UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
With the House settlement - which only really considered revenue-generating sports football and basketball - there will be a huge reshuffling of college athletics and it might be a mess.

It should have just split into 2 separate worlds - Revenue vs Non Revenue....and not at the conference level but the sport level.

Revenue sports pay players, and non-revenue dont. Revenue sports get a large share of the funding..... non-revenue self-fund or play at a club level. etc.

This mess may benefit non power conference...

How the power conferences will interact with non-power conferences will be interesting. For example, take baseball - in the non-power conferences, you don't have to abide by the roster limit but CAN give a higher about of scholarships. So, say a Virginia, has to limit its baseball roster to 34 but UConn doesn't have to... the Huskies can give 34 scholarships but can have 50 players.

There may also be a redistribution of players and more parity in non-revenue sports. 64 teams in D1 lacrosse have no limit on roster size, 11 that have D1 football teams have to limit the roster to 48. Average roster size is between 48 to 60 - UVA 53, ND 60, Maryland 52, etc. Just off of those three teams alone that 21 players that will be "cut" to accommodate the roster limit, where will they go? To the other 64 teams with no limits.

The average lacrosse player get $5K athletic money and the rest is academics and tuition. Some non power league schools with keep operating lacrosse with no impact while the P2 lacrosse scools may be hampered by this ruling.

It will be interesting how this plays out..and if changes are again made.
My concern is for the kids not at the top
I had a grandnephew who completed a 4 years degree a a very prestigious non D1 school on a football scholarship he had no illusions of professionalism. . But he is in a different world than he ever dreamed possible. He was an honor student
I have another grandnephew playing Hockey for a prestigious large school
My nephew his father made the socio economic jump on his football ability again to a smaller school . Both those guys are 6’3 250. snd OL like there uncle
i have a grandniece whose 5’11“ senior wing on a top prep school with D1 offers .
Those are life changing for those kids anyone who screws that up should be drawn and quartered

Reaction Score
This feels “different” than last year. While I love the Big East and local rivals, this is a move we NEED to make. Stability, $$$, great basketball, etc.

While football in ‘31 would be tough to take (I’d rather it be ‘28/29 season - maybe with a partial share and next media contract in ‘31 we get a full share), we can hopefully have a scheduling agreement until then.

Plus - we can laugh at Syracuse and BC sweating it out when the ACC implodes.

Reaction Score
worry about that later, you take this offer

The thing that bothers me is there is no building process in major sports anymore, every player is a free agent at the end of each season, we won't necessarily be in a better position in 2031 than we would be in 2026 or 2027. They should just add us.

Unless we are telling them we can't ramp up football until they give us a full share, which might be possible.

Reaction Score
The thing that bothers me is there is no building process in major sports anymore, every player is a free agent at the end of each season, we won't necessarily be in a better position in 2031 than we would be in 2026 or 2027. They should just add us.

Unless we are telling them we can't ramp up football until they give us a full share, which might be possible.
I believe 2031 would be the start time because it’s when the new Big 12 contract begins and the current schools don’t want their current payout diluted by UConn.

Reaction Score
I believe Kansas is one of the overlooked gems in CR, perhaps just my opinion. Kansas and Arizona wanting UConn in the conference should offset any football schools worrying about UConn Football. I could see that being the last hurdle, how soon will UConn Football get a full share. It won't be a deal breaker, but UConn has more hand than others think, and should play that hand to the fullest.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I would think the Big 12 would wait for the ACC to fall apart and look at the fire sale.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
ESPN and AP articles pouring some cold water on it happening anytime soon if at all

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I believe 2031 would be the start time because it’s when the new Big 12 contract begins and the current schools don’t want their current payout diluted by UConn.
I saw one report that said UConn is “revenue neutral” for the Big 12.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tbh one of the best reasons to get into the Big XII before an ACC collapse would be to have a no vote against BC when the ACC crumbles
Haha, not gonna lie, I was thinking the same thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom