UConn Summer Ball 2021 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn Summer Ball 2021

Reaction Score

My wife went to the Norwich game last night (I was tired from work and had to get up early today), and she told me she thought she saw Jimmy Wang in the dugout wearing number 41. He still isn't listed on the online roster, but I imagine that will come eventually.

Reaction Score
Missed that voice…

Randy Brochu normally is the broadcaster for Norwich home games. However, Randy is away this weekend, so Chris Jones is filling in for him for the games tonight, and the game tomorrow. I had a quick word with Chris by yelling up to him from the stands underneath the broadcast booth between innings.

Reaction Score

In a 2 inning stint, Brady Afthim gave up 1 hit and got 2 strikeouts on his way to a save in his college summer ball debut.

Reaction Score
Bobby McBride has gone 5 innings tonight in his start for Norwich tonight, allowing 1 run. There was a bit of traffic in a couple innings, but he looked good overall. The 1 run came off a couple of soft singles, which were the only hits off of him. 11 strikeouts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bobby McBride has gone 5 innings tonight in his start for Norwich tonight, allowing 1 run. There was a bit of traffic in a couple innings, but he looked good overall. The 1 run came off a couple of soft singles, which were the only hits off of him. 11 strikeouts.

Reaction Score

Once again with the Chris Jones accompaniment on the play by play tonight.

McBride gave up 3 walks in his 5 innings of work, which is pretty good for him. Clearly it was his best outing of the summer season. He now has pitched 22.1 innings, with 37 strikeouts, 12 hits, and 25 walks. If he can keep reducing the amount of walks given up in a game, he could definitely turn into an interesting pitcher.

Reaction Score

Full disclosure here, this tweet and picture are from my wife. Our seats a few rows back from the 1st base dugout made this an easy thing to see. This UConn meeting took place during a pitching change after Brown got hit by a pitch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seven runs in five inning isn't exactly holding your own. On the other hand, Crawford was perfect.
Well, feel free to go quibble w/ his coach:

-> Coach Pickler had nothing but positive things to say about his team after the win. “I thought Gallagher had a great game. He was really good, really good. He pitched outstanding. I don’t usually say that when a guy gives up seven runs, but he was outstanding, you know. <-

Reaction Score
Seven runs in five inning isn't exactly holding your own. On the other hand, Crawford was perfect.

Well - feel free to go quibble w/ his coach:

-> Coach Pickler had nothing but positive things to say about his team after the win. “I thought Gallagher had a great game. He was really good, really good. He pitched outstanding. I don’t usually say that when a guy gives up seven runs, but he was outstanding, you know. <-

Interesting looking at the box score and the stat tracker. In the 1st, 2nd, and 4th innings, a total of 1 player reached base off of Gallagher. However, things happened in the 3rd and 5th innings. There was an error in each of those innings, so I'm sure that didn't help Gallagher. Also can't tell from the stat tracker how hard some of those hits were.

Reaction Score

Reggie Crawford has made two pitching appearances for Bourne in the first week of play on the Cape, and he is certainly getting attention for it. 100 plus mph does get you noticed. With UConn probably losing several key cogs from the pitching staff from the just completed season, it will be interesting to see how the UConn coaching staff chooses to use that weapon next season.

Reaction Score

Incoming UConn grad transfer Cole Chudoba ended up pitching a 1-2-3 9th inning with 2 strikeouts. So far he has pitched 4 scoreless innings, with 6 strikeouts and has allowed no walks and 1 hit. So far 2 UConn pitchers doing fine on the Cape for Bourne.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom