UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 61 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
If the rumor that ESPN was willing to pay to have UConn in the Big12, and ESPN really DOES want UConn as part of their inventory (without having to share UConn with Fox and thereby achieving a coup against them by taking away the prize of the Big East), then they could try to convince the ACC, though I don't see this happening without rewriting the GOR and placating Clemson and FSU. I think Van Halen reuniting for a tour has a greater chance of happening (RIP EVH).
Rumors are just that rumors. If ESPN wanted UConn in they would be in. Don't trust ESPN.

Reaction Score
This 100%. The college athletics landscape is going to look drastically different in 5 years. I would have preferred the B12 invite happened so we could be on the P4 side when it happens but have no doubt we will end up in a good place that’s more in line with our fan base.
Culturally we are a much better fit for the ACC. They could easily make a run at being the best hoops conference by taking us and adding something like Villanova, St John’s, Marquette, and Gonzaga in a basketball alliance. Maybe Tulane?
Plus I do believe conferences by sports is the future.
I think the lesson once again is that basketball is meaningless in conference realignment. Every power conference is based on football as number one. If anyone thinks the ACC is going to take UConn because of basketball, you are dreaming. They will take Memphis and Tulane, and possibly USF before they take UConn. Don't count on help from ESPN. Not happening.

Reaction Score
This 100%. The college athletics landscape is going to look drastically different in 5 years. I would have preferred the B12 invite happened so we could be on the P4 side when it happens but have no doubt we will end up in a good place that’s more in line with our fan base.
Culturally we are a much better fit for the ACC. They could easily make a run at being the best hoops conference by taking us and adding something like Villanova, St John’s, Marquette, and Gonzaga in a basketball alliance. Maybe Tulane?
Plus I do believe conferences by sports is the future.
What is the ACC culturally? It's going to be castoffs and the terrible Texas and West Coast additions eventually.

Reaction Score
I don't think Yormark screwed us or anything. He truly wants UConn. He just can't get the rest of the Big 12 to see the benefits he sees. Bottom line.

TBH, I think a lot of the presidents are waiting to see if FSU and/or Clemson become available. They'd be kicking themselves if they took UConn and for reason weren't able to pick up one or both of those schools.

The bigger problem now is that our FB team will continue to struggle with attendance. Yes they need to win but playing mediocre teams that no one gives two poops about is not going to put any butts in the seats. Even if they are winning, no one is selling out the Rent to see us play GA St or Buffalo. That's a big problem with no conference affiliation.

Yeah but playing P4 schools and losing by 5 touchdowns won’t help either. We are a low G5 football school right now. If our football looked like Maryland did Saturday we would already be in the Big12.

Reaction Score
What is the ACC clause on pro-rata? Is it just P4 additions or any addition? If it's the latter, might be worth pitching them adding us, Wazzu, and Oregon st at a diminished payout.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think the lesson once again is that basketball is meaningless in conference realignment. Every power conference is based on football as number one. If anyone thinks the ACC is going to take UConn because of basketball, you are dreaming. They will take Memphis and Tulane, and possibly USF before they take UConn. Don't count on help from ESPN. Not happening.
It might happen, but only if ESPN thought it was in its best interest to value the big east conference by removing us.

Reaction Score
What is the ACC culturally? It's going to be castoffs and the terrible Texas and West Coast additions eventually.
It’s just a matter of time until this whole thing implodes. Both B12 and ACC will not be able to keep up with the P2. Then they’ll realize the drawbacks of these long distance adds.
We’ll end up in a conference with Syracuse, BC, Duke, UNC, Ga Tech, Pitt, Virginia, and others. If a couple get poached there are options to backfill. Now is not the time too panic.
If the end game is P2 with 48 teams based on football strength (or grandfathered in) then do be it. They’d have no claim for the best basketball based on champs the last 20-30 years. So if we play mid level football against regional rivals that would provide the best product for our fan base. Do people really think our fan culture can compete with Alabama, Texas, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State.? Those fan bases will do anything to win at all costs and through whatever means.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rumors are just that rumors. If ESPN wanted UConn in they would be in. Don't trust ESPN.
ESPN is not going to overspend for UConn... sure they want UConn, the question is "for how much"

Reaction Score
It’s just a matter of time until this whole implodes. Both B12 and ACC will not be able to keep up with the P2. Then they’ll realize the drawbacks of these long distance adds.
We’ll end up in a conference with Syracuse, BC, Duke, UNC, Ga Tech, Pitt, Virginia, and others. If a couple get poached there are options to backfill. Now is not the time too panic.
half right, the ACC cannot keep up. The whole basketball gambit is to stake a pin on the B10 and SEC's collegiate dominance.

Reaction Score
I think that’s my only concern with what we’ve been hearing. Big12 has a right to ensure UConn fb gets competitive through investments.
But, if the bump from BE to Big 12 deal is $3M per year, and you put all that into fb, is that enough?
Can UConn invest in fb enough to beef up that program and be competitive in Big 12. Right now Big 12 is 75% fb, 25% bb. UConn is +90% BB.
UConn is going to have to come up with $’s in the short term (skin in the game) for fb before Big 12 is going to share the pie. That seems fair as long as bb is adequately valued and UConn has a plan to get there
Yormark needs to pony up and pay a premium for the UConn brand. $15M sounds about right to me until we get a full member share.

Reaction Score
My thought is we were not buying what they were selling. My guess is they were trying to get us at a bargain basement rate and they didn't have the votes to do any better. Thus the mutual agreement to stop the process. Travel isnt worth it for status quo money. Yormack comes out of this looking bad.
Bingo. You nailed it.

Reaction Score
We will be playing for NIT championships in a decade. If u think the P2/3 are focused only on fb, you’re not paying attention

CL82

Reaction Score
ESPN is not going to overspend for UConn... sure they want UConn, the question is "for how much"
I actually think they do want Connecticut, but mostly because we are a cost-effective team to cover. That speaks to your point as to "how much is that worth".

Reaction Score
the word on our boards was that uconn had 6 tentative yes votes.
6 tentative yeses and 10 no. Well this should now put dreams of the B12 in the rear view mirror. I did say this a year ago stating our football program is the problem. Best to wait for the fallout with the AAC. They have D1 football unlike the Big East, have some valuable basketball cache and it’s a better geographical fit. I would think that Duke, NC, NC State along with us would appeal to the media outlets.

Reaction Score
Ah, well that's comforting. Will you let us know when the time to panic comes?
Okay. I’ll clarify. Our athletic department and all our teams will not go down the toilet.

Reaction Score
In all candor, I personally don't see this as a setback (although it did open us up for trolls to come out of the woodwork in an attempt to belittle us).

It still will come down entirely to whether we can or cannot fix the football program. Everything else is at best glitter, at worst, packing materials. If we can get the football program to where it was 15 years ago and demonstrate that it won't take an unreasonable effort to sustain it, we will get picked up by a P level conference. It starts and ends there.

That we won't have an early admission, without football does not hurt us as correcting the problem will still be the task.
Yes you get it. I’ve said this time and again and I was called a troll, a UConn football hater and pro Big East. I am none of those things. We need to fix football now.

CL82

Reaction Score
Okay. I’ll clarify. Our athletic department and all our teams will not go down the toilet.
So... panic or no?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I actually think they do want Connecticut, but mostly because we are a cost-effective team to cover. That speaks to your point as to "how much is that worth".
I hear they definitely want us in either the B12 or ACC. ESPN is not a foe in this process, but rather they are helping. We are basically the only top tier program not sitting with the correct cohort.

The issue remains fit. Too many stone throwers for us to get to the B12 (from both B12 land and our own people) and the ACC remains distracted with their own fires.

The ACC offer will only come after the B12 offer (that is my own feeling, not what I have heard per se).

So now what? Enjoy another year of BE basketball and try to learn to love your UConn neighbor that won't learn to speak B12.

Reaction Score
It was reported that Connecticut had six tentative yes and two tentative no (which is spot on at the 75% mark that we needed) with the remainder undecided. It's the remainder that I'm curious about. So I not sure if the people on your board I just riffing off that initial poll. of half the conference or whether we never got higher than six.

Plus, I'd like to know who are no votes are, just so I have a rooting interest against them.
I assume it was cincy, houston, and UCF - they are not any more deserving of the power 4 than we are. Yes they all had one or 2 good football seasons to hang their hat on (eg. UCF 2017 "nat'l championship") but that balances out with our sustained and undisputable basketball success.

maybe i'm wrong, but something in me tells me they don't like us because they just fought hard to get out of G5 purgatory and don't want to dilute their accomplishment by having us in there too.

Reaction Score
6 tentative yeses and 10 no. Well this should now put dreams of the B12 in the rear view mirror. I did say this a year ago stating our football program is the problem. Best to wait for the fallout with the AAC. They have D1 football unlike the Big East, have some valuable basketball cache and it’s a better geographical fit. I would think that Duke, NC, NC State along with us would appeal to the media outlets.
Correction I meant ACC

Reaction Score
So... panic or no?
If we beat Merrimack by a field goal and MSU drops Maryland by 30 ... panic. If we win by 20 and Maryland wins by 20... wait another week to panic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom