UConn to the Big East? | The Boneyard

UConn to the Big East?

Reaction Score
20.jpg

Reaction Score
Seems like there is some substance to this - at this point it seems like UConn is at least serious about the possibility.

I'm still skeptical that this is viable. First, the AAC would have to sign off on keeping us aboard as a football-only member. I don't see where we have any leverage there.

Second, the Big East would probably need some re-assurance that UConn is, at least for a decade or so, without hope of anything bigger.

The round robin thing can be negotiated - the ACC is moving to 20 conference games and it would make sense for the Big East to follow suit if they add an 11th member.

Reaction Score
I'm still skeptical that this is viable. First, the AAC would have to sign off on keeping us aboard as a football-only member. I don't see where we have any leverage there.
This is my hangup as well, but who would the AAC drop UConn for? So. Miss? UMass? Middle Tennessee? If UConn football found itself without a home, it would be the most attractive brand available save for the pipe dreams of BYU, Boise State, and SDSU. I'd imagine if a MBB/WBB scheduling deal could be worked out the American may go for it.

I'm going to go with a 90% chance this move never happens, but can't help to find it intriguing that rumors of a potential move ramp up as our old Big East money dwindles and a potential Wichita State basketball-only membership is floated.

Reaction Score
I've said this many times but this is not the solution. We can hardly claim that we are too good for a league where we regularly finish 6th or so. And it is a disgrace that a league with UConn Temple Memphis SMU Cincinnati Tulsa is this bad. Of that group only Cronin has kept his program where it should be. Memphis looks like they are serious but not so sure about the rest.

Reaction Score
What is in it for the BE? I doubt that they would want a school that will bolt at the first P5 invitation. The truth is they don't need us and there would be a lot of resistance from the BE schools.

Reaction Score
What is in it for the BE? I doubt that they would want a school that will bolt at the first P5 invitation. The truth is they don't need us and there would be a lot of resistance from the BE schools.

TV ratings. They're bleeding viewers. I don't think this happens but if it did, that's the reason.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Bigger tv deal would be my guess. Fox knows the following UConn brings, if this is true I could see it as a leverage play against ESPN. I don't see it happening though.

Reaction Score
TV ratings. They're bleeding viewers. I don't think this happens but if it did, that's the reason.

Not sure where you are getting your info, but the Big East ratings on the various fox platforms are way up this year. FS1 games are routinely surpassing ESPN2 games this year, which is a huge improvement from the initial season or two. FOX is extremely happy with the trendline.

Adding UCONN would add more game inventory, which they need, and hopefully you guys regain your footing a little and give us another perennial top 25 program. I like it, as long as you euthanize your big time football dreams.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I like it, as long as you euthanize your big time football dreams.
Not going to happen until it's absolutely necessary. The State invested funds in the upgrade, UConn is the flagship school. You don't just blow that up when things become a financial squeeze (a handful of vocal posters on this site notwithstanding).

Reaction Score
I see this happening soon. The athletic department will not let the basketball program fall.
Hard to know what the administration is thinking but the huge investment in football has to be a major factor. UConn would alienate some of UConn's biggest donors if they dropped Div. 1 football. I think that they give Edsall a shot at making the football program relevant. If it doesn't work and P5 invitations seem unlikely then they will examine conference options to save the basketball program. If we don't drop Div. 1 football I don't think we would have much of a chance of getting into the BE.
Anything can happen because conference realignment is very fluid.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
OK, here it is:

1. If it makes UConn more money then they'd be nuts not to explore options.

2. FB would need a home before any of this is even contemplated.

3. The BE would be the obvious choice should they find a FB only home.

4. They are not dropping FB, under any circumstance.

5. These are easy click bait stories to write as they require no proof. See the WV idiots.

6. Fox is only paying slightly more for the BE than ESPN is paying for the AAC.

7. ESPN will increase its payout to the AAC in the next contract, though it won't be P5 level money.

8. The AAC won't let UConn park FB.

9. There are few other viable options outside of the P5 for FB.

10. This isn't happening.

/thread.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
OK, here it is:

1. If it makes UConn more money then they'd be nuts not to explore options.

2. FB would need a home before any of this is even contemplated.

3. The BE would be the obvious choice should they find a FB only home.

4. They are not dropping FB, under any circumstance.

5. These are easy click bait stories to write as they require no proof. See the WV idiots.

6. Fox is only paying slightly more for the BE than ESPN is paying for the AAC.

7. ESPN will increase its payout to the AAC in the next contract, though it won't be P5 level money.

9. There are few other viable options outside of the P5 for FB.

10. This isn't happening.

/thread.

Agree with everything except this:

We don't know that. It's reasonable speculation, but we certainly don't know that it is the case. And if that one thing on you list changes...then #10 could change. UConn is not going to put football into any league that is worse than the American (every non P5). So unless the AAC allows UConn to park football by itself, this concept is dead.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It's amazing to me how Duke can keep losing and being relatively average compared to the top 25 and they keep getting the benefit of the doubt.

And if you want to see why the media helps these programs out so much to the point it allows them to stockpile all Americans to come off the bench, just being a "good player" on one of these hyped squads gets you National Player of the Year discussion. Luke Kennard is a NPOY top 5 candidate? Why because he has kept Duke from falling out of the top 30?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Not sure where you are getting your info, but the Big East ratings on the various fox platforms are way up this year. FS1 games are routinely surpassing ESPN2 games this year, which is a huge improvement from the initial season or two. FOX is extremely happy with the trendline.

This is a laughably inaccurate statement. Those games are still drawing nothing and Fox is absolutely terrified about the baseball playoffs being 8 months away.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
From Wednesday, Feb. 1

ESPN2
Men’s College Basketball, Syracuse vs. NC State, 7-9:15pm: 0.38
Men’s College Basketball, Baylor vs. Kansas, 9:15-11pm: 0.74

FS1
Men’s College Basketball, Villanova vs. Providence, 7-9pm: 0.10
Men’s College Basketball, Seton Hall vs. Xavier, 9-11pm: 0.10

Congrats, you had one of the best teams in America getting 1/4th the audience of a Syracuse-NC State game. Good job, good effort.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom