UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 23 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
"If ESPN does that, all bets are off. The grant of rights likely ends up in the trash and several ACC programs hit free agency by 2028.

"In that event, the ACC will have to restock and UConn would be a desirable school for them. Yormark likely sees UConn as a pre-emptive move that benefits the Big 12 regardless of what happens in the ACC."
Nah, they’d go Memphis, USF, SDSU, Boise, Tulane…

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My wife heard me laugh after reading this. So I related what I read and the history behind it.

She laughed and said it sounds like a “prenutual agreement”!
Robert Redford Nod GIF

Reaction Score
UConn being in the Big 12 would be great financially. But it’s not worth getting emotionally invested in. I truly believe Yormark wants us, but that won’t mean much if the votes aren’t there. Either we get the big 12 invite and work up our football program, or stay in the Big East. I can think of worse outcomes than having to stay in the Big East. We will keep going either way, we always have. Just be prepared for a kick in the nuts if you get your hopes up, just saying.
I am 100% emotionally invested in the XII and I am prepared for anything that comes our way.

Reaction Score
I've been listening to other Big 12 team podcasts to hear more discussion about our possible invitation. One Houston podcast was very pro UConn, Oklahoma State and a BYU podcast were mixed but reasonable.

The worst though to my surprise was a University of Central Florida podcast. The name of the episode was "UConn invites themselves to our Big 12 Party." The host said "there's no way on God's green earth that UConn joins for football" and "We don't want you in our conference, you don't deserve to be in the big 12."

WTF? Who do they think UCF is? Do they think they're Florida State or the Florida Gators? I don't know if I'm being a homer here but I feel like UConn has at least as much brand appeal than friggin UCF. A few good years in football in the American and they think they're a class above UConn.

If you want to rage listen to the episode you can find it here:

The Knighted 1's - UCONN Invites Themselves To Our Big 12 Party!?!?

Reaction Score
I've been listening to other Big 12 team podcasts to hear more discussion about our possible invitation. One Houston podcast was very pro UConn, Oklahoma State and a BYU podcast were mixed but reasonable.

The worst though to my surprise was a University of Central Florida podcast. The name of the episode was "UConn invites themselves to our Big 12 Party." The host said "there's no way on God's green earth that UConn joins for football" and "We don't want you in our conference, you don't deserve to be in the big 12."

WTF? Who do they think UCF is? Do they think they're Florida State or the Florida Gators? I don't know if I'm being a homer here but I feel like UConn has at least as much brand appeal than friggin UCF. A few good years in football in the American and they think they're a class above UConn.

They are the classic example of pulling the ladder up the instant they get to the top.
FxecoMpWwBAkJEA.jpg

Reaction Score

Well…..they DID win a national championship in football.

Reaction Score

Fans don't make the decisions. They will regret UConn joining though. UConn nation will take over Orlando, make it Storrs Deep South.

Reaction Score

Civil ConFLiCT alive and well I see

Reaction Score
Some comments from the various high school football coaches around Austin, TX, and a good friend that works in the UT AD.

• Recruits seem to think UConn will be part of the Big 12 or at least being pitched as such. (They also thought this last year.)
  • Lots of respect for Coach Mora and what he's doing for UConn.
  • Many think UConn has a lot of potential in football. So while the online social media community may think one way about UConn football, those in the profession see things more positively overall.
  • UConn had the votes to get in last year if not for the PAC12 breakup. It just never went to a vote.
  • Baylor, TCU, and Houston were yes votes last year. Nothing has happened to change that.
  • These latest rounds of talk has been happening for a few months now. Talks with not just the B12 presidents but ESPN as well.
  • If they do indeed have a vote, that means we're already in. The actual announcement of a vote is a formality.

I have no way to verify if any of this is true. I do not claim to have insider knowledge. I'm just passing along casual convos with friends. The UT AD friend is a lot more lose lips about this stuff now that UT isn't part of the B12 anymore lol

Reaction Score
Some comments from the various high school football coaches around Austin, TX, and a good friend that works in the UT AD.

• Recruits seem to think UConn will be part of the Big 12 or at least being pitched as such. (They also thought this last year.)
  • Lots of respect for Coach Mora and what he's doing for UConn.
  • Many think UConn has a lot of potential in football. So while the online social media community may think one way about UConn football, those in the profession see things more positively overall.
  • UConn had the votes to get in last year if not for the PAC12 breakup. It just never went to a vote.
  • Baylor, TCU, and Houston were yes votes last year. Nothing has happened to change that.
  • These latest rounds of talk has been happening for a few months now. Talks with not just the B12 presidents but ESPN as well.
  • If they do indeed have a vote, that means we're already in. The actual announcement of a vote is a formality.

I have no way to verify if any of this is true. I do not claim to have insider knowledge. I'm just passing along casual convos with friends. The UT AD friend is a lot more lose lips about this stuff now that UT isn't part of the B12 anymore lol

It's been going on since at least April. I had someone feed me a little info that turned out to be right. But it was so thin all along I was a bit skeptical but not dismissive.

It seems like this could be it. I really doubt that this goes in front of the Presidents as it is supposed to next week without the desired outcome being assured. But this isn't our first rodeo and my perverse paranoia is waiting for Lucy to jump out from behind the bush.

Let's hope this is signed sealed and delivered before Maryland beats us by 4 TDs next weekend.

Reaction Score

UConn has WAY more brand and national appeal than UCF and it isn't even close. The only thing UCF has is a massive Alumni base because they don't reject any applicants

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

We left the AAC and UCF was still stuck there so it's natural some UCF fans were sensitive and angry about it. Just as you, and the people who posted after you, are pissed about one fans rant and are generalizing negatively about the entire fanbase. Be angry all you want but to me this is a nothing burger.

There are several teams in the ACC that we, as UConn fans, have a legitimate gripe with over how we were treated by them in realignment.

There will be several BE teams who will feel that way about us. I'm hoping that in the bb plan that Yormark is formulating many of our BE brethren will be joining us so that we still can keep our regional games and MSG. I won't lose any sleep over it if they aren't but it would be my preference.

Reaction Score
Eventually the powers in charge will realize that cooperating is better than competing, so they'll all sit down at a table and calmly draw up the 3 conference 72 team power level...just kidding...but nevertheless...here is the outcome...

BIG TENSECLEFTOVERS
IllinoisAlabamaArizona
IndianaArkansasArizona State
IowaAuburnBYU
MarylandFloridaCincinnati
MichiganGeorgiaColorado
Michigan StateKentuckyIowa State
MinnesotaLSUKansas State
NebraskaOle MissOklahoma State
NorthwesternMiss StateTCU
Ohio StateMissouriTexas Tech
OregonOklahomaUCF
Penn StateSouth CarolinaUtah
PurdueTennesseeBoston College
RutgersTexasLouisville
UCLATexas A&MNC State
USCVanderbiltPittsburgh
WashingtonClemsonSMU
WisconsinFlorida StateSyracuse
CalGeorgia TechWake Forest
DukeMiamiMemphis
StanfordVirginia TechOregon State
UNCBaylorSDSU
UVAHoustonUConn
KansasWest VirginiaWashington State

Reaction Score
If ESPN does not pick up the option, buying out of the GOR won't take much. The departure fee ($110 million) will still be in full force, and as it was freely agreed upon by all members, there is zero chance it can be negotiated down.

Nobody is paying that to move from the ACC to the B-12.
Based on what I have read, the GORs is tied to the ESPN contract, so if ESPN doesn't extend the ACC contract, it is possible there are no more GORs. As for exit fee, it depends how many spots are available in the Big 10, SEC, and Big 12 for ACC schools. It could be possible that the ACC could dissolve if enough schools have landing spots.

Reaction Score
Based on what I have read, the GORs is tied to the ESPN contract, so if ESPN doesn't extend the ACC contract, it is possible there are no more GORs. As for exit fee, it depends how many spots are available in the Big 10, SEC, and Big 12 for ACC schools. It could be possible that the ACC could dissolve if enough schools have landing spots.

I think that Clemson and FSU have been muddying the waters with these suits to make the ACC appear as wobbly as possible, further dissuading ESPN from renewing.

Reaction Score
And yet Kansas (151), Arizona (115), AZ State (105), Colorado (105) and Utah (115) area all AAU.

UConn (58)

Baylor (93)
TCU (98)
Arizona State (105)
Colorado (105)
Arizona (115)

BYU (115)
Iowa State (115)
Utah (115)
UCF (124)
Houston (133)
Cincinnati (142)
Kansas (151)
K State (170)
Okie Lite (185)
Texas Tech (216)
WVU (216)
Seems to me that could be a big recruiting advantage for us and probably significantly more than in the Big East.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping that in the bb plan that Yormark is formulating many of our BE brethren will be joining us so that we still can keep our regional games and MSG
I don’t see the future big12 conference tourney being held at MSG. Kansas certainly wouldn’t be happy giving us that homecourt advantage. but we’ll still be able to have some non conference games there

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom