UConn selects new AD | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn selects new AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Some of my favorite quotes from this:

Football/Rent Expansion: He led a feasibility study for planned renovations to the North end zone at Jordan-Hare Stadium. He coordinated the department's investment and development of a new $14 million video board and sound system and other improvements at the stadium.

Hoops: Serving as sports administrator for Auburn men's basketball, Benedict assisted Jacobs in the national search that landed Head Coach Bruce Pearl. Benedict also provides ongoing support for Auburn football.

Football Gameday Atmosphere (sorely in need of an injection of excitement): The daily grind is worth it for Benedict when it comes time to watch the eagle soar above 87,451 fans at Jordan-Hare Stadium, or listen to the roar of the crowd as the band takes the field. It's all special to him, just as it is to the Auburn Family.

"I don't think people really have a true appreciation of how great the experience on a game day Saturday is at Auburn," Benedict said. "With all the places that I have been, there is no question Auburn is by far and away the best college game day experience I have ever been a part of, both professionally and personal. It is really special."

Fundraising: Auburn - As COO, Benedict directs all day-to-day operations for the department. In his short time at Auburn, Benedict has an impressive track record of success in operational planning, resource allocation, budget development and strong financial management. Partnering with Jacobs, he has led the department's staff in developing strategic long-range plans for a $120+ million budget, facilities, staffing and accomplishing strategic goals.

Minnesota - During his tenure at Minnesota, Benedict worked with the University of Minnesota Foundation to create a framework for the largest athletic campaign in history. He worked closely with the AD to create new strategic plan and master facility plan; played a key role in a highly successful search for a men's basketball coach; managed third party vendors with record results; and served as the athletics department's representative in contract negotiations of the Minnesota Vikings' facility use agreement, which generated a minimum of $6 million over a two-year period.

VCU - Among other highlights, Benedict directed a campaign to raise $3.5 million for a new club seating and suite project, raised $1.5 million in 36 hours to retain Head Basketball Coach Shaka Smart and developed a dynamic sales plan for the ticket sales staff, resulting in record sales in basketball and baseball.

Long Beach - Benedict was Senior Associate Athletic Director at Long Beach State University from 2007-2010. He administered all external areas of the department and directly supervised the baseball program and volunteer boards. While at Long Beach State, Benedict restructured the department's fundraising operation, initiated a $35 million capital campaign, closed a $5 million gift for a new team center, a $1.5 million naming gift for a new tennis facility and two other seven-figure gifts. Overall fundraising totals increased each year of his tenure.

ASU - Benedict was Associate Athletic Director of Development at Arizona State University from 1996 to 2006. During his time at ASU, Benedict raised $5 million for multiple facility renovations and expansions, solicited a $1 million matching contribution for the Annual Fund, implemented new annual giving programs and directed specialty fundraising campaigns.

Media Rights: He also successfully worked with stakeholders to streamline communications and operations related to sports marketing and promotions, television, media relations, ticketing, community outreach and sponsorships.

Bottomline: if there was still any slight sliver of doubt out there in Boneyardland or anywhere else that President Herbst isn't on top of this (and the best possible leader for UConn), this hire should just about seal those up. My goodness, this is a home run hire.

Quoted by Dooley. I have nothing further to accomplish here. My work is done. Goodbye Boneyard. Lol.

The more I read about the guy the more I like this hire. He's seen what it takes and done what it takes to get the job done. We needed a strong business guy especially with the dire financial situation the state is facing. Making UConn self sufficient can only be done through athletics. There's not enough money in BioMed, government grants and raising tuition. DB needs to hit the summer golf tourney tour hard and shake some money out of the donors. The only thing I don't like is that DB hasn't stuck around very long in one place. Patoni tiles here we come!

Reaction Score
Quoted by Dooley. I have nothing further to accomplish here. My work is done. Goodbye Boneyard. Lol.

The more I read about the guy the more I like this hire. He's seen what it takes and done what it takes to get the job done. We needed a strong business guy especially with the dire financial situation the state is facing. Making UConn self sufficient can only be done through athletics. There's not enough money in BioMed, government grants and raising tuition. DB needs to hit the summer golf tourney tour hard and shake some money out of the donors. The only thing I don't like is that DB hasn't stuck around very long in one place. Patoni tiles here we come!
He was at ASU for a long time...then everything he has done since was putting him in position to get this job. He will move on from here if he succeeds which means UConn will be a better place than he found it. I'll take that any day of the week.

Reaction Score

In fairness to him with regard to his leapfrogging from job to job, he's made a lot of very big steps up when moving, so it's not like he's moved laterally or made small incremental steps from place to place. If you're at VCU and Minnesota comes calling with a deputy AD job, you take it. If you're at Minnesota and Auburn comes calling and offers the position of a C-suite job, you take it. If he's successful enough at UConn that an obvious step up AD job is offered to him, that means we're in a good place.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Very well noted fellas. Hopefully this is his pinnacle. I'm all for paving your own way and it appears Benedict has done that throughout his career. I'm very interested in what he can come up with for the upcoming football season in regard to generating more ticket sales. He's gonna have to move fast on it, real fast. IMO, it will be his first measuring stick. If we can jump 1-2k butts in seats per game id call it a win.

On a personal note, I may just have convinced the boss to buy season tix for football through my ranting and raving about UConn getting into a P5.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm anxious to see what, if any, plans are in store to aggressively sell football season tickets. UConn fans pack buildings to the rafters for hoops and hockey. Understandably, quite a few fans jumped off of the USS Rent as a result of the Pasqualoni tenure. We're now out of that and circling the wagons back up and with a football guy in charge of the AD, I'm really looking forward to the gameday atmosphere improvements and seeing more fans in the stands come summer/fall 2016. Then we can start talking about expansion and all of the exciting stuff that comes with a P5 affiliation.

Reaction Score
I'm anxious to see what, if any, plans are in store to aggressively sell football season tickets. UConn fans pack buildings to the rafters for hoops and hockey. Understandably, quite a few fans jumped off of the USS Rent as a result of the Pasqualoni tenure. We're now out of that and circling the wagons back up and with a football guy in charge of the AD, I'm really looking forward to the gameday atmosphere improvements and seeing more fans in the stands come summer/fall 2016. Then we can start talking about expansion and all of the exciting stuff that comes with a P5 affiliation.
Let's hope that this is Benedict's first ticket push...you can also bank on a football/Rent fan experience questionnaire arriving asap.

Reaction Score
Let's hope that this is Benedict's first ticket push...you can also bank on a football/Rent fan experience questionnaire arriving asap.

Oh boy..... That will not go over well!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Oh boy..... That will not go over well!
The questionnaire was extremely well received after the 2014 season. No only that, but it was clear they listened. The parking g.e.s.t.a.p.o. was not so g.e.s.t.a.p.o.-y and a few were even somewhat personable.

The Football program's biggest problem is not with the general public. The stadium is in a fairly centralized location and an increase in winning should keep the sideline sections reasonably full. Mr. Benedict's focus should be establishing greater student-fan involvement and how to keep sections behind the southeast endzone full until the final gun. Student-section tailgate, accumulated attendance points redeemable for football swag, free refreshments? All ideas need to be fully vetted.

Reaction Score
The questionnaire was extremely well received after the 2014 season. No only that, but it was clear they listened. The parking g.e.s.t.a.p.o. was not so g.e.s.t.a.p.o.-y and a few were even somewhat personable.

The Football program's biggest problem is not with the general public. The stadium is in a fairly centralized location and an increase in winning should keep the sideline sections reasonably full. Mr. Benedict's focus should be establishing greater student-fan involvement and how to keep sections behind the southeast endzone full until the final gun. Student-section tailgate, accumulated attendance points redeemable for football swag, free refreshments? All ideas need to be fully vetted.

I agree

Reaction Score
This guy is very interesting. Just the way he speaks, you can tell he really knows what he's talking about. This was particularly striking because the last time we watched an introductory press conference it was for Diaco, and (as much as I like Diaco) the whole thing kind of reeked of BS. I loved how in both his press conference and the WTIC interview when asked about getting to the P5 he deliberately rephrased it as the "autonomy 5".

It's hard to describe why I thought that was noteworthy... there was a feeling of "I've been a part of that community, so I look at this situation a different way". It reminded me of the distinction between old money people vs. new money people. It's not as flashy of a term as Power 5, but it seemed like a term the major players on the inside looking out would use.

He's been to the promised land and formed relationships. He doesn't seem like he's in awe of them. And I don't see why he'd take a job unless there was a very good chance he'd be back in that community, but this time as the AD.

Reaction Score
This guy is very interesting. Just the way he speaks, you can tell he really knows what he's talking about. This was particularly striking because the last time we watched an introductory press conference it was for Diaco, and (as much as I like Diaco) the whole thing kind of reeked of BS. I loved how in both his press conference and the WTIC interview when asked about getting to the P5 he deliberately rephrased it as the "autonomy 5".

It's hard to describe why I thought that was noteworthy... there was a feeling of "I've been a part of that community, so I look at this situation a different way". It reminded me of the distinction between old money people vs. new money people. It's not as flashy of a term as Power 5, but it seemed like a term the major players on the inside looking out would use.

He's been to the promised land and formed relationships. He doesn't seem like he's in awe of them. And I don't see why he'd take a job unless there was a very good chance he'd be back in that community, but this time as the AD.

In honor of Benedict's wishes ... should we start referring to it as the A5??? (Autonomous 5)

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
In honor of Benedict's wishes ... should we start referring to it as the A5??? (Autonomous 5)

Not until we are in it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
President Herbst referred to them at on point as the, "five conferences seeking more autonomy." For a while after that, I referred to them as the "5 CSMA." It didn't take.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
audi-a5.jpg

Reaction Score
When Benedict calls them the Autonomous 5, I think of them breaking away from the NCAA. That would be disastrous for us. I'd rather have him call them the Power 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom