UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 28 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
From the article referred to above, sounds like this isn’t going to happen. If they had the votes, it would have happened today. Nothing is going to change.

Reaction Score
Does the ND BS ever wear off? They last won a natty in FB in the Reagan Administration and have never won a BB title. ND is the most overrated, over hyped program in history of college sports. I guess that's the magic?
You don’t understand market power? College football is not a meritocracy.

Reaction Score
From the article referred to above, sounds like this isn’t going to happen. If they had the votes, it would have happened today. Nothing is going to change.
Yeah. I was still holding my breath when it was reported no vote was taken because no vote was scheduled but then it comes out if the vote was today it woulda been 6-2 with 8 undecideds. Hope we’re wrong.

Reaction Score
UConn might not get the votes when it’s all said and done, but the vote was never planned for today according to one of the writers (I am forgetting who at the moment)

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This is the line that struck me as a deal breaker

In addition, sources close to the situation tell CBS Sports that TV partner Fox is against the move. Adding UConn to the Big 12 would not only devalue the Big East's contract that Fox completed just two months ago, it would also require amending the Big 12 contract. That contract, with partner ESPN, is worth $2.3 billion and runs through the end of the 2031 academic year.

That doesn't mean a deal couldn't be struck in the future after further discussions.

The previous report that it was a net zero revenue seems false as Fox is totally not onboard and I get why. The article also stated that football is a major concern still. Seems Yormark's move to add FB at a later date isn't working.

Reaction Score
CR started out fast and furious. Objectives change. Pieces are more scarce. UConn is a very unique situation requiring more analysis. I don't think the timing is a plus or a minus, there is certainly going to be more negotiations than usual. I am most hopeful, yet prepared.

Bad Santa Pain GIF by Sky

Reaction Score
UConn might not get the votes when it’s all said and done, but the vote was never planned for today according to one of the writers (I am forgetting who at the moment)

Exactly. And there won’t be a vote unless they have the votes. It will just die on the vine.

Reaction Score
I read the Dodd piece.

How dumb are people to think that adding UConn hurts big 12 in the college playoff currently?

That makes no sense. Big 12 is going to have a spot every year for its champion.

It will probably get two teams in in most years, regardless of UConn is u. League or not.

What a ridiculous thing to be worried about considering we are in a 12-team era and that this doesn’t happen until 2031.

Reaction Score
I read the Dodd piece.

How dumb are people to think that adding UConn hurts big 12 in the college playoff currently?

That makes no sense. Big 12 is going to have a spot every year for its champion.

It will probably get two teams in in most years, regardless of UConn is u. League or not.

What a ridiculous thing to be worried about considering we are in a 12-team era and that this doesn’t happen until 2031.
They need to come up with reasons besides "we just don't want to add them"

Reaction Score
This is the line that struck me as a deal breaker

In addition, sources close to the situation tell CBS Sports that TV partner Fox is against the move. Adding UConn to the Big 12 would not only devalue the Big East's contract that Fox completed just two months ago, it would also require amending the Big 12 contract. That contract, with partner ESPN, is worth $2.3 billion and runs through the end of the 2031 academic year.

That doesn't mean a deal couldn't be struck in the future after further discussions.

The previous report that it was a net zero revenue seems false as Fox is totally not onboard and I get why. The article also stated that football is a major concern still. Seems Yormark's move to add FB at a later date isn't working.
It's still net zero revenue if they amend the deal in order for ESPN to chip in a few extra bucks to bring in UConn while Fox doesn't change anything in the B12 deal and nothing else for any of the other members changes. And it has been reported that ESPN is in fact interested in bringing in UConn.

Reaction Score
I read the Dodd piece.

Seems to me most of these schools are afraid not that we will be bad but we will succeed. UConn has proven ability to build winning teams even football when we had an even playing field.

These schools for years have had lots of money flowing in and many have done nothing on the field or court. Can you imagine UConn coming in and being successful in football make them all look like the money whores they are with no results. Presidents and ADs have nice salaries from all this TV money.

We will be in top half of conference in football fairly soon with Mora at the helm.

Reaction Score
I read the Dodd piece.

Its probably fair from an SOS point

Reaction Score
I read the Dodd piece.

Some schools are probably trying to extract more money, its short-sighted greed keeping us out.

Reaction Score
W

What makes you say that?

Unless ESPN is coming in with a dynamite offer and a bunch of schools change their mind this is donezo.

Maybe less than a 30% chance.

Just try to enjoy the football this weekend.

Reaction Score
Unless ESPN is coming in with a dynamite offer and a bunch of schools change their mind this is donezo.

I doubt it's that clear cut. Do you think the sixteen Big12 presidents, the Commissioner's office, and sixteen AD'S would be spending this much time, effort, and resources on this if it had a 30% chance?

Reaction Score

I get that you’re negative and that’s okay. But only half the votes were released and we had the 75% needed in that half. Why weren’t all the votes released? Whoever knew the 8 votes has to know the rest. It could be the remaining 8 were all no’s, all yess’s , or some mix. It’s plausible the votes are there, but some people needed to think on it or go back to campus and consult others. The vote was not planned for yesterday’s meeting as was widely published. This was just a “test the waters” vote.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Seems to me most of these schools are afraid not that we will be bad but we will succeed. UConn has proven ability to build winning teams even football when we had an even playing field.

These schools for years have had lots of money flowing in and many have done nothing on the field or court. Can you imagine UConn coming in and being successful in football make them all look like the money whores they are with no results. Presidents and ADs have nice salaries from all this TV money.

We will be in top half of conference in football fairly soon with Mora at the helm.

I don’t know that anyone is afraid of UConn, but I think all the schools are afraid of the completely unknown future of college football. It is hard to make long term decisions about a business model that is going away in the next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom