UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
The scuttlebutt I've heard is this is the component of the story that's wrong - the wait until 2031 to be a full participant member in football. I don't know any more than that.
No football until 2031 makes no sense because we won't be able to fill a schedule. And if they're going to add us anyway why bother with a scheduling agreement to get us to '31.

No football payout until 2031 makes more sense. Maybe full basketball share immediately, no football until 2031 and then a half share in 2031 unless we've hit metrics for a full share.

Reaction Score
I don’t think that will happen. I think it is misinformation and we just won’t get a full revenue share until 2031. That makes
much more sense. I’d guess we’d be playing a full B12 football schedule by 2026 or 2027.
It would make the scheduling change with I think it was FAU yesterday where our game was moved from 2026 to 2025….

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
No football until 2031 makes no sense because we won't be able to fill a schedule. And if they're going to add us anyway why bother with a scheduling agreement to get us to '31.

No football payout until 2031 makes more sense. Maybe full basketball share immediately, no football until 2031 and then a half share in 2031 unless we've hit metrics for a full share.
I can't imagine UConn agreeing to move their premier programs that are already in the BE without having a spot for their FB team. FB is what needs a home. They want our Men and Women's bball teams, you gotta take the FB team too and I can't imagine they'd be ok with waiting until 2031.

Reaction Score
So Mark Zannetto deserves an apology from some posters here as he was on this first and somewhat accurately.
IF this turns out to be a realistic option then I will be first in line to congratulate Zanetto. Saying the deal was "imminent" was a pretty strong, no, an uber statement around here, so anything less than an invitation doesn't fly straight.

I was hoping for an ACC collapse but now I'm hoping it survives with or without FSU. If the ACC programs are locked in, UConn's chances for the Big 12 are better. UConn and any number of other programs would be awesome. SDSU would be great even though the Corner 4 really boosted the western flank. UConn, USF, Temple, Memphis would really help the East and I know, crazy.

big 12.JPG

Reaction Score
I can't imagine UConn agreeing to move their premier programs that are already in the BE without having a spot for their FB team. FB is what needs a home. They want our Men and Women's bball teams, you gotta take the FB team too and I can't imagine they'd be ok with waiting until 2031.
You probably wait if you have to because the ACC could implode at any point between tonight and when the GOR runs out. We need to be in the Big XII before that happens.

The biggest thing our addition would tell me is that Big 24 is a real game plan from Yormark. Survive in numbers. Eastern division would be sick and fans would forget all about the big east.

Reaction Score
The football delay is pretty bad but at this point we have to take it, otherwise we just kick the can down the road even further and possibly end up in a worse situation. I guarantee that the Big 12 will be willing to help put us in the best position for football success possible before we join in 2031.

Reaction Score
So Zanetto does have real sources. I hope this happens and we can put all this nonsense behind us but the deal has to work for us too. I'm tired of UConn bringing so much to everyone else while UConn gets screwed.

I can speak for all the doubters (myself included) happy to eat crow. Bring it!

Reaction Score
IF this turns out to be a realistic option then I will be first in line to congratulate Zanetto. Saying the deal was "imminent" was a pretty strong, no, an uber statement around here, so anything less than an invitation doesn't fly straight.

I was hoping for an ACC collapse but now I'm hoping it survives with or without FSU. If the ACC programs are locked in, UConn's chances for the Big 12 are better. UConn and any number of other programs would be awesome. SDSU would be great even though the Corner 4 really boosted the western flank. UConn, USF, Temple, Memphis would really help the East and I know, crazy.

View attachment 103069
We will have Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse, etc to fill out the east after the ACC collapse. Getting in now is great because we have nothing but good things to look forward to in the future. I'm totally sold on Big 24 East vs. West tournaments. Round robins on each side. Imagine the things they could do. Host the first half of the tournament for east in NY and West in Texas. Then have their own "final four" somewhere else.

Reaction Score
For us old farts 2031 is too long…

With the transfer portal, NIL, and expanded playoffs there is no downside to the B12 adding UConn football to the 2026 season. None. TV should want it because it adds northeast eyeballs to B12 games. We would likely be willing to give them football for almost no money until 2031. They could even manipulate the schedule so we don't play the top football teams in the league. So where is the harm? Why make us wait?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With the transfer portal, NIL, and expanded playoffs there is no downside to the B12 adding UConn football to the 2026 season. None. TV should want it because it adds northeast eyeballs to B12 games. We would likely be willing to give them football for almost no money until 2031. They could even manipulate the schedule so we don't play the top football teams in the league. So where is the harm?
Tell that to the Big12 presidents ... its insane how toxic we are to them.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
From a completely selfish perspective, if something happens that removes the @Pitt game in '27, I'm going to be very, very angry.

Far as B12, I can see making the 4 hour drive to Cincy, it's a fun town. But the 90 minutes to Morgantown... don't care how close it is, that place and its fans suck goatballs.

Reaction Score
The original rumor was "expected to join in two weeks" and now we are hearing, "pending a President's vote" Isn't it thought to be true that these things don't go to vote unless its already a done deal? Are we one week away from the big announcement?

Reaction Score
With a runway for football until 2031 I'm not sure we take it. Because if a more crazy realignment stuff goes down we are left dangling with nowhere to put basketball. Like if the Sec and B1G pick apart the ACC and big 12 to totally break off and we are not picked. To much of a risk with that kind of timeline.

ESPN and Fox aren't going to let the B1G and SEC pick apart the Big 12, why would they want Big 12 schools in the SEC and B1G at a higher rate? Look at the comment about Fox maybe not wanting to chip in because they already have UConn in the Big East.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom