UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 25 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but there's no way Yormark wants to add OSU and WSU when they're available at any point. You definitely wait to see what happens with UConn and the ACC first before you add two far flung west coast schools.
I always cringe when I see the "available at any point" logic applied to UConn, and I think it's likely just as oversimplified to apply it to any other school. Programs that are competitive (or in UConn's case, outright dominant), but don't have access to the money of a power conference program, can only stay "available" for so long before the program declines and becomes less valuable due to a loss of program infrastructure. UConn, for example, can only circle the airport for so long as a football independent with great facilities before a decision has to be made to downscale the program (though I doubt it would be dropped completely, but hey, anything is possible). Putting it back together afterward would be much, much harder, and possibly impracticable. Meanwhile, the basketball programs (and possibly other sports) that are currently very successful will eventually stop being able to compete at the highest level unless a complete decoupling from football takes place, and will be worth less as acquisitions because they were allowed to deteriorate due to the ongoing financial imbalance.

If you're the Big 12 or ACC and you think you're likely to want one of these schools later on, doesn't it make sense to make arrangements now, before the programs fall back due to underfunding? This especially applies to UConn basketball, which is outright incredible. Dynasties provide a unique "greater than the sum of its parts" value which can't be easily replaced if they fade, and UConn somehow has two of them.

Reaction Score
If the B12 is imminent shouldn't there be a UConn BoT meeting also on deck? I haven't heard about one
The next scheduled BOT meeting is September 25th. But non scheduled BOT meetings are convened to cover urgent issues.

Reaction Score

-> UConn athletic director David Benedict recently traveled to Dallas to pitch the Big East school to Big 12 administrators. Conference ADs and presidents were scheduled to hear from the league’s media consultants Monday and further discuss Yormark’s latest vision.

To add a new member, 12 of the 16 Big 12 schools would need to be in favor. According to several people familiar with the situation who spoke with The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the discussions are private, Yormark still has convincing to do among his members that adding UConn is a sound move and the Big 12 needs to act fast. <-

Reaction Score
If the B12 is imminent shouldn't there be a UConn BoT meeting also on deck? I haven't heard about one
The last BOT meeting was in July. There was a private session (or whatever they call it), but that could have been for anything.

Reaction Score
Locked on Big 12 guy thinks it's definitely going to happen. Just his opinion, not inside info though.

It makes me happy to see Drake go from on UConn a year ago to now supporting the move a year later. Talk about character development

Reaction Score
Locked on Big 12 guy thinks it's definitely going to happen. Just his opinion, not inside info though.

Everything seems to lean towards it happening. It is a no-brainer for UConn, especially if the Big 12 grabs some ACC school. Then UConn becomes less of an outlier and their sports won't have to travel as much. It also could lead to football joining the Big 12 sooner.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

-> UConn athletic director David Benedict recently traveled to Dallas to pitch the Big East school to Big 12 administrators. Conference ADs and presidents were scheduled to hear from the league’s media consultants Monday and further discuss Yormark’s latest vision.

To add a new member, 12 of the 16 Big 12 schools would need to be in favor. According to several people familiar with the situation who spoke with The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the discussions are private, Yormark still has convincing to do among his members that adding UConn is a sound move and the Big 12 needs to act fast. <-

Dave needs to be talking to the ACC behind the scenes. The why now is answered by the fact that we accept the first/best invite. I think the ACC has labored under the mistaken belief that they don't need to improve the basketball product, clearly they do. Syracuse, Notre Dame and Louisville all stink. Duke may be in decline. I'm sure they don't want to dilute a mediocre football product, which we would do, at least initially. But the reality is that the only "big time" football programs not in the B1G or SEC are Notre Dame, Clemson and FSU. There are none in the Big XII. The Big XII is trading on competitive football games among good not great teams and outstanding basketball.

The odds of the ACC splintering into oblivion are approaching zero. UConn is the best available brand by a huge margin. I said last fall, our road game at Kansas was important, because it was an audition of sorts, and we crushed it. We showed up at a distant arena and packed restaurants and bars. That's what they want to see. It's what they'd want in Chapel Hill as well.

Reaction Score
The last BOT meeting was in July. There was a private session (or whatever they call it), but that could have been for anything.
A short virtual meeting covering contracts/agreements and additional funding for the volleyball complex.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am much more lukewarm on this move than I have been about prior potential moves. I have major concerns about both college football's long-term economic viability for a large number of schools, and the Big 12's viability. Within a couple of years, it could cost $50 or $60 million a year to run a high level college football program. I think there are many current P4 programs that may step back when this becomes apparent.

College football "drove the bus" when players weren't getting paid and football programs were just revenue without labor expenses. That has changed, and could get out of control. Basketball has a handful of players, some of whom can be relatively cheap, and a small coaching staff, against 13-15 home games for top 50 programs. Football is 7 home games, at least one of which doesn't draw or get watched, had at least 85 scholarships plus a huge coaching staff. With NIL, you can have rosters of 100 or 125 players that are effectively if not officially on scholarship.

And every program is competing with SEC schools that wouldn't think twice about paying a backup CB $200,000/year just so another program doesn't get him. Basketball will likely be a lot more profitable than football, on average, going forward.

Reaction Score
I am much more lukewarm on this move than I have been about prior potential moves. I have major concerns about both college football's long-term economic viability for a large number of schools, and the Big 12's viability. Within a couple of years, it could cost $50 or $60 million a year to run a high level college football program. I think there are many current P4 programs that may step back when this becomes apparent.

College football "drove the bus" when players weren't getting paid and football programs were just revenue without labor expenses. That has changed, and could get out of control. Basketball has a handful of players, some of whom can be relatively cheap, and a small coaching staff, against 13-15 home games for top 50 programs. Football is 7 home games, at least one of which doesn't draw or get watched, had at least 85 scholarships plus a huge coaching staff. With NIL, you can have rosters of 100 or 125 players that are effectively if not officially on scholarship.

And every program is competing with SEC schools that wouldn't think twice about paying a backup CB $200,000/year just so another program doesn't get him. Basketball will likely be a lot more profitable than football, on average, going forward.
If Football proves to be impossible we just axe the program and continue as a non-FB member. We would still be making more than in the BE so who cares

Reaction Score

Market correction coming on what these guys are making. Back up college CBs won’t be making that much for long, if they even are.

Reaction Score

Don't worry Nelson, this Big 12 move is just preparing Uconn to eventually jump to the B1G. Plenty of $$$ there.

Reaction Score
It makes me happy to see Drake go from on UConn a year ago to now supporting the move a year later. Talk about character development
Last year Drake said UConn's revenue was too low. Now Drake says UConn Basketball is a tremendous money maker. Good for Drake. Growth.

I hate that we have to go through agonizing weeks of waiting for moves while everyone else seems to get an invite over night. No one will appreciate a move like UConn fans if and when it comes.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

I agree with you about the long-term dominance of football for financial reasons and add that fewer kids are playing tackle football now. Those factors together may spell doom for football (which will upset me as a huge football fan). That said, I worry about the future of our hoops programs if we remain in the Big East. The Big East has one marquis program (us), two has-beens (Nova and Georgetown), and three scrappy teams people sort of like to watch (St. Johns Providence, and Seton Hall). The rest is ballast.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

So, if nothing changes with respect to football, it's the right choice.

If football changes fundamentally to the extent its deemphasized.. we'd be in the best basketball league and find ourselves as a top chess piece for any future basketball centric reorg?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree with you about the long-term dominance of football for financial reasons and add that fewer kids are playing tackle football now. Those factors together may spell doom for football (which will upset me as a huge football fan). That said, I worry about the future of our hoops programs if we remain in the Big East. The Big East has one marquis program (us), two has-beens (Nova and Georgetown), and three scrappy teams people sort of like to watch (St. Johns Providence, and Seton Hall). The rest is ballast.
Nah. Marquette, Creighton and Xavier aren't ballast. But that's not the point anyway. Big seismic changes in college sports are coming. If you're outside the P4 you're at risk. Including basketball programs in the Big East.

Fewer people are probably playing football in CT, but that's more likely one of the reasons some of these schools are skeptical of UConn. It's not going anywhere soon at a national level. It's too big.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I agree with you about the long-term dominance of football for financial reasons and add that fewer kids are playing tackle football now. Those factors together may spell doom for football (which will upset me as a huge football fan).
Baseball has been on a decline among kids for years. Yet MLB is making more money than ever and expanding its reach internationally.

I wouldn't worry about football going away in your lifetime.

Reaction Score
So, if nothing changes with respect to football, it's the right choice.

If football changes fundamentally to the extent its deemphasized.. we'd be in the best basketball league and find ourselves as a top chess piece for any future basketball centric reorg?
In the 2022/2023 school year, high school participation in 11 man high school football increased by 5.5% to 1,028,761. The number of colleges playing college football is still increasing with 4 schools adding football in 2023, 6 schools adding football in 2024 (including New England College in NH), and 5 more in the works for future years including Maine Maritime.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom