UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 58 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think you're question is rhetorical, but giving credit to @HuskyNan who posted this in June:
View attachment 103323
It's not like UConn men weren't in the TOP 5 for most watched games, right? Cuz according to that poster you were replying to (even though they mentioned regular season), apparently non-Px teams don't draw viewers, right, right? Now one might argue that the most-watched views were because a Px team was involved...still, UConn men were involved in 2 of the top 5 most watched BBall games last year, so by direct correlation, UConn draws eyes.

If you want regular season, I found this pic on the BigEastRatings X profile:
View attachment 103324
The Big East numbers above are roughly comparable to the Px regular season views that said poster had in their post, and one can see UConn was involved in 4 of those top 10. So this asinine argument that UConn doesn't draw eyes holds about as much water as an empty colander.
It was rhetorical, but thanks for grabbing this info and posting it. I hadn't seen the second graphic, so that was all interesting info. The big thing that hurts the big east is broadcasting games on FS1 and FS2. Those stations have access to much fewer viewers so that when you look at the average big east numbers, they are lower than other conferences. The chart you posted above, though shows games on the major networks which is a more fair comparison.

CL82

Reaction Score
Nice to see a lot of eyeballs on Boilermakers also.
They were the purported "big dogs" last year. It was a nice early season matchup between the second and 12th ranked teams. It ended up being decided by a bucket which probably held people in throughout the whole game. Those are exactly the kind of matchups that should get played in early season out of conference games.

Are you a Purdue fan? How do you think they're going to do this year without Edey? He took up an awful lot of their possessions last year, deservedly so.

Reaction Score
I think you're question is rhetorical, but giving credit to @HuskyNan who posted this in June:
View attachment 103323
It's not like UConn men weren't in the TOP 5 for most watched games, right? Cuz according to that poster you were replying to (even though they mentioned regular season), apparently non-Px teams don't draw viewers, right, right? Now one might argue that the most-watched views were because a Px team was involved...still, UConn men were involved in 2 of the top 5 most watched BBall games last year, so by direct correlation, UConn draws eyes.

If you want regular season, I found this pic on the BigEastRatings X profile:
View attachment 103324
The Big East numbers above are roughly comparable to the Px regular season views that said poster had in their post, and one can see UConn was involved in 4 of those top 10. So this asinine argument that UConn doesn't draw eyes holds about as much water as an empty colander.
Thanks for posting these graphics. One thing that is also noteworthy is the the NCAA title game and Final Four games were shown on TBS, not CBS. If those games were on CBS, they would get more viewers.

Reaction Score
Then I guess I have my answer. Hire a real football coach but we first need a search committee who understands football as this is totally lacking from the prior coaches including the 2nd coming of Edsell. We, and what I mean by that, whether it’s our elected officials, state officials and UConn administrators ALWAYS look for the cheap way out. I think they finally learned the lesson with Danny’s new contract. But way way past due skimpy upgrades to Gambel, the Civic Center, the free contaminated land offloaded by Pratt and then the building of a stadium from a bygone era vs a stadium on campus all smack of stupidity and lack of foresight. This state is the land of steady habits, risk adverse, and whatever can be called beyond frugal. If we want to play with the big boys, suck it up, think creatively and spend the money. I saw a bunch of politicians walking in the Husky parade all basking in the glory but scatter like rats when the light shines on them. There’s a reason our men’s soccer program hasn’t been relevant for 40 years. We never hired a replacement worthy of Joe Morrone. We did with Danny however after the ineptitude of Ollie. Glad to see Geno is sticking around for 5 more years but the school will need to have a succession plan before Geno’s out the door. We need to start locking now for a Mora replacement
Eric Mangini.

Reaction Score
They were the purported "big dogs" last year. It was a nice early season matchup between the second and 12th ranked teams. It ended up being decided by a bucket which probably held people in throughout the whole game. Those are exactly the kind of matchups that should get played in early season out of conference games.

Are you a Purdue fan? How do you think they're going to do this year without Edey? He took up an awful lot of their possessions last year, deservedly so.
Two kids in Paint Crew @ Purdue.
I think they will have a good year.
Braden Smith is only getting better and they have a solid front court.
One of the only D1 schools not to take one transfer- all Purdue recruits. Just like Hurley- Painter runs a great program and he develops talent.....

Reaction Score
We all know the value of UConn but is there a reason Yormark specifically has been so interested in us when nobody else has?

Was UConn WBB really averaging more views than the Nets? Was this during his tenure?
There is only one reason Yormark is interested in UConn and his insticts were proven correct. $$$$$$$$$$$
Currently the Base B12 deal -minus NCAA and Football Playiff distribution, is worth $31,000,000 per team
Even at the high end of 25% of that contract for BB that’s < $8,000,000 per team
The Big East Contracts with significantly fewer eyeballs and teams that don’t command much of any market are averaging $7,00,000 per team
He figures if a team like UConn’s worth is at least double that number .
Than with a collection of strong teams in a major conference , basketball's has much greater worth than most assume
Even if the next football only contract is worth. the same amount in the $30,000,000 range
If he can get $15,000,000 to $20,000,000 per team for basketball plus other sports it’s a huge conference win .
The other thing where UConn has a huge advantage is not only the men being one of the 1/2 Dozen premier teams but a Women’s team with their own fan base
that probably has a bigger following than many of their current brands
Add to that UConn gets them into the NE
and major media and recruiting
That Would be my pitch if I’m a
UConn. consultant.
Notice I never once mentioned football

Reaction Score
Do you not see that the reason Cincinnati and Houston and UCF thrived in the AAC was because they were hiring guys like Frost, Heupl, Fickel, and Herman while UConn football was trying to do it ultra cheaply by bringing Randy back with his bogus clause contract? No surprise that Big 12 presidents want to know there is a commitment to compete in football like there is in basketball. The school seems ready to do it.
I think that’s my only concern with what we’ve been hearing. Big12 has a right to ensure UConn fb gets competitive through investments.
But, if the bump from BE to Big 12 deal is $3M per year, and you put all that into fb, is that enough?
Can UConn invest in fb enough to beef up that program and be competitive in Big 12. Right now Big 12 is 75% fb, 25% bb. UConn is +90% BB.
UConn is going to have to come up with $’s in the short term (skin in the game) for fb before Big 12 is going to share the pie. That seems fair as long as bb is adequately valued and UConn has a plan to get there

Reaction Score
There is only one reason Yormark is interested in UConn and his insticts were proven correct. $$$$$$$$$$$
Currently the Base B12 deal -minus NCAA and Football Playiff distribution, is worth $31,000,000 per team
Even at the high end of 25% of that contract for BB that’s < $8,000,000 per team
The Big East Contracts with significantly fewer eyeballs and teams that don’t command much of any market are averaging $7,00,000 per team
He figures if a team like UConn’s worth is at least double that number .
Than with a collection of strong teams in a major conference , basketball's has much greater worth than most assume
Even if the next football only contract is worth. the same amount in the $30,000,000 range
If he can get $15,000,000 to $20,000,000 per team for basketball plus other sports it’s a huge conference win .
The other thing where UConn has a huge advantage is not only the men being one of the 1/2 Dozen premier teams but a Women’s team with their own fan base
that probably has a bigger following than many of their current brands
Add to that UConn gets them into the NE
and major media and recruiting
That Would be my pitch if I’m a
UConn. consultant.
Notice I never once mentioned football
Said something similar in a different post, responding to the old Fox President.
Yormark knows UConn’s value is well above $8M now.
And he’s getting a better sense by how much ESPN is willing to pay for BB in a Big12 formula

Reaction Score
Then I guess I have my answer. Hire a real football coach but we first need a search committee who understands football as this is totally lacking from the prior coaches including the 2nd coming of Edsell. We, and what I mean by that, whether it’s our elected officials, state officials and UConn administrators ALWAYS look for the cheap way out. I think they finally learned the lesson with Danny’s new contract. But way way past due skimpy upgrades to Gambel, the Civic Center, the free contaminated land offloaded by Pratt and then the building of a stadium from a bygone era vs a stadium on campus all smack of stupidity and lack of foresight. This state is the land of steady habits, risk adverse, and whatever can be called beyond frugal. If we want to play with the big boys, suck it up, think creatively and spend the money. I saw a bunch of politicians walking in the Husky parade all basking in the glory but scatter like rats when the light shines on them. There’s a reason our men’s soccer program hasn’t been relevant for 40 years. We never hired a replacement worthy of Joe Morrone. We did with Danny however after the ineptitude of Ollie. Glad to see Geno is sticking around for 5 more years but the school will need to have a succession plan before Geno’s out the door. We need to start locking now for a Mora replacement
I don’t know that Mora is wrong coach. Maybe he is but that will be vetted this year.
Biggest issue is staff. Look at that BB staff. Tops in country. And look at results.
UConn Fb coaching is meager at best. That’s the piece that needs to be beefed up.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
We needed a lifeline and didn't get it. Back-to-back BBall championships couldn't get us over the line, and football woes continue to plague us. I hated the Big12 from before, now I...
4f83e5d5-9bae-421d-855b-d0f368820a59_500x271.gif

Reaction Score
Get rid of the football program. It's over. Savor the time we have left in big time collegiate athletics. Or hope for common sense to prevail

Reaction Score
Get rid of the football program. It's over. Savor the time we have left in big time collegiate athletics. Or hope for common sense to prevail
It’s been over. UConn will never be invited. At this point, I am not sure who is crazier, the camp that believes UConn will be or those who think UConn can survive in the Big East.

CL82

Reaction Score
IMG_4194.jpeg

Seems like we did not have the votes… Again.

I would love to find out the actual count, so we know how close we were and the identity of the voters so that I know which programs to hate... more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s been over. UConn will never be invited. At this point, I am not sure who is crazier, the camp that believes UConn will be or those who think UConn can survive in the Big East.
Our basketball program will survive and thrive in the Big East but football obviously won't. Our ability to survive and thrive in the Big East for basketball seems to be dependent on getting rid of football.

Reaction Score
My thought is we were not buying what they were selling. My guess is they were trying to get us at a bargain basement rate and they didn't have the votes to do any better. Thus the mutual agreement to stop the process. Travel isnt worth it for status quo money. Yormack comes out of this looking bad.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
View attachment 103330
Seems like we did not have the votes… Again.

I would love to find out the actual count, so we know how close we were and the identity of the voters so that I know which programs to hate... more.
the word on our boards was that uconn had 6 tentative yes votes.

Reaction Score
Pertaining to the title of this thread, did anyone really believe that this was "imminent?" How many times have we been left at the altar?

We hoped (well, at least SOME of us did) that it would finally happen, but UConn football has way too many forces going against it. Unfortunately not even all of UConn's basketball success can get UConn past the power conference bouncer (for now).

As we were.

Escobar.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My condolences to anyone* who actually believed this was gonna happen.

* But seriously folks? Get help.
That's my thought, too. Not everyone here, but a lot were treating this like it was a done deal. It's not a done deal until Brett Yormark declares it a done deal in a press conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom