UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 19 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This isn’t the thread that started in the women’s board they should go back there
The person you were replying to was commenting to @Stinger92860 who listed the rankings of Big 12 women's basketball teams who were top 25. It was following a train of thinking that the UConn women's bb brand would significantly help the Big 12 and is a valuable commodity in a growing market. It's certainly valid in this thread.

Reaction Score
The person you were replying to was commenting to @Stinger92860 who listed the rankings of Big 12 women's basketball teams who were top 25. It was following a train of thinking that the UConn women's bb brand would significantly help the Big 12 and is a valuable commodity in a growing market. It's certainly valid in this thread.
Every bit helps

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Why are all good news article about realignment have to say….”in all sports but football. “ ?
If there are provisions for us to have access to games with the B12 FB schools then okay.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Don’t care, but FSU and Clemson certainly are assuming they’ll get into one of them. as long as we get into the Big12 first then I’ll sit back and watch the leftover ACC teams kill themselves trying to get a Big12 invite
My priority is UConn. Getting into the B12 is most likely UConn's life boat in an ever increasing hostile ocean of change that will impact the college sports landscape in a negative way for most universities. With that said FSU and Clemson to the B12 pushes the football value of that conference closer to the SEC and BIG and makes the B12 conference comperable to however these series of events flow.

Even though I may not be around to observe the sea change I'm talking about I would prefer that in 10 -15 years from now UConn not be in a future situation where it needs another life boat to survive.

So in addition to the hopeful addition of the basketball universities like Duke I have a preference to see FSU and Clemson in the B12.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not to mention the majority of Connecticut voters. The state already built UConn one stadium. Of course, UConn could pay for it themselves.
Building an on campus stadium is not that difficult to do. The cost can be bonded. We just spent $215M for a medium sized dorm. The new science building was $220M. So even if a stadium is $700M that is about three times the cost of a dorm or classroom building. The USF new stadium is about $340M. Northwestern is about $800M.

Reaction Score
So the best bball conference and 4th best football conference. How’s that compare to the 3rd best bball conference and indy football?
Staying in the Big East is not viable long term option. in Order for UConn to stay relevant they need $$$$$, and lots of it. $$$$$ is something the Big East cannot provide. It would be fine if UConn were just a small private religious institution. Fortunately for us, UConn is not that.

Reaction Score
Basketball will be just fine and games vs Kansas (seem to have had eyes for the b10 for at least a decade), Zona, Houston and Baylor would be amazing even though fball may never win a game again.

UConn football would eventually have B12 money, B12 opponents, increased fan interest, and financial stability, which means improved recruiting(& transfer portal) prospects & improved coaching staff prospects.

They'll win games.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
How about Pitt?;)
The Rent is not an NFL stadium. And Pitt’s stadium is closer to their campus than the Rent is to Storrs. By 2031 the Rent will be 30 years old. I don’t think it will scream “power conference” through the 2030’s and 2040’s.

Reaction Score
Two of the newest members of the Big Ten play off-campus, fwiw.
Aren't those the Rose Bowl and the LA Memorial Coliseum. Even our most enthusiastic supporters of the Rent, can't compare the Rent to them. It's apples and diamonds.

Reaction Score
UConn needs to get football up to the top level ASAP so we can be part of that discussion vs being left behind. We need to think big, and have a plan to execute.

We need to cheat, but with NIL it’s going to be really hard to cheat now. Any ideas out there, not related to Pitino?

Reaction Score
After the dust settles on what was certainly an underwhelming discussion, I think there is just one question here.

Why did a booster order the code red to have this put out there right now? Did they just want to see if this gins up other like reports (ie get the ball rolling in public) or something more clever like seeking to spur the ACC to step up?
My thought for some time has been the B1G should step up and bring us in if they want to win another championship in basketball before Izzo is laid to rest and that we should be enticing them to come after UConn to fill in some major gaps in two of the three most meaningful sports.

Besides that, they've under-performed overall compared to the SEC relative to meaningful championships won so you would think they'd want us. We'd bring New England and have more of an impact on NY than Rutgers while giving their "eastern" teams an additional "local" opponent. Win/win for all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
700M here, 700M there; pretty soon you're talking real money.
I know right? It makes much more sense to keep pumping money into the XL center, because that's worked out every time! Am I right?

CL82

Reaction Score
If UConn can get within 2-3 miles of campus, that might be enough. Several P4 schools (and a couple of P2s) have stadiums more than a mile off campus.
But why, though since we have available space on campus that can easily accommodate the stadium.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
But why, though since we have available space on campus that can easily accommodate the stadium.
If it was doable on campus, why hasn't it been done?

My point is that if Mansfield is the problem, avoid Mansfield.

CL82

Reaction Score
If it was doable on campus, why hasn't it been done?

My point is that if Mansfield is the problem, avoid Mansfield.
For a lot of reasons that have been discussed a few times in the recent threads so I won't go back over them, but basically it made no sense to do it while we had Rentschler field. The speculation lately is that the big 12 may require an on-campus stadium, which would change that balance. Alternatively, they may just require a certain capacity, in which case we probably expand Rentschler field. We will. know more when more details about what they want come out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom