idiot and lucky to be half as smart as you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom