UConn to the Big East? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn to the Big East?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Get your facts straight, our losses to Wagner and Northeastern and Oklahoma State came before the "worst string of injuries I can remember". This program has deeper problems than injuries. That basketball only conference has some of the best programs in the country, and would help recruiting IMO. Playing St Johns, Georgetown, Villanova, Butler and Xavier, once or twice a year each would make KO's job on the recruiting front much easier IMO.
Not saying nothing to do with the injuries, but losing to Wagner and Northeastern with the 3rd best recruiting class in the country, everyone healthy, and some dynamic sophomores is cause for concern. Lack of depth is one that is obvious, the other is KO's coaching style during games. When Calhoun was coach if you made one or two little mistakes you always got yanked and talked to no matter who you were. JC taught during games, KO should do more of that IMO.
Bet you don't even realize the contradiction you made in back to back posts.

Last edited:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
And therein lies the problem. We took a guy who was "learning his trade" to take over a power program he was fine as long as he didn't have to do much but once he had to actually coach he has shown time and again he is over his head. He should have spent a couple of years in the MAAC or somewhere to actually learn his trade.
You trolled constantly against JC during his tenure and demonstrated a preference to replacing him and now you are making a point to deride KO by pointing out JC's accomplishments.

First it was a jealousy the exposure of the men's bb program received relative to football. Now there is a fear that the failure of the men's bb program will undercut the development of the football program.

You must be JJ. He loved to bash JC and never considered the consequences it would have on his career.

Reaction Score
That's this year. The previous 3 years, the BE ranked 6, 10, 7, while the A10 was 7, 6, 9. No difference (actually a one point edge for the A10). The BE is basically the A10 in women's hoops. This is a down year for the A10, but we'll see if it's just an off year, or the beginning of a decline. The basic point is, the BE won't help the women. It's not a power league like it is in men's hoops. They would have to hope they could stand alone like Gonzaga, as opposed to becoming LaTech after Geno is gone.

I think you need a reality check. The A10 will never be the Big East in Men's or Women's basketball. There is a pecking order: P5/Big East, American, A10. Even if the A10 has a better year than the Big East the perception is that Big East basketball is better (that's what brand does). UConn women moving to the Big East would turn it into a power conference immediately (in the women's side). That's not the case for being in the American, or in the A-10

Reaction Score
Bet you don't even realize the contradiction you made in back to back posts.
Nope, I don't. Enlighten me. That being said, if what you think is a contradiction has to do with"injuries", then I gotta say your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Nope, I don't. Enlighten me.
Did you check the quotes that I put in bold. I went back and edited it so you may have read my comment before the editing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He's on my permanent ban list. Along with the Hurricanes. So paraphrase the salient point you agree with.
First two sentences: "They have beaten the bad teams. It is time they start beating some good ones."

Reaction Score
Did you check the quotes that I put in bold. I went back and edited it so you may have read my comment before the editing.
OK, I had been very critical of the other posters touting this year's class as the third best in the country. I think it is far from #3, maybe 20 or 25. I actually was quoting a couple previous posters, and this poster knew that. You didn't because you didn't read back far enough. My mistake, should have added quotes for your benefit on the 3rd best recruiting class.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
OK, I had been very critical of the other posters touting this year's class as the third best in the country. I think it is far from #3, maybe 20 or 25. I actually was quoting a couple previous posters, and this poster knew that. You didn't because you didn't read back far enough. My mistake, should have added quotes for your benefit on the 3rd best recruiting class.
It was third best prior to the injury that Durham suffered. I believe he had a top 15 rankings at time of commitment. Durham dropped in ranking because he didn't play after Dec 2015 and the class dropped accordingly. The injuries to AG, JD and of course Terry impacted the play that we could have observed this season.

No real way of proving it, but if people are excited by the improvements we saw with CV and VJ, there is little doubt imm that a healthy AG all season (plus the preseason injury had to set him back) would have made CV an afterthought. And I like CV. And if people love the improvement of KF we've observed from the beginning of the season there is little doubt that had JDurham not suffered that second ACL KF would also have been an afterthought. And I really like KF.

The Wagner loss makes the narrative easy to dismiss the recruiting improvement that KO had made with this class. It was a wtf loss. But understandable. Wagner hit 3's that game that was an aberration for that team. UConn team was still trying to integrate players to replace the losses of pivitol players from the previous years team. And unlike last night none of the players could get shots to go in. UConn had plenty of chances.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
First two sentences: "They have beaten the bad teams. It is time they start beating some good ones."
Hopefully they will. They are definitely playing better as a team even understanding the opponents they have beaten are poor calibre teams. But demanding more from the team? That's an arrogant inflammatory statement that is typical JJ.

It appeals to the fans hostile attitude when things are difficult. Even in yesterdays game you could see that Jalen really needed help with a second ball handler. The absence of AG makes a difference that anyone who has an agenda can overlook if they want to.

And we still have bigs (outside of Juwan and Terry) who began playing bb late. That's the APR result.

Reaction Score
It was third best prior to the injury that Durham suffered. I believe he had a top 15 rankings at time of commitment. Durham dropped in ranking because he didn't play after Dec 2015 and the class dropped accordingly. The injuries to AG, JD and of course Terry impacted the play that we could have observed this season.

No real way of proving it, but if people are excited by the improvements we saw with CV and VJ, there is little doubt imm that a healthy AG all season (plus the preseason injury had to set him back) would have made CV an afterthought. And I like CV. And if people love the improvement of KF we've observed from the beginning of the season there is little doubt that had JDurham not suffered that second ACL KF would also have been an afterthought. And I really like KF.

The Wagner loss makes the narrative easy to dismiss the recruiting improvement that KO had made with this class. It was a wtf loss. But understandable. Wagner hit 3's that game that was an aberration for that team. UConn team was still trying to integrate players to replace the losses of pivitol players from the previous years team. And unlike last night none of the players could get shots to go in. UConn had plenty of chances.
Even before Durham's injury, I think it was way, way overated. The losses to Northeastern and Wagner partially bear that out. Like I said, a good recruiting class, maybe 20 or 25, but #3? No way Jose. I think recruiting services can sometimes gloss over a three time National Champion, and not be as objective as they should. Fact is the AAC is a lousy basketball conference and a nightmare to recruit in for UCONN for several reasons. Hence a major reason why they want out. As a football conference it is much more solid.

H

huskymagic

Excellent article by Jeff Jacobs and yes at UCONN we as fans have to demand and expect excellence at this proud basketball program that Jim Calhoun built. I of course will always do that and aggressively so. With games at home against SMU and Cinci its time for Ollie to show what he is capable of and he needs to go 1-1 in those 2 games minimum anything less is unacceptable. That will build the momentum needed to win the AAC tournament which is what everyone's expectation should be no matter the situation.

PS: We're UCONN we're bred to cut down nets.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Even before Durham's injury, I think it was way, way overated. The losses to Northeastern and Wagner partially bear that out. Like I said, a good recruiting class, maybe 20 or 25, but #3? No way Jose. I think recruiting services can sometimes gloss over a three time National Champion, and not be as objective as they should. Fact is the AAC is a lousy basketball conference and a nightmare to recruit in for UCONN for several reasons. Hence a major reason why they want out. As a football conference it is much more solid.
Do you like the development over this season of Kentan and Christian? They are good players who've improved but imo they are a big step below the potential of Juwan and Alterique. Juwan showed the bb talent the kid has for the first time in the USF game. He does things that Kentan most likely will never do.

Chritian is a terrific blue collar bb player with a decent outside shot. The playing time he got because of Alterique's injury is one of the few positives that came from the injury impacts. But Christian is very unlikely to be considered better than Alterique after four years unless Alterique can't recover.

You're judging the class by one game (the Wagner loss. Northeaster is decent) and that was still a period in which a lot of integral parts were being defined and the team couldn't make any shots. So if the entire class is predicated on that loss, I think in the long run you will be proven wrong.

Reaction Score
Do you like the development over this season of Kentan and Christian? They are good players who've improved but imo they are a big step below the potential of Juwan and Alterique. Juwan showed the bb talent the kid has for the first time in the USF game. He does things that Kentan most likely will never do.

Chritian is a terrific blue collar bb player with a decent outside shot. The playing time he got because of Alterique's injury is one of the few positives that came from the injury impacts. But Christian is very unlikely to be considered better than Alterique after four years unless Alterique can't recover.

You're judging the class by one game (the Wagner loss. Northeaster is decent) and that was still a period in which a lot of integral parts were being defined and the team couldn't make any shots. So if the entire class is predicated on that loss, I think in the long run you will be proven wrong.
I said those two losses PARTIALLY bear out the fact that this class was way, way, overated. You say Northeastern's good? Mind you I'm not disagreeing, but what was their recruiting class ranked, or their past five recruiting classes? 120? 185?

Listen to what you are saying when you say, or listen to what some recruiting service is saying, that they had the third best recruiting class in the nation. To say that only Kentucky and maybe Duke (or another team) had a better recruiting class than us, is beyond a stretch, it's crazy. You're also saying that UCONN had a better recruiting class than everyone in the SEC and ACC (except for one team each), the NBE, the Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, and Gonzaga. If you believe that then I think you and the recruiting service that said this are drinking UCONN Kool Aid. Also if UCONN had been recruiting decent big men the past four years do you seriously believe that Brimah would still be starting as a senior? I mean, come on.

Last edited:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Excellent article by Jeff Jacobs and yes at UCONN we as fans have to demand and expect excellence at this proud basketball program that Jim Calhoun built. I of course will always do that and aggressively so. With games at home against SMU and Cinci its time for Ollie to show what he is capable of and he needs to go 1-1 in those 2 games minimum anything less is unacceptable. That will build the momentum needed to win the AAC tournament which is what everyone's expectation should be no matter the situation.

PS: We're UCONN we're bred to cut down nets.
Did you notice the three times yesterday that Brimah fumbled the ball on good passes?

I like Brimah. He's working hard to improve and he's making some small improvements. But currently he's demonstrated serious limitations which should limit anyones expectations for this team going forward. I guess if you don't accept his limitations than it's easy to wave the UConn flag like a magic wand and put the onus on coaching.

I do agree with you that one or more victories against Cinci and SMU can provide the confidence this team sorely needs to improve it's chances of winning an AAC tournament championship.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hopefully they will. They are definitely playing better as a team even understanding the opponents they have beaten are poor calibre teams. But demanding more from the team? That's an arrogant inflammatory statement that is typical JJ.

It appeals to the fans hostile attitude when things are difficult. Even in yesterdays game you could see that Jalen really needed help with a second ball handler. The absence of AG makes a difference that anyone who has an agenda can overlook if they want to.

And we still have bigs (outside of Juwan and Terry) who began playing bb late. That's the APR result.
Fleud, you are welcome to carry my water anytime.

Reaction Score
I said those two losses PARTIALLY bear out the fact that this class was way, way, overated. You say Northeastern's good? Mind you I'm not disagreeing, but what was their recruiting class ranked, or their past five recruiting classes? 120? 185?

Listen to what you are saying when you say, or listen to what some recruiting service is saying, that they had the third best recruiting class in the nation. To say that only Kentucky and maybe Duke (or another team) had a better recruiting class than us, is beyond a stretch, it's crazy. You're also saying that UCONN had a better recruiting class than everyone in the SEC and ACC (except for one team each), the NBE, the Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, and Gonzaga. If you believe that then I think you and the recruiting service that said this are drinking UCONN Kool Aid.

Recruiting classes are ranked before they even play a game (just like college football). You want to argue the results in hindsight that's fine/fair I guess but the rankings are complete before the season starts.

They were as high as #3 at one point as Fleud points out. Final 247 Composite (compilation of all recruiting sites) had them (UConn) as the #8 class in Final 2016 rankings.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

Listen to what you are saying when you say, or listen to what some recruiting service is saying, that they had the third best recruiting in the nation. To say that only Kentucky and maybe Duke (or another team) had a better recruiting class than us, is a joke fact. You're also saying that UCONN had a better recruiting class than everyone in the SEC and ACC (except for one team each), the NBE, the Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, and Gonzaga. If you believe that then I think you and the recruiting service that said this are drinking UCONN Kool Aid.
As @huskymedic pointed out the classes were a composite ranking of several services. And rankings are just guesses as to potential of players in college. Those kids were given those ranking before their verbals and didn't receive a bump because they were accepted into UConn. As I pointed out Durham dropped to 52 from top 15.

You have a narrative. The AAC is hurting recruiting. I think it impacts it but no where near the degree you treat it. I like this class. I think when all is said and done you will as well. Let's hope the injuries end, the kids recover to what they were at the time of the #3 ranking and decide from there.

Reaction Score
Recruiting classes are ranked before they even play a game (just like college football). You want to argue the results in hindsight that's fine/fair I guess but the rankings are complete before the season starts.

They were as high as #3 at one point as Fleud points out. Final 247 Composite (compilation of all recruiting sites) had them (UConn) as the #8 class in Final 2016 rankings.
Well thanks Medic for setting me straight, gee I didn't know.

Reaction Score
As @huskymedic pointed out the classes were a composite ranking of several services. And rankings are just guesses as to potential of players in college. Those kids were given those ranking before their verbals and didn't receive a bump because they were accepted into UConn. As I pointed out Durham dropped to 52 from top 15.

You have a narrative. The AAC is hurting recruiting. I think it impacts it but no where near the degree you treat it. I like this class. I think when all is said and done you will as well. Let's hope the injuries end, the kids recover to what they were at the time of the #3 ranking and decide from there.
I said in a previous post that it's a good class, before Durham was injured, maybe 20 or 25, but that's it. I also said that recruiting services can sometimes not be as objective as they should and gloss over on the freshman class of a three time National Champion.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I said in a previous post that it's a good class, before Durham was injured, maybe 20 or 25, but that's it. I also said that recruiting services can sometimes not be as objective as they should and gloss over on the freshman class of a three time National Champion.
If they gloss over the freshman class of a 3 time National Champion what do they do for those 4X National Champions? LOL rob. We can agree to disagree on the class ranking but let's not get the numbers wrong about NCs. It's Cuse that should have lost their one NC for cheating. The NCAA cheated UConn with the APR and UConn still managed to get an NC.

Reaction Score
If they gloss over the freshman class of a 3 time National Champion what do they do for those 4X National Champions? LOL rob. We can agree to disagree on the class ranking but let's not get the numbers wrong about NCs. It's Cuse that should have lost their one NC for cheating. The NCAA cheated UConn with the APR and UConn still managed to get an NC.
My mistake, but I think you need to reduce your expectations for this class. Ollie can't recruit in this league, hence a major reason for the move. If he had recruited decent big men over the last four years we'd have a better inside presence and Brimah would be 6 or 7 off the bench.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
My mistake, but I think you need to reduce your expectations for this class. Ollie can't recruit in this league, hence a major reason for the move. If he had recruited decent big men over the last four years we'd have a better inside presence and Brimah would be 6 or 7 off the bench.
I think the APR was the major reason and not the AAC.
And Durham was limited by injuries and Zach was limited by losing control.

The AAC is a distant fourth. Besides the AAC is on par with the SEC basketball wise outside of Kentucky and the Big 12 and Pac have struggled in the recent past. I'm concerned for the future of UConn's programs, but I don't think the concern will prove out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom