UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 17 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
MAYBE I'm delusional, but this time I really feel chances we get in are pretty good, Yormark's timing with this discussion specifically makes me feel this way there's no conference in the middle of a complete collapse and we are coming off a 2nd national title in basketball and an overall increase in value as a program

Reaction Score
I think Notre Dame only gets 20% from the ACC, for what it's worth.
Notre Dame got ~$22 million from the ACC last year. Remember, they are also playing 2 to 3 football games per year at ACC schools.

Reaction Score
So is the significant investment an on campus stadium? I don't really know what else we can invest more in...we have a really.good.indoor training facility, we have a well known head coach who we pay decently. We had a huge NIL increase this year..... so the only lack of investment is the Rent?? Not sure if that's it....
The entire coaching staff does not make what many of the HCs in the B12 do. The recruiting budget for a now 85 scholarship + 20 walk-on program is the same as the basketball programs. That limit is going to increase as well as the limits for other programs within an AD. They were involved with over 400 kids last cycle. As far as physical investment, guessing its either on-campus stadium or upgrade and add an upper deck to the side opposite the press box at East Hartford. AAC exit fees end in 2026, then NBE exit fees begin. Not sure about B12 entrance fees if this move happens. What level of AD budget is th B12 looking for?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
MAYBE I'm delusional, but this time I really feel chances we get in are pretty good, Yormark's timing with this discussion specifically makes me feel this way there's no conference in the middle of a complete collapse and we are coming off a 2nd national title in basketball and an overall increase in value as a program
Rocky And Bullwinkle Internet GIF

Reaction Score
UConn WBB will be on ESPN consistently. WBB viewership is growing. Don‘t underestimate the interest here. People will tune in even if you don’t. The value to ESPN is greater than zero.
Big 12 women's basketball, after Kim Mulkey left Baylor for LSU after the 2020/2021 season, has been a solid conference, but with no blue blood school. Since Mulkey left, Baylor has finished the season ranked 7, unranked, 15. Baylor has won 3 NCAA championships and Texas Tech won in 1993 and the current Big 12 schools have a total of 5 Final Four appearances.

Right now, you would rank Big 12 women's basketball as the 4th best WBB conference, but adding UConn would push the conference to #2 or #3. If you believe WBB is rapidly gaining in popularity and potential monetization, UConn adds tremendous value to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
If you believe WBB is rapidly gaining in popularity and potential monetization, UConn adds tremendous value to the Big 12.
The other night, the Connecticut Sun actually sold out TD Garden in Boston for a game against the LA Sparks. No Caitlin Clark, no Angel Reese, not even A'ja Wilson. The Sun are a good team, but have never won a title, and they're not Boston-based. Yet, people showed up in droves. Something has definitely shifted in the world of women's hoops, and UConn sports just got even more valuable as a program set.

Coupled with the back-to-back men's natties and Hurley's passing on Kentucky and the Lakers to stay at UConn, the value leap that these two already-great programs have taken in the last 18 months is undeniable. Not moving on UConn now would be a big mistake for both the ACC and the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Selfishly hoping it's real this time as a KU fan (and owner of my own husky pack lol). Understand that any fanbase is not homogenous and as an old school Big 8 fan...I'm there with the folks who pine for putting the genie back in the bottle. But we can't.

I'll say this...I'm a "mostly hoops" Jayhawk fan - the most common variety and I'd assume probably one of the more common UConn fan types. But I'll tell you this much - what's better than having a title winning/contending hoops blue blood program is doing that while also having a buzzy football program and just an overall healthy athletics department.

Lots of parallels between our schools...you've had the same spikes of fun football seasons but also periods of tepid interest and a need for upgraded facilities. We've been slowly upgrading our facilities over the past decade and now the stadium is under construction. NIL money is pouring in. We should be good in football this year but more than just being a spike - this time - it feels like an actual change. There is complete confidence in Yormark guiding this athletics conference and there is confidence in the fanbase, the donors, the administration - to go out and spend the money to ensure the entire athletics department can thrive with security at the top levels of sport.

It's a good feeling. Especially going through the last decade+. Things will always be evolving and changing but hope to welcome UConn in soon and hope for the sanity of all you Huskies fans, that you can at least enjoy some stability in the near future.

PS - Yormark is a NE dude. He's not gonna leave you all hanging on an island nor ignore the history of hoops. My guess is we will see the football title game remain yearly at JerryWorld and then I'd love to see the hoops tournament rotate between KC, Vegas and the Mecca. It gives each of the potential tentpole programs (KU, AZ, UConn) a spiritual hosting site and reinforces the national prestige of Big 12 basketball. Don't poo-poo KC before you come either - we know how to host a thriving basketball tournament. We've been doing it a long time. But in order to be a true national conference, I expect the Big 12 will build the connections needed. And a trip to MSG to see a conference tournament game would be high on anybody's list!

Reaction Score
Basketball will be just fine and games vs Kansas (seem to have had eyes for the b10 for at least a decade), Zona, Houston and Baylor would be amazing even though fball may never win a game again.

Reaction Score
Big 12 women's basketball, after Kim Mulkey left Baylor for LSU after the 2020/2021 season, has been a solid conference, but with no blue blood school. Since Mulkey left, Baylor has finished the season ranked 7, unranked, 15. Baylor has won 3 NCAA championships and Texas Tech won in 1993 and the current Big 12 schools have a total of 5 Final Four appearances.

Right now, you would rank Big 12 women's basketball as the 4th best WBB conference, but adding UConn would push the conference to #2 or #3. If you believe WBB is rapidly gaining in popularity and potential monetization, UConn adds tremendous value to the Big 12.

If my quick view was correct, the B12 had 4-5 programs ranked last year not named Texas or Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
If you have a chance to join the p4 club you have to take it. Wash st and Oregon st are considered equal to is because they were in the club before. Just being in the club gives you instant credibility. To go along with our bball greatness. Plus what if football takes off and we win the big12 and bball stays the same. Then the BIG comes knocking on our door. And we find ourselves playing Michigan for the BIG football title in 5-10 years at the meadowlands.

Plus this isn’t the aac. Kansas and Arizona are big time bball. Plus if we leave nicely we can play St. John’s and our old friends at MSG.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If you have a chance to join the p4 club you have to take it. Wash st and Oregon st are considered equal to is because they were in the club before. Just being in the club gives you instant credibility. To go along with our bball greatness. Plus what if football takes off and we win the big12 and bball stays the same. Then the BIG comes knocking on our door. And we find ourselves playing Michigan for the BIG football title in 5-10 years at the meadowlands.
Building on your point. We have to have a 10-20 year view. And to me its not out of the question that after we spend 10-15 years in the B12 we end up in the grand daddy of them all, the B1G.

But we will never make any such leap without this next step to the B12.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Can we get a status check?
read the pete thamel article in espn, there’s no support from the presidents for this to happen and a vote is not even close to happening.

your poor and desperate huskies are basically willing to come for free until 2031 provided you spend enough money on football. pretty sad if you ask me.

hate to see my huskie bros being used as a pawn to put public pressure on the acc.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Big 12 football isn't all that good. It shouldn't take UConn long to get football up to that level.
you couldn't even do better than 1-7 in the AAC
The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

Reaction Score
Notre Dame got ~$22 million from the ACC last year. Remember, they are also playing 2 to 3 football games per year at ACC schools.
Or even just one game at an ACC school. They do have 4 of them at Notre Dame this season.

Reaction Score
And the only athletic accomplishment for your school was before you were born. Your sports highlight every year is trying to keep your loss within single digits against Xavier.
I mean I love hyperbole and all but unless Kobe is 3 his team made the four team college football playoff.

Reaction Score
read the pete thamel article in espn, there’s no support from the presidents for this to happen and a vote is not even close to happening.

your poor and desperate huskies are basically willing to come for free until 2031 provided you spend enough money on football. pretty sad if you ask me.

hate to see my huskie bros being used as a pawn to put public pressure on the acc.
Thamel is a Syracuse grad. That part of ESPN never likes UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom