UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 62 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
6 tentative yeses and 10 no. Well this should now put dreams of the B12 in the rear view mirror. I did say this a year ago stating our football program is the problem. Best to wait for the fallout with the AAC. They have D1 football unlike the Big East, have some valuable basketball cache and it’s a better geographical fit. I would think that Duke, NC, NC State along with us would appeal to the media outlets.
was the 10 nos confirmed? Last I heard we had 6/8 which is already 75% of that sample

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So now what? Enjoy another year of BE basketball
The ugly truth is if we got a big 12 invite, I would've been relieved, but also maybe just a little disappointed. We need P* money, that's for sure, but I'm enjoying being in the big east. Hopefully we eventually find a power conference home, but until then don't worry about it.

Reaction Score
that statement by Dave Benedict is the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen
I agree. How about he go do his job. Sugar coating a bad situation. Why can’t he hire talented football people to right that ship

Reaction Score
I agree. How about he go do his job. Sugar coating a bad situation. Why can’t he hire talented football people to right that ship
Talented football people aren't interested

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
was the 10 nos confirmed? Last I heard we had 6/8 which is already 75% of that sample
No. Don’t listen to Kobe with the 10 nos. Last report was 6 yes, 2 no, and 8 unknowns/undecided.

Reaction Score
We dodged a bullet. Joining the Big 12 but having football linger out until 2031 would have been the final nail in football's coffin.
Agreed. There was no upside to their proposal. I feel disrespected and we should make that entire league crawl back under their rocks if they cross our path. I hope that happens.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Agreed. There was no upside to their proposal. I feel disrespected and we should make that entire league crawl back under their rocks if they cross our path. I hope that happens.

The time isn't right. I think a lot if going to change soon.

Reaction Score
We are forked. Options:
  • AAC football only with Army & Navy. But they won't take us.
  • Sun Belt, MWC, C-USA, MAC football only. They won't take us.
  • CAA football only with Maine, UNH, URI, Albany, Stony Brook, Villanova, etc. What's the point.
How about a revival of the Yankee Conference.

Reaction Score
Our football stock is worthless in the eyes of power conferences. Even toxic. Only way it gets better is for the football team to make themselves better. Nothing else will save it.

SMH we upgraded to 1-A & built a $93 million stadium in East Hartford and 20 years later this is where we are?

Reaction Score
I had heard a probable 6 yesses, 4 firm nos and the other 6 could swing either way. But we’d need all those undecided to vote yes.

Reaction Score
The ugly truth is if we got a big 12 invite, I would've been relieved, but also maybe just a little disappointed. We need P* money, that's for sure, but I'm enjoying being in the big east. Hopefully we eventually find a power conference home, but until then don't worry about it.
My feelings exactly.

Reaction Score
We will be playing for NIT championships in a decade. If u think the P2/3 are focused only on fb, you’re not paying attention
The tournament is only going to get bigger, more teams.

Reaction Score
Our football stock is worthless in the eyes of power conferences. Even toxic. Only way it gets better is for the football team to make themselves better. Nothing else will save it.

SMH we upgraded to 1-A & built a $93 million stadium in East Hartford and 20 years later this is where we are?
Yep. Great foresight as usual.

Reaction Score

Our football stock is worse than worthless. I honestly think we would have a better chance at an invite if we didn't play football.

Reaction Score
Painful as it is, after watching BC dismantle Florida State, I think their chances to be admitted to the Big12 or BiG exceed ours.

Reaction Score

AD Dave last week was ‘tired of being disrespected’. Now he really means it and is ‘ very very tired of being disrespected ‘. So fix it!!!

Reaction Score
It’s just a matter of time until this whole thing implodes. Both B12 and ACC will not be able to keep up with the P2. Then they’ll realize the drawbacks of these long distance adds.
We’ll end up in a conference with Syracuse, BC, Duke, UNC, Ga Tech, Pitt, Virginia, and others. If a couple get poached there are options to backfill. Now is not the time too panic.
If the end game is P2 with 48 teams based on football strength (or grandfathered in) then do be it. They’d have no claim for the best basketball based on champs the last 20-30 years. So if we play mid level football against regional rivals that would provide the best product for our fan base. Do people really think our fan culture can compete with Alabama, Texas, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State.? Those fan bases will do anything to win at all costs and through whatever means.
You are 100% correct sir.

Reaction Score
Ok, but Georgetown was many X better than Villanova back in the day. Villanova may be the worst team in the league aside from DePaul, which is also a historic basketball power with rich tradition. So Nova can absolutely suck for a long time and will if they don’t fire Neptune yesterday. Dom Perno >>>>>>>> Neptune. He’s that bad.

I‘m not saying the league is doomed. But the post I replied to suggested something crazy. The truth is the Big XII without UConn is better than the Big East with UConn. If UConn makes the move, no conference is even close. The time will come, and we’ve seen it already with Nate Oates to Bama, when the basketball only schools can’t afford the coaches anymore. We are on borrowed time. You know that.
While I agree with the most of your post the one exception is Dom Perno isn’t >>>>>>>>>>> than anyone. ( I played for him for 1 year at South Catholic High School ( he was the freshman coach under Gary Palladino JV and Joe Reilly Varsity) and we went something like 3-18 freshman year to 18-3 with basically the same team, just a different coach ( Palladino who became HC @ UHart ). How he ended up at UConn was always a mystery for me but it ended up with us getting JC ( because JC’s Northeastern team smoked UConn in the Connecticut Christmas classic). A little trivia. JMHO

Reaction Score
I assume it was cincy, houston, and UCF - they are not any more deserving of the power 4 than we are. Yes they all had one or 2 good football seasons to hang their hat on (eg. UCF 2017 "nat'l championship") but that balances out with our sustained and undisputable basketball success.

maybe i'm wrong, but something in me tells me they don't like us because they just fought hard to get out of G5 purgatory and don't want to dilute their accomplishment by having us in there too.

Cincinnati has been to the Sugar, Orange, Peach and Cotton Bowls and the CFPs. Cincinnati along with TCU contributed to the Big 12's new increased CFP payouts due to their CFP appearances.

UCF has been to two Fiesta Bowls and a Peach Bowl and has had an undefeated season.

Houston has had a recent history of a Top 10 season and a Peach Bowl appearance and a Top 20 season. And an overall history and tradition that includes three Cotton Bowls and a Heisman Trophy winner.

All three did it in huge TV, media and recruiting markets. That's why they got P4 invites.

That's where the money is. UConn's football is killing them. That's what cost them an ACC invite over Louisville and it's hurting UConn with the Big 12. Especially with the extended struggles save for Mora's Bowl appearance.

Also I would bet that Cincinnati and UCF were yes votes.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati has been to the Sugar, Orange, Peach and Cotton Bowls and the CFPs. Cincinnati along with TCU contributed to the Big 12's new increased CFP payouts due to their CFP appearances.

UCF has been to two Fiesta Bowls and a Peach Bowl and has had an undefeated season.

Houston has had a recent history of a Top 10 season and a Peach Bowl appearance and a Top 20 season. And an overall history and tradition that includes three Cotton Bowls and a Heisman Trophy winner.

All three did it in huge TV, media and recruiting markets. That's why they got P4 invites.

That's where the money is. UConn's football is killing them. That's what cost them an ACC invite over Louisville and it's hurting UConn with the Big 12. Especially with the extended struggles save for Mora's Bowl appearance.

Also I would bet that Cincinnati and UCF were yes votes.
Thanks for enlightening us.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
While I agree with the most of your post the one exception is Dom Perno isn’t >>>>>>>>>>> than anyone. ( I played for him for 1 year at South Catholic High School ( he was the freshman coach under Gary Palladino JV and Joe Reilly Varsity) and we went something like 3-18 freshman year to 18-3 with basically the same team, just a different coach ( Palladino who became HC @ UHart ). How he ended up at UConn was always a mystery for me but it ended up with us getting JC ( because JC’s Northeastern team smoked UConn in the Connecticut Christmas classic). A little trivia. JMHO
Perno stole the ball from Bill Bradley in the sweet sixteen, clinching the game and our first ever trip to the regional finals some sixty years ago.

From then through the time that we finally let him go (two decades after the fact) a very large portion of our fan base only saw Dom Perno the tournament hero when they looked at him. That played a massive role in his being added to the staff, promoted to head coach and avoiding termination for far too many years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom