UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 16 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It won’t be cut rate.

If we got 15.5 per year (half of the new b12 contract) for basketball only, that would be a major home run vs our current 6-8 in the BE.
Isn't 20% the going rate for a basketball only?

Reaction Score
Isn't 20% the going rate for a basketball only?
Maybe for a no name but this is UConn basketball and right now it is the at the height of the game. I'm sure we won't go if we don't get at least 12-15 Million per year until football joins.

CL82

Reaction Score
Maybe for a no name but this is UConn basketball and right now it is the at the height of the game. I'm sure we won't go if we don't get at least 12-15 Million per year until football joins.
Keep in mind that our addition and travel cost is probably going be $2 million. The new big east deal is $6.5 million so you have to figure $8.5 million is breakeven.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think Notre Dame only gets 20% from the ACC, for what it's worth.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that our addition and travel cost is probably going be $2 million. The new big east deal is $6.5 million so you have to figure $8.5 million is breakeven.
Yeah that is why I think we are aiming for 12-15 million. This could be the sticking point on us joining right now. I wonder if this was the issue last time they approached us too about the money. I'm sure the big 12 just wanted our basketball but were probably trying to low ball us last time. Now they see how valuable the UConn brand is and are trying to raise the price and give us a bone for our football program. It will be interesting to see where we end up.

Reaction Score
no
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Can we get a status check?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So is the significant investment an on campus stadium? I don't really know what else we can invest more in...we have a really.good.indoor training facility, we have a well known head coach who we pay decently. We had a huge NIL increase this year..... so the only lack of investment is the Rent?? Not sure if that's it....

Reaction Score
So is the significant investment an on campus stadium? I don't really know what else we can invest more in...we have a really.good.indoor training facility, we have a well known head coach who we pay decently. We had a huge NIL increase this year..... so the only lack of investment is the Rent?? Not sure if that's it....
I'd be damn happy with that. The Rent cost us what $90 million over 20 years ago. Keep it for 6 more years and that's only $3 million/year. Then let high schools use it. Or if people insist on calling East Hartford home, then invest in a high tech new stadium which is used year round for other purposes too. Invest.

Reaction Score
Wondering if the B1G even raised their eyebrows at this UConn to B12 talk? Wouldn’t it be interesting if Dave got a call from ol l KM l

Reaction Score
Yeah that is why I think we are aiming for 12-15 million. This could be the sticking point on us joining right now. I wonder if this was the issue last time they approached us too about the money. I'm sure the big 12 just wanted our basketball but were probably trying to low ball us last time. Now they see how valuable the UConn brand is and are trying to raise the price and give us a bone for our football program. It will be interesting to see where we end up.
According to the NYT story, ESPN would add money to the Big 12 media deal and the addition of UConn would be revenue neutral to the other schools.

"The Big 12 is a year away from beginning a new six-year deal with ESPN and Fox that will pay its members an average of $31.7 million per school. The deal was agreed to before the former Pac-12 schools’ additions, but ESPN was required to pay a pro-rata share to the four Power 5 members. UConn, however, would not be guaranteed the same deal.

ESPN has previously considered adding more money to the Big 12’s television deal, according to broadcasting sources briefed on the talks. ESPN is located in Bristol, Conn., just 40 miles from Storrs.

Current members have been told UConn’s addition would be “budget-neutral” and would not reduce conference revenue payouts to existing members, according to multiple Big 12 administrators."

Reaction Score
I don't see how UConn could guarantee that to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Wondering if the B1G even raised their eyebrows at this UConn to B12 talk? Wouldn’t it be interesting if Dave got a call from ol l KM l
Still think the B1G are clowns for not scooping up UConn and literally locking up the NY/Northeast Market. But, at this point the B12 actually looks like a more dynamic, fun conference with some great programs.

Reaction Score
Odd that this is framed as us having a choice? Like we turned down some sort of offer previously? Clueless or more to the story than we know?
One thing that I thought was strange is that when Flugaur reads from the Athletic's story (he shows it on his youtube video) it says that "ESPN has previously considered adding more money to the Big 12’s television deal to help lure UConn according to broadcasting sources briefed on the talks."

The Athletic story that is online now does not have the phrase "to help lure UConn."

Reaction Score

Yup. Our basketball stock is sky-high - a lot more now than even this time a year ago IMO. Back-to-back natties and the best coach in the nation who turned down UK and the LA Lakers to stay at UConn. That's gotta be worth a lot to the B12 and potentially gives us some wiggle room for football.

Reaction Score
They have this thing. I think Ted Williams son got him into it. I hear it works well.
Ot try this

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom