UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 27 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
I'm just gonna say right off the bat that UConn's identity as a Big East behemoth still means something, but less now than it meant 20 or 30 years ago, because the conference itself is so different. Our most consistent men's basketball rivals since we got back have been Creighton and Marquette, who are expansion-wave Midwestern schools, one of whom we've only been playing for four years or so. Georgetown is a shadow of its former self. There is still a lot of that old feeling when we take on Villanova, PC, St. John's and SHU, but that only goes so far, especially with Nova being in a down cycle right now.

UConn's most exciting benchmarks these days are the nonconference games against high-profile opponents, and NCAA tournament runs. That goes even more for the women's team. The Big 12 is not the AAC: the quality of our basketball opponents in that conference would be superior to what's in the Big East now, and several of our new conference opponents would have immediate cachet to UConn fans (Kansas, Arizona, Baylor, Houston, Iowa State to a degree, even Cincinnati). After this last run of greatness by the men's team, UConn basketball now carries its identity wherever it goes at this point. (The women were already there.) I seriously doubt we'd see a repeat of the AAC mess in a conference this compelling.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Big 12 presidents were briefed Monday about the possible addition of UConn to the league without taking action, CBS Sports has learned. The league's lack of unanimity on the issue will require ongoing discussions as the possible next round of realignment looms, sources told CBS Sports.

CBS Sports was able to verify six Big 12 schools in favor of UConn's addition with two against if a vote were taken today. Those schools did not want to be identified because of the sensitivity of the issue. It takes a super majority (at least 12 of the 16 Big 12 schools) to approve such a move.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Big 12 presidents were briefed Monday about the possible addition of UConn to the league without taking action, CBS Sports has learned. The league's lack of unanimity on the issue will require ongoing discussions as the possible next round of realignment looms, sources told CBS Sports.

CBS Sports was able to verify six Big 12 schools in favor of UConn's addition with two against if a vote were taken today. Those schools did not want to be identified because of the sensitivity of the issue. It takes a super majority (at least 12 of the 16 Big 12 schools) to approve such a move.
Damn Cinci and UCF!

Drew

Reaction Score
Someone should do some digging to see who was supportive last go round in 2023- IIRC eventually there were enough votes for us to get in if they didn’t get the P12 schools.

I will say, this is a much more “united“ front from the outside than last year was. Last year felt like Yormark solo going to bat for UConn, whereas the Endeavor third-party support is massive as they are hired to be trusted advisors to the conference. Couple that with ESPN’s support and this feels closer than it really ever has before, just need to dangle something for FOX to enjoy (guarantee x number of road/neutral games against top tier Big East teams through 2031 to wind up on FOX networks more than likely.. think Villanova, Creighton, St John’s) and at that point I can’t imagine a world where league members can legitimately evaluate the situation and come away with a “No” vote unless they just don’t want to be associated with Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Someone should do some digging to see who was supportive last go round in 2023- IIRC eventually there were enough votes for us to get in if they didn’t get the P12 schools.

I will say, this is a much more “united“ front from the outside than last year was. Last year felt like Yormark solo going to bat for UConn, whereas the Endeavor third-party support is massive as they are hired to be trusted advisors to the conference. Couple that with ESPN’s support and this feels closer than it really ever has before, just need to dangle something for FOX to enjoy (guarantee x number of road/neutral games against top tier Big East teams through 2031 to wind up on FOX networks more than likely.. think Villanova, Creighton, St John’s) and at that point I can’t imagine a world where league members can legitimately evaluate the situation and come away with a “No” vote unless they just don’t want to be associated with Connecticut.

This is over. Deal is likely dead.

Reaction Score
I'm just gonna say right off the bat that UConn's identity as a Big East behemoth still means something, but less now than it meant 20 or 30 years ago, because the conference itself is so different. Our most consistent men's basketball rivals since we got back have been Creighton and Marquette, who are expansion-wave Midwestern schools, one of whom we've only been playing for four years or so. Georgetown is a shadow of its former self. There is still a lot of that old feeling when we take on Villanova, PC, St. John's and SHU, but that only goes so far, especially with Nova being in a down cycle right now.

UConn's most exciting benchmarks these days are the nonconference games against high-profile opponents, and NCAA tournament runs. That goes even more for the women's team. The Big 12 is not the AAC: the quality of our basketball opponents in that conference would be superior to what's in the Big East now, and several of our new conference opponents would have immediate cachet to UConn fans (Kansas, Arizona, Baylor, Houston, Iowa State to a degree, even Cincinnati). After this last run of greatness by the men's team, UConn basketball now carries its identity wherever it goes at this point. (The women were already there.) I seriously doubt we'd see a repeat of the AAC mess in a conference this compelling.

It doesn’t pay the bills.

Drew

Reaction Score

My stab at where each school sits as of 8/26 (this is a personal guess and not sourced in any way):

Supportive (6):

1. West Virginia
2. Kansas
3. Iowa State
4. Arizona
5. Baylor
6. Houston

Not Supportive (2):

1. Utah
2. Oklahoma State

Undecided (8):

1. Colorado
2. Arizona State
3. Cincinnati
4. Central Florida
5. Texas Tech
6. Texas Christian
7. Brigham Young
8. Kansas State

Reaction Score
My stab at where each school sits as of 8/26 (this is a personal guess and not sourced in any way):

Supportive (6):

1. West Virginia
2. Kansas
3. Iowa State
4. Arizona
5. Baylor
6. Houston

Not Supportive (2):

1. Utah
2. Oklahoma State

Undecided (8):

1. Colorado
2. Arizona State
3. Cincinnati
4. Central Florida
5. Texas Tech
6. Texas Christian
7. Brigham Young
8. Kansas State
Cinci and UCF have got to be for us too

Reaction Score

Supportive (6):

1. West Virginia
2. Kansas
3. Iowa State
4. Arizona
5. Baylor
6. Houston

Not Supportive (2):

1. Utah
2. Oklahoma State

Undecided (8):

1. Colorado
2. Arizona State
3. Cincinnati
4. Central Florida
5. Texas Tech
6. Texas Christian
7. Brigham Young
8. Kansas State
UCF and Cincy would almost certainly be supportive

I think KState, BYU, and ASU could likely be supportive

Maybe: Texas Tech?

Nope: Utah, Colorado

Reaction Score

Supportive (6):

1. West Virginia
2. Kansas
3. Iowa State
4. Arizona
5. Baylor
6. Houston

Not Supportive (2):

1. Utah
2. Oklahoma State

Undecided (8):

1. Colorado
2. Arizona State
3. Cincinnati
4. Central Florida
5. Texas Tech
6. Texas Christian
7. Brigham Young
8. Kansas State
We know Oklahoma State is a no. That's where all trammels negative stories come from.

I think BYU is definitely a yes. Cinci probably yes. UCF I'm not sure about they have a weird complex going on over there. Tech is probably a no. I'd think Colorado is a yes.

Reaction Score
NO ONE has any idea what the college football business model will look like in 4 years. It seems like pre-salary cap baseball, where the top programs dominate because they can and are willing to pay more. And dominate could look like 90-7 wins in conference games. A completely realistic scenario could end up with 10-15 schools simply dominating college football, getting all of the talent, and it simply not being worth it to even try for the other programs.

Throw everything any of us know about recruiting in the garbage. Facilities, tradition, location, are all basically irrelevant. Coach may matter a bit, but the size of the NIL paycheck is going to drive decisions. How are we, or most programs, going to compete with Michigan or USC or Georgia? The costs of running a football program are going to be MASSIVE compared to hoops. We are going to have to be prepared to lose tens of millions for multiple years before we get mediocre.

In this world, it would seem to be more likely that football simply breaks off into its own structure. I do not know if this will happen, but it is a possibility. There are so many unknowns, and the costs of getting it wrong are so massive, that I am pretty ambivalent about what comes next with the Big 12. I would MUCH prefer a similar deal with the ACC, even if it was for a little less money.
You may be right. And if the ACC offers us a similar deal for a little less money, it will be an interesting discussion.

Of course, at the moment, no one has offered us anything.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame got ~$22 million from the ACC last year. Remember, they are also playing 2 to 3 football games per year at ACC schools.
Does the ND BS ever wear off? They last won a natty in FB in the Reagan Administration and have never won a BB title. ND is the most overrated, over hyped program in history of college sports. I guess that's the magic?

Reaction Score
I really don't know guys. If we get good votes at the rate we are getting them we would make it but those 6 voters could just be the ones closest to us for travel purposes

I'm hopping Yormark gives the best presentation of his life tomorrow but I'm not getting my hopes up. If we go through all this just to get shot down again I don't know what I'll do

This is also terrible timing, week 1 of college football and the headline is the Big 12 got a new non-football member?

Reaction Score
NO ONE has any idea what the college football business model will look like in 4 years. It seems like pre-salary cap baseball, where the top programs dominate because they can and are willing to pay more. And dominate could look like 90-7 wins in conference games. A completely realistic scenario could end up with 10-15 schools simply dominating college football, getting all of the talent, and it simply not being worth it to even try for the other programs.

Throw everything any of us know about recruiting in the garbage. Facilities, tradition, location, are all basically irrelevant. Coach may matter a bit, but the size of the NIL paycheck is going to drive decisions. How are we, or most programs, going to compete with Michigan or USC or Georgia? The costs of running a football program are going to be MASSIVE compared to hoops. We are going to have to be prepared to lose tens of millions for multiple years before we get mediocre.

In this world, it would seem to be more likely that football simply breaks off into its own structure. I do not know if this will happen, but it is a possibility. There are so many unknowns, and the costs of getting it wrong are so massive, that I am pretty ambivalent about what comes next with the Big 12. I would MUCH prefer a similar deal with the ACC, even if it was for a little less money.
The ACC is frozen. ESPN did that purposely and the Universities basically capitulated for temporary security. And right now no one trusts each other. It's every man for himself. You want us to step into that mess of uncertainly after writing an entire dissertation warning us about uncertainty? No thanks.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Screenshot 2024-08-26 211926.jpg

Until morale improves, I'm hoping.

Reaction Score
Not sure why not Colorado. Lots of CU Alums in CT/NY. And lots of CT natives live or visit there often. Also good academics and similar sports interest.
Also, for those five schools that just joined the Big 12 last year, pushing UConn aside in the process (except Colorado - they were ahead of us), it would seem both small-minded and sleazy for them to turn around and say "no" to UConn in this situation. Very bad karma. Just look at Boston College.

Reaction Score
Also, for those five schools that just joined the Big 12 last year, pushing UConn aside in the process (except Colorado - they were ahead of us), it would seem both small-minded and sleazy for them to turn around and say "no" to UConn in this situation. Very bad karma. Just look at Boston College.
They don't care about our feelings. And do you really think Colorado has interest in us after the Deion era?

Reaction Score
Something more than exit visas better be Imminent

There are no other elite football programs out there, but we have elite basketball. What difference does it make how good the football program is as an independent. There are elite football programs and there is everyone else. The Big 12 is about as deep as it gets with "everyone else" which will lift UConn Football. Bring UConn now and it gives the XII the edge and leverage on programs fleeing the ACC.

I figure there are 3 likely groups in the voting
  1. Original Big XII (8) - They may be hesitant but they also should want to expand east and keep ahead of and block the ACC
  2. Corner 4 plus BYU (5) - They have their western flank and were themselves saved by the Big XII. They should be fine with UConn
  3. AAC pickups (3) - They should want another eastern player yesterday. Or they may be pulling a Syracuse/bcu play by pulling up the ladder behind them, those selfish bastards

Reaction Score
From the article referred to above, sounds like this isn’t going to happen. If they had the votes, it would have happened today. Nothing is going to change.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom