Worrying about football is so short-sighted
Best basketball programs with a coach who turned down the Lakers
Flagship University of Connecticut
A Top Ranked Public University
Great Northeast Market
National Championships in multiple sports
Excellent Baseball program
Football played Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl

meanwhile the likes of Baylor, BYU, Cinci, Houston, TCU, UCF, Colorado, Arizona State all had down years last year.
UConn Football would compete no question.

do it jewish GIF

Reaction Score

-> Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark has renewed his pursuit of expansion target UConn, with league officials set for a meeting next week where the issue will be reintroduced for in-depth discussion, multiple Big 12 administrators and broadcasting sources told The Athletic. <-

->According to the sources, if the Big 12 did accept UConn, its football program would not join the league until the next television rights contract, or at the very least for several years. When UMass joins the MAC next year, UConn will be one of two remaining FBS independents, along with Notre Dame.

In order to feel comfortable adding another school, the current members will want assurance that UConn’s addition would not dilute their shares of league revenue.

The Big 12 is a year away from beginning a new six-year deal with ESPN and Fox that will pay its members an average of $31.7 million per school. The deal was agreed to before the former Pac-12 schools’ additions, but ESPN was required to pay a pro-rata share to the four Power 5 members. UConn, however, would not be guaranteed the same deal. <-

This could work with a B12 scheduling arrangement as a bridge to the next contract. Then we just keep bugging them to get in sooner.

Reaction Score
For those of us who been tracking these things forever, this is more of a relief than anything else. I just hope we will get the official invite soon so we don't have to keep talking about realignment.

I have no doubt we will turn this football ship around soon enough. An on campus football stadium would be nice too once more media money has been secured.

Reaction Score
Sounds like to seal the deal we will have to agree to some sort of formula that ensures the current 16 get "full shares" at the next media deal in 7 years and UConn will have to agree to some sort of lesser/at risk calc for its share. I suppose you could live with that provided after say 10 or 12 years we are full members, no more special math.

My understanding is that we will be getting some $ for the value of our basketball. Something between the BE figure and a 1/2 share of the B12. So while football might be on its own during the phase in, we will be getting paid something decent for BB. Probably Fox will step up.
We gonna take a cut rate for the best hoops in the country and be in limbo with football? I doubt that. Basketball needs to be equal for what it brings the league. Football will be gradual.

Reaction Score
This could work with a B12 scheduling arrangement as a bridge to the next contract. Then we just keep bugging them to get in sooner.
That's my thought as well. Scheduling arrangement and guaranteed full football membership in 2031 but the timeline is shortened if we meet performance and football investment standards. It would benefit both the Big 12 and UConn.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hate to say this, but also play ucf for the damn Conflict trophy.
I hate that you said it, too. They always crapped on us even though we opened their damn BB building. How many other 2-time champions even took their calls?

Reaction Score

Yessir. It's worth it in the long run even if it means getting a lesser share than the other B12 schools for a while. Main thing is UConn football would finally have their foot in the door, and that's the key to long term financial security for all of UConn's athletic programs.

Reaction Score
I am very very excited about this but have to say the Pete Thamel article made it seem like this is far from a done deal. If we get teased this hard again I'm going to lose my mind.

If we negotiate this right, we're in. Obviously we're still worth enough to Yormark to have these meetings. He wants a strong basketball conference and what program is better than UConn's right now?

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We gonna take a cut rate for the best hoops in the country and be in limbo with football? I doubt that. Basketball needs to be equal for what it brings the league. Football will be gradual.
It won’t be cut rate.

If we got 15.5 per year (half of the new b12 contract) for basketball only, that would be a major home run vs our current 6-8 in the BE.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 has legitimate concerns about our football program. If this 2031 thing is correct, they’re giving us 7 years to get our act together. The power conference train leaves in 2031. Hopefully we’re on it.
Exactly, one can only hope. Ive been seeing people complain about that on X. Judging off last season, could you imagine jumping right into a full B12 schedule? Thats a recipe for disaster.

Reaction Score
I know, but we would likely give them football for almost nothing until 2031. Wouldn't we?
Yeah it’s a strange detail that I can’t really comprehend. Maybe it comes with scheduling agreements? Or an option to start sooner. Or if an additional school is added we start alongside the new school. Idk.

Reaction Score
If we negotiate this right, we're in. Obviously we're still worth enough to Yormark to have these meetings. He still wants a strong basketball conference and who's better than UConn right now?
It tells me the relationships have legs even though the last expansion didn't go our way. My hope is that Yormark wouldn't open this up again without a high degree of confidence he has things lined up. It would be unprofessional at this point. There's no vetting left to be done. It's about value and the future direction of the B12. And the Northeast esp. CT seems to have reversed the outmigration trend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom