UConn Summer Ball 2021 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn Summer Ball 2021

Reaction Score

Chudoba’s Cape League numbers have been very impressive, especially coming from a school like assumption. Having pitching depth always helps, especially in the college game

I've said this before, but any concerns of mine about Cole Chudoba having not previously pitched in Division 1 college baseball are certainly alleviated to a degree with how he has done on the Cape, considering the Cape League attracts many talented and top notch college players. What is intriguing about Chudoba is that he was used as a starter at Assumption, while on the Cape he was primarily used in long relief, with 6 out of his 7 appearances lasting 3 innings or longer, including 2 4 inning appearances in that total. A relief pitcher who can be effective for 3 or more innings is a nice commodity to have. If Chudoba can perform like this for UConn next spring, that would be a very nice addition to a bullpen that is losing several mainstays from last season.

Reaction Score

Certainly 3 games is not exactly a big sample size when it comes to baseball, but good to see Ben Huber off to a solid start in the Cape League.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Always amuses me at the number of players that get added to Cape Cod League rosters in the stretch run just before the post season playoffs start. Always seems to be a few UConn players and/or recruits included in this mix.

Reaction Score
Always amuses me at the number of players that get added to Cape Cod League rosters in the stretch run just before the post season playoffs start. Always seems to be a few UConn players and/or recruits included in this mix.
Your morning amusement is here ;)

Reaction Score
Your morning amusement is here ;)

That was good morning amusement indeed. A good diversion when I checked my phone during a break at the office today.

Bourne has always been a very popular landing spot for UConn players on the Cape, but this is really getting to be something else. I'm used to one or two UConn players each year joining Cape Cod teams towards the end of the season for the playoff run, but it seems someone forgot to turn off the UConn pipeline.

Reaction Score

Two UConn mentions:

-> Reggie Crawford, LHP (UConn)- Starred for the Braves on the bump (2 IP, 4 SO) and in the batter’s box (8-for-27, one home run), but after just six games in the Cape he joined the USA Collegiate National Team. His report can be found here (USA Baseball Insider- Scouting the Pitchers). <-

-> Austin Parsley (UNC Greensboro) has displayed elite level control with a 36 to 1 K/BB ratio in 26.1 IP this summer. Cole Chudoba (UConn) has done similar with a 17 to 2 ratio in 21.2 IP. The Huskie senior was not scored upon during five of his seven Cape appearances, good for a 2.07 <-

Reaction Score

Larson also has an ERA of 5.95, and has 20 walks in 19.2 innings. The interesting thing is that he pitched in 12 games, and all the runs he gave up were in 3 of those games. In those 3 games he gave up 13 earned runs (15 total) in 4.1 innings. He gave up no runs in the other 15.1 innings in 9 games he pitched.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

UConn mention:

-> UC Riverside’s Zachary Jacobs and UConn’s Patrick Gallagher are 6-foot-1 righthanders in the same mold — both showed 90-92 mph fastballs and the makings of quality four-pitch mixes for Y-D. Both of them rely upon sliders as their best secondary pitch, and both of them competed hard and showed a willingness to make adjustments. <-

Reaction Score

Both Matt Donlan and Matt Garbowski got their batting averages up into the .250 range at the end the regular season. It will be interesting to see how the UConn catching spot shakes out during the fall season and into the spring. After being hurt all last season, we'll to see if another UConn catcher, Ryan Hyde, gets into the competition for the starting spot as well.

Reaction Score

Donlan behind the plate in a big playoff game can hardly be classified as a surprise at this point in the Cape Cod season. O'Donnell is another thing, just having arrived on the Cape to play some ball. Still, It would seem O'Donnell has already earned a lot of trust with his team to get a start in a playoff elimination game. O'Donnell did have some very nice appearances for Vermont of the NECBL this summer, we'll see if that carries over.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom