UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 59 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
Our basketball program will survive and thrive in the Big East but football obviously won't. Our ability to survive and thrive in the Big East for basketball seems to be dependent on getting rid of football.
I feel confident as long as this coaching staff remains in tact. Once Danny pursues the NBA, all bets are off. The landscape becomes more challenging w each passing year. To align our future with small private catholic schools does not bode well moving forward/

Reaction Score
This must be the only program/university where so-called fans think our best path forward is to eliminate the sport that is the single largest revenue generator and ONLY criteria for realignment, while believing the Big East will not eventually be cut out of the playoffs in the same way fb has approached it.

Reaction Score
To align our future with small private catholic schools does not bode well moving forward/
Sadly it's our only option and we're at a major financial disadvantage because of our financial obligation to big time D1 football and the 100 or so scholarships we give out to women in sports which all also lose money.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In all candor, I personally don't see this as a setback (although it did open us up for trolls to come out of the woodwork in an attempt to belittle us).

It still will come down entirely to whether we can or cannot fix the football program. Everything else is at best glitter, at worst, packing materials. If we can get the football program to where it was 15 years ago and demonstrate that it won't take an unreasonable effort to sustain it, we will get picked up by a P level conference. It starts and ends there.

That we won't have an early admission, without football does not hurt us as correcting the problem will still be the task.

Reaction Score
This must be the only program/university where so-called fans think our best path forward is to eliminate the sport that is the single largest revenue generator and ONLY criteria for realignment, while believing the Big East will not eventually be cut out of the playoffs in the same way fb has approached it.
This is the only program/University which is funding a big time D1 football program and the 100 or so women's Title IX scholarships while getting none of the TV money coming in to fund it.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Sadly it's our only option and we're at a major financial disadvantage because of our financial obligation to big time D1 football and the 100 or so scholarships we give out to women in sports which all also lose money.
We've performed pretty well in men's hoops recently despite said disadvantage.

Reaction Score
I feel confident as long as this coaching staff remains in tact. Once Danny pursues the NBA, all bets are off. The landscape becomes more challenging w each passing year. To align our future with small private catholic schools does not bode well moving forward/
This is my sentiment as well. I'm uneasy about our future. I'm 30 next year and fear my grandkids won't know big time college athletics at UConn. Being continuously left out while other inferior athletic departments get tickets to the ball is infuriating and saddening. Maybe there is another life boat coming. But maybe there isnt..

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Our basketball program will survive and thrive in the Big East but football obviously won't. Our ability to survive and thrive in the Big East for basketball seems to be dependent on getting rid of football.
Why?

Reaction Score
Why?
Because we lose an unbelievable amount of money on football and we don't have any of the necessary TV money coming in to fund it and to remain at the highest level recruiting basketball players and paying them.

Reaction Score
I don't think most people even know what that is. Any time I mention it to people they have no idea what's coming
We'll still obviously be at a disadvantage but it's workable to keep basketball at the highest level if we get rid of football and women's rowing, swimming/diving, volleyball etc.

If we go with the status quo I don't see any way it's workable unless the state sets aside an extra 30 million for basketball every year, Ned and his wife decide to pay for it out of pocket, lolz.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Email just received:

Dear UConn Nation,

As you know, it’s been both an exciting and turbulent time in college athletics over the past few years. With the emergence of NIL and the transfer portal, the landscape has changed dramatically. Further, conference realignment has significantly blurred the national panorama.

Undoubtedly, many of you have followed recent media reports about the Big 12’s renewed interest in UConn as a conference member. It is always our objective to put UConn in the very best position for future success, so we did engage in exploratory dialogue with the Big 12. Ultimately, the Big 12 determined that it will pause on conversations about membership expansion.

I encourage all who care deeply about the Huskies to pause and reflect. Certainly, it is flattering to be courted; it says a lot about UConn and what others think of us. Further, we have enjoyed tremendous success since our return to the BIG EAST in 2020, which has included 36 conference championships (across all conferences in which we are affiliated) and, of course, our back-to-back NCAA men’s basketball titles.

No matter our conference home, our mission has been, and will always be, to provide an exceptional academic and athletic experience to the outstanding young men and women who proudly wear the UConn uniform. It is our North Star, and we must never forget the shining principle which guides our everyday work.

Let’s celebrate who we are and be proud of our greatness. We will push forward, stay grounded in what drives us, and demonstrate our ability to be highly successful in every one of our 21 varsity sports. We will stay focused on achievement in everything we do. And we will continue to position UConn as one of the nation’s premier brands. Your ongoing support, both emotionally and financially, remains critical to ensuring a bright future and maintaining the championship tradition which defines UConn Athletics.

Thank you for your dedication to our nearly 600 student-athletes. Go Huskies!

Sincerely,
David Benedict
Director of Athletics

Reaction Score
I don't know what happened and I don't really care. Maybe they all negotiated in good faith but couldn't come to a consensus. Maybe the 2031 date was a sticking point.

Not sure where we go from here. The ACC has passed and the Big 12 has jerked us around. Perhaps a partial football membership in the Sunbelt, MWC, or C-USA. I don't see it. Independence for the program is a killer. Mora will quit or be fired, unless he has a miraculous run.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom