UConn selects new AD | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn selects new AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When Benedict calls them the Autonomous 5, I think of them breaking away from the NCAA. That would be disastrous for us. I'd rather have him call them the Power 5.

I see what you're saying but I think by calling them the Autonomous 5 he's actually making the case that there is less of a difference between us and them. The Autonomous 5 provide full cost of attendance, as does UConn. Power 5 implies clear separation, I think his intention is to shatter the myth that somehow a school in one of those 5 conferences is superior to UConn just by existing.

Reaction Score
Actually, the difference is huge between "you and them".

One can say a school in an autonomous 5 conference (or power 5 conference) is not necessarily superior to UConn, but it is in a much better position. Perceptionally, it is lifted to elite status. It receives more television exposure and it receives a hell of a lot more money than it would receive if it weren't in a power conference.

So it doesn't matter if a conference is referred to as "autonomous or power", the end result is the same.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

One can say a school in an autonomous 5 conference (or power 5 conference) is not necessarily superior to UConn, but it is in a much better position. Perceptionally, it is lifted to elite status. It receives more television exposure and it receives a hell of a lot more money than it would receive if it weren't in a power conference.

So it doesn't matter if a conference is referred to as "autonomous or power", the end result is the same.

It also gets dark at night and cold in Minneapolis in the winter.

Reaction Score
It also gets dark at night and cold in Minneapolis in the winter.

I am not sure I understand what this has to do with my response to NYUConn's post.

It wasn't my intention to denigrate UConn. I was simply pointing out that it doesn't matter what description UConn's new AD chooses to use when describing the Big Ten, the ACC, the SEC, the Big 12 and the Pac 12.

The expressions "autonomous or power" make no difference. The end result is the same in that these conferences are separating themselves further and further from the G5 conferences. The ever increasing financial gap is just one aspect. Eventually G5 schools, that currently offer full cost of attendance, will not be able to keep up.

This is the main reason we now see G5 schools in the AAC being in a hurry to get into the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Big day for us.. Great hire-sends the message to the world we are serious about football, once and for all.

Reaction around country bears that out

As a non affiliated observer I like the hire. Good mix of experience. Minny allowed him to work in an all around solid AD that focused on many sports, including a sport that UCONN supporters place a lot of value in, ice hockey. Auburn was definitely a different situation as he would have been immersed in football culture in The SEC. He has likely gained first hand knowledge of how to market/grow the single most important sport to conference realignment. There is no doubt he understands how serious the situation facing UCONN is, and I believe your entire school will do whatever is within their power to see to it that when the music stops they have a seat in The P5.

Reaction Score
As a non affiliated observer I like the hire. Good mix of experience. Minny allowed him to work in an all around solid AD that focused on many sports, including a sport that UCONN supporters place a lot of value in, ice hockey. Auburn was definitely a different situation as he would have been immersed in football culture in The SEC. He has likely gained first hand knowledge of how to market/grow the single most important sport to conference realignment. There is no doubt he understands how serious the situation facing UCONN is, and I believe your entire school will do whatever is within their power to see to it that when the music stops they have a seat in The P5.

I agree.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I see what you're saying but I think by calling them the Autonomous 5 he's actually making the case that there is less of a difference between us and them. The Autonomous 5 provide full cost of attendance, as does UConn. Power 5 implies clear separation, I think his intention is to shatter the myth that somehow a school in one of those 5 conferences is superior to UConn just by existing.
I believe Autonomous 5 is the name those conferences chose to use for themselves, the common term is Power 5.

Reaction Score
I believe Autonomous 5 is the name those conferences chose to use for themselves, the common term is Power 5.

It's been my impression the term "autonomous" came about because the major money-generating conferences wanted more autonomy from the NCAA. They wanted the freedom to govern themselves. Full cost of attendance and the deregulation of conference championship game rules are just 2 things we have seen so far as a result of granting these conferences more autonomy.

In the eyes of the nation, these conferences have more "power" in that they can effect change in the NCAA more readily than the other conferences could. The NCAA is now in constant fear of these autonomous conferences breaking away from the NCAA.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Generally agree. I will say that UConn has pretty decent television exposure, with pretty much every game available nationally.

Reaction Score
Generally agree. I will say that UConn has pretty decent television exposure, with pretty much every game available nationally.

From everything I have read so far, I think most believe UConn is p5, but without the benefit of being p5.
It is easy to agree with some of the arguments I have seen presented here and elsewhere on that issue.

I won't disagree with you on the exposure UConn currently gets. The one difference I see is UConn getting more television exposure in football than it currently receives. UConn playing a Big 12 schedule (for example) would be more appealing to most people and to the media than UConn playing an AAC schedule. At least that would be my perception.

Last edited:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
You mean playing Texas instead of Houston, Oklahoma instead of Tulsa, and [insert any other XII member here] instead of Tulane would be more appealing to UConn fans?

Hmm... You don't say...

Reaction Score
You mean playing Texas instead of Houston, Oklahoma instead of Tulsa, and [insert any other XII member here] instead of Tulane would be more appealing to UConn fans?

Hmm... You don't say...

I guess the question is one of how much exposure UConn gets in football (since that is the driving force in conference expansion, well at least for the Big 12).
I was just using the Big 12 as an example. The same could be said about UConn having an ACC schedule or UConn having a Big Ten schedule. Any of these would be more appealing no doubt.

All of this is in reference to my post #102 upthread.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I guess the question is one of how much exposure UConn gets in football (since that is the driving force in conference expansion, well at least for the Big 12).
I was just using the Big 12 as an example. The same could be said about UConn having an ACC schedule or UConn having a Big Ten schedule. Any of these would be more appealing no doubt.

All of this is in reference to my post #102 upthread.
Agree football could be better. Here's the football coverage from last season:

3 games ESPN or ESPN2
6 games ESPNU or ESPN News
3 games CBSSN
1 game SNY (Sports New York, the Mets network) - Season opener against FCS opponent.

Still for a team relatively new to BCS coming off three losing seasons, it wasn't bad.

Reaction Score
Agree football could be better. Here's the football coverage from last season:

3 games ESPN or ESPN2
6 games ESPNU or ESPN News
3 games CBSSN
1 game SNY (Sports New York, the Mets network) - Season opener against FCS opponent.

Still for a team relatively new to BCS coming off three losing seasons, it wasn't bad.

Yes. I would imagine a lot of that had to do with the AAC's media contract with ESPN.
ESPN basically got a cheap deal when the old Big East refused the initial offer from ESPN. Huge mistake by the Big East.

It is my understanding ESPN now has the right to cancel its media contract with the AAC if a combination of any 2 schools leave for another conference. Is there any truth to that? Just wondering.

Big East media rights deal would be terminated by two more school exits, according to sources

So in the case above, if UConn and Cincinnati were to leave to go to the Big 12, that would give ESPN reason to terminate its media contract with the AAC? Interesting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In reference to my post above, maybe the AAC/ESPN contract is not the same as what the old Big East had with ESPN. I might be confusing the two.

Do you guys have more information on that?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Do you guys have more information on that?

The "old" Big East is actually the AAC. The American is still holed up in Providence in the same offices that the Big East has been in for years.

The Big East that exists today is essentially a new conference that bought the Big East name from UConn, Cincinnati and South Florida.

Reaction Score
The "old" Big East is actually the AAC. The American is still holed up in Providence in the same offices that the Big East has been in for years.

The Big East that exists today is essentially a new conference that bought the Big East name from UConn, Cincinnati and South Florida.

Thanks for the info.

I was looking at the UConn vs Houston highlights on youtube.

That was a great game for UConn. Your stadium looks pretty cool in this video.

Reaction Score
Yes.

It's very nice. It seats 117,000 and has 2,700 different beers on tap.

Please tell your Big 12 friends about it.

lol. I like your sense of humor. The 2,700 different beers on tap was a good one.

That would make UConn's stadium larger than DKR (Darrell K Royal) Stadium in Austin:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I found these short podcasts. These are so recent he must have recorded them while he was interviewing for the UConn job.

Auburn COO David Benedict breaks down the survey and feedback mechanisms used by the Tigers to determine how best to move forward with a renovation to Jordan-Hare Stadium in today's episode.

In Part 2 of his interview, Auburn COO David Benedict shares insights on how the new quarter-acre video board at Jordan-Hare Stadium has taken the Tigers to the top of SEC in terms of fan satisfaction.

onequestion.libsyn.com

Sorry I cannot get links to work, but copy and paste the above into your browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom