UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
I'll never believe it until it happens. I absolutely believe Yormark has wanted UConn for a while and it's about getting the other schools on board. No clue if that's happened and again I won't believe anything until I see it.

I'm a Big East fan and will always be a Big East fan. I'm also a UConn basketball fan first and will always be a UConn basketball first fan and I'll worry some about losing the Big East because in terms of winning right now in the sport there's no better place for us...

I recognize things can change quickly though and money and stability are what's most important. We're not too far removed from the disastrous last couple Ollie years where we were routinely lost to trash programs like Cincinnati and played in empty gyms. For basketball I would hate losing what we currently have but the money just isn't there and running the risk of losing a seat at the table would obviously be devastating. It would be the end and I can't say with 100% certainty it wouldn't happen at some point in the future.

How a garbage school like Cincy and maybe even Memphis will get in is simply astounding. I mean if an STI were a school it would be Memphis State and Cincy is barely better.

Reaction Score
There’s no way this is announced after the football season starts next week. The Big 12 doesn’t want that distraction. Same as last year. It was done end of July and early August. It was reported that the Big 12 (Yormark) didn’t want it to distract from the season — because it was a distraction when Cinci et al were announced in September 2021 — that’s why they pushed it through and put the pressure on to finish line in late July. This is Yormark. He’s calculated.

If I’m wrong I’ll happily buy you a beer.

Actually with the amount of pushback they would probably get by adding us by the football fans, it would be the perfect time to announce it.

People wouldn't harp on it too much with the football season starting up in full force

Reaction Score
Actually with the amount of pushback they would probably get by adding us by the football fans, it would be the perfect time to announce it.

People wouldn't harp on it too much with the football season starting up in full force

It wouldn't make that many waves, if anything it would make waves when basketball starts up.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
They love the distraction.

It literally has happened at around the start of the season almost every time.

Look it up for yourself.

When Syracuse and Pitt announced Marinatto was literally at a game sitting in the press box and I think it was Week 1.
I don’t need to look it up lol. I’ve been living it and breathing it same as you. When the ACC news broke about Syracuse and Pitt we were playing Iowa State at the Rent it was week 2 I think.

I’m just reiterating everything I’ve heard about how Yormark likes to handle these things and how he handled it last year well before the football season started.

What happened in the Big 12 before Yormark or in the ACC or any other conference is irrelevant to my point.

I’d be highly surprised, but happily take it!

Reaction Score
Yep. Tis curious. Need others to pick this up or else this was just another effort by a struggling platform to get clicks.

Again, from what I understand UConn and the B12 have been talking, but nothing was finalized. Yormark wants UConn...and UConn wants the ACC (not a typo)...and UConn wants a full share...and Yormark has to get his Conf on board....and the B12 probably wanted to have those FSU/Clemson discussions first too. I thought all of this would push the UConn to the B12 button to a spring 2025 decision. Maybe there has been a break through on these....IDK. And what I have been told UConn is not going anywhere on the SMU model, the school wont follow that same path...we have to get something.
Us preferring the ACC is weird unless we've had a lot of closed door talks with other ACC ADs and expect the conference to mostly stick together.

Reaction Score
W

Was there one before the Big East? That seemed to come out of no where.
I think there was. I seem to remember that Rebecca Lobo voted for it.

Reaction Score
Charlie Brown Football GIF
I thought you weren't going to post that?

Reaction Score
Us preferring the ACC is weird unless we've had a lot of closed door talks with other ACC ADs and expect the conference to mostly stick together.
UConn would have taken smu deal into acc. To the big 12, probably needs more money. .

Reaction Score
We're not too far removed from the disastrous last couple Ollie years where we routinely lost to trash programs like Cincinnati and played in empty gyms.
i'd pay to see UConn play any of the teams in the BIG12 in either sport but couldnt say that about half of the AAC teams.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That’s better than anyone reasonable would expect.

Tbf there isn’t much difference between making nothing and making a little. And right now we make a little.
Said differently, a half share of big 12 media distributions probably triples our big east media distributions.

Reaction Score
This was the worst listen I’ve ever heard yep, +1

But screw it. Ain’t no point in being rational. Let’s ride.
Proof once again, that anyone can have a youtube podcast, SMH !....Uconn played in the Fiesta bowl in 2003 or 04 ??? just so many unfactual statements and clueless takes in that discussion. :confused: ... I could write a list... But I'm sure they did get the desired result. Which is plenty of clicks, views and comments during a slow college sports cycle. Despite whether there is a bit of truth their headline.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Rule number one
evergreen

we need about 9 pieces to line up for an invite....we have been at about 7 for a while...but i think some of these remaining pieces will happen in ultra tight lipped fashion.

Reaction Score
at this point am I the only one who would be fine taking a SMU-eque deal to get into the party? i say "-esque" beceause i figure we don't have the money to fund our existence out of pocket without SOME conference money. paying for travel and overhead, etc.

but isn't there a level of (temporary, defined end date) sacrifice uconn is willing to make that is palateable by P4 presidents and commish's? Just HOW toxic of an asset is UConn football? jeez you'd think we were BBB rated by moody's.

I have never seen a university so ill regarded, because of one single sport/team. it's almost a curse that our basketball team is so good and our football team is (recently) so bad. no one wants us :(

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not necessarily true. The UConn to the Big East rumor was posted on the Conference Realignment board before it happened.

And was being talked about in PMs well before then.

Reaction Score
at this point am I the only one who would be fine taking a SMU-eque deal to get into the party? i say "-esque" beceause i figure we don't have the money to fund our existence out of pocket without SOME conference money. paying for travel and overhead, etc.

but isn't there a level of sacrifice uconn is willing to make that is palateable by P4 presidents and commish's? Just HOW toxic of an asset is UConn football? jeez you'd think we were BBB rated by moody's.

I have never seen a university so ill regarded, because of one single sport/team. it's almost a curse that our basketball team is so good and our football team is (recently) so bad. no one wants us :(
Well it's the most important sport in the landscape and we've been arguably the worst program in the sport for over a decade. We even canceled an entire season of football.

We have the best basketball program in the country. Yormark knows how valuable that is but unfortunately a lot of these other people have their heads up their arses.

Reaction Score
Said differently, a half share of big 12 media distributions probably triples our big east media distributions.

You misunderstood. I was referring to taking no payout.

The problem with no payout is that we still have to pay the Big East exit fee.

SMU taking that deal along with Oregon and Wash taking partial shares has changed the game.

Reaction Score
Well it's the most important sport in the landscape and we've been arguably the worst program in the sport for over a decade. We even canceled an entire season of football.

We have the best basketball program in the country. Yormark knows how valuable that is but unfortunately a lot of these other people have their heads up their arses.

We have the two best basketball programs and Dan Hurley.

Women’s Sports has never been higher and probably hasn’t even crested yet.

Our Women’s Program is the greatest of all time and may be the greatest that will ever be.

If we can’t get a deal done now we may never.

I think the ship has sailed for my beloved football program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom