UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
at this point am I the only one who would be fine taking a SMU-eque deal to get into the party? i say "-esque" beceause i figure we don't have the money to fund our existence out of pocket without SOME conference money. paying for travel and overhead, etc.

but isn't there a level of (temporary, defined end date) sacrifice uconn is willing to make that is palateable by P4 presidents and commish's? Just HOW toxic of an asset is UConn football? jeez you'd think we were BBB rated by moody's.

I have never seen a university so ill regarded, because of one single sport/team. it's almost a curse that our basketball team is so good and our football team is (recently) so bad. no one wants us :(

There is the matter of owing $30M to the Big East as a buyout.

But it’s hard to disagree. The Big 12 is a more stable option, and the ACC has their heads up their arses.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You misunderstood. I was referring to taking no payout.

The problem with no payout is that we still have to pay the Big East exit fee.

SMU taking that deal along with Oregon and Wash taking partial shares has changed the game.
It depends what the terms are, I suppose. The original SMU proposal assumed that SMU would be entitled to a full share of college football playoff money, which I believe is approximately 15 million per school. As it turned out, they weren't entitled to that, but if they had, it would've been more than what they were making in the AAC.

It's an interesting question. I suppose it would depend on how long we didn't take a share. Paying 30 million to make nothing isn't a great deal, obviously. I suppose it could make sense if the period for which we didn't get withdrawals was short enough. As with everything, the devil is in the details.

Reaction Score
I don’t find any of the conferences attractive.

I’d just as soon get old big east football back together. That was more fun for all people involved.

i used to think acc was always desirable, but then they put in Louisville, smu, cal, Stanford.

That makes it so much more undesirable and dumb.

I have no idea where UConn athletics should park. Only thing I am certain of is the current makeup of these conferences is temporary and not sustainable.

Reaction Score
It depends what the terms are, I suppose. The original SMU proposal assumed that SMU would be entitled to a full share of college football playoff money, which I believe is approximately 15 million per school. As it turned out, they weren't entitled to that, but if they had, it would've been more than what they were making in the AAC.

It's an interesting question. I suppose it would depend on how long we didn't take a share. Paying 30 million to make nothing isn't a great deal, obviously. I suppose it could make sense if the period for which we didn't get withdrawals was short enough. As with everything, the devil is in the details.

Isn't SMU effectively receiving the equivalent of the ACC TV revenue over the next 7 years from big oil billionaire donors? For SMU's Athletic Department, this arrangement ensures their budget remains unaffected, as they will receive the equivalent amount that other ACC teams get from TV revenue each year, thanks to these donor pledges. The only difference is that after seven years, the donors will no longer need to provide that money. In contrast, UConn doesn't have donors at that level, so if we were in a similar situation, the cost would likely fall on state taxpayers, or it would have to be factored into tuition and student fees.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Isn't SMU effectively receiving the equivalent of the ACC TV revenue over the next 7 years from big oil billionaire donors? For SMU's Athletic Department, this arrangement ensures their budget remains unaffected, as they will receive the equivalent amount that other ACC teams get from TV revenue each year, thanks to these donor pledges. The only difference is that after seven years, the donors will no longer need to provide that money. In contrast, UConn doesn't have donors at that level, so if we were in a similar situation, the cost would likely fall on state taxpayers, or it would have to be factored into tuition and student fees.
It would almost certainly come from state funding to the university though not as a separate line item. Since I'm not a Connecticut resident, that doesn't matter to me all that much, but it would be nicer to have the athletic department closer to operating at break even.

Reaction Score
Think of how dumb a donation that is. Used for operating expenses. Not to buy players, infrastructure, or to do anything of merit.

It is like burning money.

Reaction Score
We have the two best basketball programs and Dan Hurley.

Women’s Sports has never been higher and probably hasn’t even crested yet.

Our Women’s Program is the greatest of all time and may be the greatest that will ever be.

If we can’t get a deal done now we may never.

I think the ship has sailed for my beloved football program.
Our women's basketball program starts declining on geno's retirement just like every other high profile program.

Larger women sports hardly matters a wooden nickel in athletics dollars. You already know basketball money is miniscule compared to football money.

Reaction Score
Think of how dumb a donation that is. Used for operating expenses. Not to buy players, infrastructure, or to do anything of merit.

You have already been told SMU has silly money to burn and they will burn it

Reaction Score

No it's not. It's to get them out of total irrelevancy in sports. I don't think the ACC really has any chance of staying together but it gets them a seat at the table for now and it will keep them in the mix with a chance to pivot in the future. These people have fark u money and love their school/sports so it's money well spent for them.

Reaction Score
Sure, I think we would all like Miami, Cuse, Pitt, West Virginia, VA Tech etc. to join back up with the Big East but no way in hell does it happen.
Regionalism builds fans. But the TV money people who want incidental eyeballs don't care about that.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
We will see. I hope so, but won't get my hopes up till something happens

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
no
Cracking Up Lol GIF
You would LOVE it

Online statistics

Members online