UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 60 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
I don't know what happened and I don't really care. Maybe they all negotiated in good faith but couldn't come to a consensus. Maybe the 2031 date was a sticking point.

Not sure where we go from here. The ACC has passed and the Big 12 has jerked us around. Perhaps a partial football membership in the Sunbelt, MWC, or C-USA. I don't see it. Independence for the program is a killer. Mora will quit or be fired, unless he has a miraculous run.
At this point I don't think it's worth playing football. It's just bad publicity and without a secured spot in a power conference it's not going to get better. It's a waste of energy and resources.

Reaction Score
At this point I don't think it's worth playing football. It's just bad publicity and without a secured spot in a power conference it's not going to get better. It's a waste of energy and resources.
Go with Big East Varsity Lacrosse instead and get out of the football chaos.

Reaction Score
Hey, Atleast our non-revenue athletes won’t have to travel as much to compete! Yes, that was an actual talking point. I am not sure I ever took this latest round serious, but I guess I am guilty of holding out hope. Today is a reminder of how hopeless UConn’s actual situation is.

Reaction Score
Go with Big East Varsity Lacrosse instead and get out of the football chaos.
Don't even bother with new sports. Stick with what we are good at and cut everything else. Having a big athletic department with winning programs doesn't mean anything to anyone. All these schools care about is football money and nothing else

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
that statement by Dave Benedict is the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen
At the risk of being told I need to seek therapy, his words make us seem that for the 2nd year in a row, we're like a dog cowering back to our lair with our tail tucked under our body. I think his statement is better than what he issued last year, but it is a horrible stinging admission that we utterly failed this challenge. The only solace I seek is that I hope our boys come out so pissed off the rest of the season that they run roughshod over all the teams they'll face...like the Hanson brothers only more jacked up.

Reaction Score
I would bet that if FSU or Clemson were free to join the Big 12 now, they would not pause, but take them immediately. Yormark cannot be trusted. He played UConn again. They will take many ACC teams when FSU and Clemson say goodbye. UConn will remain on the outside.
And screw ESPN and Connecticut polticians

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I would bet that if FSU or Clemson were free to join the Big 12 now, they would not pause, but take them immediately. Yormark cannot be trusted. He played UConn again. They will take many ACC teams when FSU and Clemson say goodbye. UConn will remain on the outside.

What would the Big 12 pay FSU and Clemson with? Outback coupons? The networks did not want to expand the Big 12.

ESPN and Fox have to be looking at the House Settlement and wondering if college sports, and particularly college football, are going to be a major sport for fans in 5-10 years. Why would anyone make a long-term investment in the sport right now?

Reaction Score
We are forked. Options:
  • AAC football only with Army & Navy. But they won't take us.
  • Sun Belt, MWC, C-USA, MAC football only. They won't take us.
  • CAA football only with Maine, UNH, URI, Albany, Stony Brook, Villanova, etc. What's the point.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Well ESPN does want us in their inventory. Maybe they can work on the ACC now. I know it's a long-shot.
If the rumor that ESPN was willing to pay to have UConn in the Big12, and ESPN really DOES want UConn as part of their inventory (without having to share UConn with Fox and thereby achieving a coup against them by taking away the prize of the Big East), then they could try to convince the ACC, though I don't see this happening without rewriting the GOR and placating Clemson and FSU. I think Van Halen reuniting for a tour has a greater chance of happening (RIP EVH).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We are forked. Options:
  • AAC football only with Army & Navy. But they won't take us.
  • Sun Belt, MWC, C-USA, MAC football only. They won't take us.
  • CAA football only with Maine, UNH, URI, Albany, Stony Brook, Villanova, etc. What's the point.

We may be forked, but everyone should just take a beat. College athletics could look very different at the end of this season.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
We may be forked, but everyone should just take a beat. College athletics could look very different at the end of this season.
I love how you just discovered the House settlement TODAY and are now rushing to put together your new scams based off of it.

Like being in the SNL writers room in 1984.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I love how you just discovered the House settlement TODAY and are now rushing to put together your new scams based off of it.

Like being in the SNL writers room in 1984.

Really? I think I may have mentioned the House settlement once or twice on this board.

Reaction Score
Do we realistically have financial troubles in the present BE? Aren't we making the same as the AAC?

What do state schools like UNLV and Wyoming do

Reaction Score
I think you mean 50 years ago
When the BCS got yanked they used the Big East money to try and fake it, but they turtled on football and here we are today. I don't blame them but they wasted too much time and are now looking desperate.

Reaction Score
15 years ago UConn football was 8-5, played in a power conference, and beat South Carolina 20 to 7 in the PapaJohn's Bowl.
And then Edsell jilted the team after the Fiesta Bowl and it all went to crap. Then they inexplicably rehire Edsell and he left again, and it continued to deteriorate to what we have now. SMH

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't think Yormark screwed us or anything. He truly wants UConn. He just can't get the rest of the Big 12 to see the benefits he sees. Bottom line.

TBH, I think a lot of the presidents are waiting to see if FSU and/or Clemson become available. They'd be kicking themselves if they took UConn and for reason weren't able to pick up one or both of those schools.

The bigger problem now is that our FB team will continue to struggle with attendance. Yes they need to win but playing mediocre teams that no one gives two poops about is not going to put any butts in the seats. Even if they are winning, no one is selling out the Rent to see us play GA St or Buffalo. That's a big problem with no conference affiliation.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
the word on our boards was that uconn had 6 tentative yes votes.
It was reported that Connecticut had six tentative yes and two tentative no (which is spot on at the 75% mark that we needed) with the remainder undecided. It's the remainder that I'm curious about. So I not sure if the people on your board I just riffing off that initial poll. of half the conference or whether we never got higher than six.

Plus, I'd like to know who are no votes are, just so I have a rooting interest against them.

Reaction Score
This 100%. The college athletics landscape is going to look drastically different in 5 years. I would have preferred the B12 invite happened so we could be on the P4 side when it happens but have no doubt we will end up in a good place that’s more in line with our fan base.
Culturally we are a much better fit for the ACC. They could easily make a run at being the best hoops conference by taking us and adding something like Villanova, St John’s, Marquette, and Gonzaga in a basketball alliance. Maybe Tulane?
Plus I do believe conferences by sports is the future.

Reaction Score
This 100%. The college athletics landscape is going to look drastically different in 5 years. I would have preferred the B12 invite happened so we could be on the P4 side when it happens but have no doubt we will end up in a good place that’s more in line with our fan base.
Culturally we are a much better fit for the ACC. They could easily make a run at being the best hoops conference by taking us and adding something like Villanova, St John’s, Marquette, and Gonzaga in a basketball alliance. Maybe Tulane?
UConn and Tulane could be added for all sports in the ACC this fall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom