UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
Very exciting, but if this happens I hope we don't have to wait until 2031 for football to join. So far away....

I don’t think that will happen. I think it is misinformation and we just won’t get a full revenue share until 2031. That makes
much more sense. I’d guess we’d be playing a full B12 football schedule by 2026 or 2027.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Very exciting, but if this happens I hope we don't have to wait until 2031 for football to join. So far away....
It's too far. You can't recruit to that. 2028/2029 or something feels right. And they can throw us a few football games to beef up our independent TV deal.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

-> Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark has renewed his pursuit of expansion target UConn, with league officials set for a meeting next week where the issue will be reintroduced for in-depth discussion, multiple Big 12 administrators and broadcasting sources told The Athletic. <-

->According to the sources, if the Big 12 did accept UConn, its football program would not join the league until the next television rights contract, or at the very least for several years. When UMass joins the MAC next year, UConn will be one of two remaining FBS independents, along with Notre Dame.

In order to feel comfortable adding another school, the current members will want assurance that UConn’s addition would not dilute their shares of league revenue.

The Big 12 is a year away from beginning a new six-year deal with ESPN and Fox that will pay its members an average of $31.7 million per school. The deal was agreed to before the former Pac-12 schools’ additions, but ESPN was required to pay a pro-rata share to the four Power 5 members. UConn, however, would not be guaranteed the same deal. <-

“ESPN has previously considered adding more money to the Big 12’s television deal, according to broadcasting sources briefed on the talks. ESPN is located in Bristol, Conn., just 40 miles from Storrs. Fox, the Big 12’s other broadcast rights partner, may be less inclined to add money as it already has UConn basketball as part of its Big East package.

Current members have been told UConn’s addition would be “budget-neutral” and would not reduce conference revenue payouts to existing members, according to multiple Big 12 administrators.”

Reaction Score
I don’t think that will happen. I think it is misinformation and we just won’t get a full revenue share until 2031. That makes
much more sense. I’d guess we’d be playing a full B12 football schedule by 2026 or 2027.

Yeah, it doesn't take 6 years to "invest in football", the investment has already been made, we just need the league and a ramping up of NIL money which could happen quickly. The fans would come back in year 1.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
much more sense.
I can see a plan where UConn plays 1-2 Big 12 team in 2025, 2-3 in 2026, 3-4 in 2027 and so on. Basically a long ramp to get UConn football up to a respectable level when we join as a full FB member in 2031 without being seen as a drag on Big 12 strength of schedule as UConn builds itself into a P3 level football program in the first few years of the rebuild.

In this scenario we would still get compensated for the football games and this keeps and builds recruits and fans and even coaches interest in UConn. It’s a win-win for UConn and the Big 12.

Reaction Score
With a runway for football until 2031 I'm not sure we take it. Because if a more crazy realignment stuff goes down we are left dangling with nowhere to put basketball. Like if the Sec and B1G pick apart the ACC and big 12 to totally break off and we are not picked. To much of a risk with that kind of timeline.

Reaction Score
With a runway for football until 2031 I'm not sure we take it. Because if a more crazy realignment stuff goes down we are left dangling with nowhere to put basketball. Like if the Sec and B1G pick apart the ACC and big 12 to totally break off and we are not picked. To much of a risk with that kind of timeline.

True, by 2031 who knows what the landscape will look like.

Reaction Score
I actually thought of this too, but I didn’t bother to say it. That’s why I think we are going to be playing football in the Big 12 sooner than 2031. Otherwise, this train wouldn’t have left the station. I think they’ve got a deal already. It is a matter of presidential approval.

Reaction Score
The scuttlebutt I've heard is this is the component of the story that's wrong - the wait until 2031 to be a full participant member in football. I don't know any more than that.

Reaction Score
The key people in this deal will be UConn's legal staff, who will be responsible for making sure that the contractual terms do not put the university at risk of twisting in the wind based on the long "runway" to football admission. If the contracts can he structured on favorable terms to UConn then I think the University has to accept the Big 12 terms for long term reasons.

Reaction Score
Pretty safe to assume these rumors were complete bs once again? There hasn't been any smoke whatsoever since these Locked On guys threw the rumor out there and I feel like if something was actually in the works then there would be other sources putting the word out there by now.
I would just like to take credit for manifesting what seem to be credible rumors with my post earlier today. You're welcome.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
So how much would the B12 pay us until 2031? Not that I would ever say no, but this seems like an important detail.

Reaction Score
So how much would the B12 pay us until 2031? Not that I would ever say no, but this seems like an important detail.
Thought I heard half a share somewhere. Not totally sure. But that is much more than a Big East payout.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom