UConn selects new AD | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn selects new AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And this statement from ESPN make me want to punch a wall. Like it was solely Herbst & Warde's fault for not being able to get out of the AAC?

Nobody reads that anyway. The ducks are lining up is all that matters. We can occasionally respond but there's a team in place and it looks like they're making the right moves in a situation not entirely under their control.

Reaction Score
Nobody reads that anyway. The ducks are lining up is all that matters. We can occasionally respond but there's a team in place and it looks like they're making the right moves in a situation not entirely under their control.
I read that line as at least a partial dig at Herbst and Manuel, absolutely.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
He's on twitter. @AUTigersCOO

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure, my post is gone so I'm done posting about that.
upload_2016-2-29_23-49-43.png

Good bye imaginary friend.....

Reaction Score
Looking around for other team message boards (I was looking for a popular Auburn board before to see what they had to say about the hire) I'm always reminded that we're pretty lucky to have such an active board that doesn't cost money

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Posted this in the MBB thread as well, nice quotes here.

Some quotes with some very positive feedback on the hire from those he worked with, as well as Duke and TCU athletic directors. Starting to like the hire a lot the more I read, well done SH.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/genrel/022916aad.html
What They Are Saying About David Benedict

Feb. 29, 2016
Jay Jacobs, Director of Athletics, Auburn University

"I want to congratulate David and the University of Connecticut on this announcement. David is an extremely talented administrator who brings a wealth of experience from Auburn and elsewhere to the job. He helped us tremendously during his time at Auburn, and we are better for it. David is a great leader but an even better person. I'm happy for him and his family, and I know UConn will be in capable hands."

Dr. Kevin White, Vice President and Director of Athletics, Duke University
"Without question, David Benedict is just an outstanding hire! UConn has made a brilliant leadership acquisition, for David clearly represents an emerging 'pinnacle player' within college athletics! David is incredibly well experienced, and will unequivocally 'over deliver' in each and every dimension of his responsibilities. To that end, in particular, David's unique ability to build both highly valued and sustainable relationships internally as well as externally will serve the Huskies exceedingly well. Finally, there is absolutely no one that is more in touch with the needs, interests, and welfare issues that surround the modern day student athlete than David Benedict."

Chris Del Conte, Director of Athletics, TCU
"Congratulations to the University of Connecticut on hitting a home run with its hire of David Benedict! He will be a perfect fit for the Huskies and Storrs. I have known David for quite some time and he's a winner! He has been in leadership capacities at several of the top Universities in the country and will draw upon those vast experiences. David will serve UConn and its constituents in a first-class manner. I'm very excited for him."

Gus Malzahn, Head Football Coach, Auburn University
"David is a true professional, a natural leader and an outstanding administrator. I've enjoyed working with him during the last two years and I know that UConn is fortunate to have David leading its department moving forward. We wish him and his family nothing but the best."

Shaka Smart, Head Men's Basketball Coach, University of Texas
"David Benedict is a tremendous communicator who understands what goes into winning. He will be intensely dedicated to UConn's student-athletes and coaches and help that athletics program continue to thrive."
I love what I just read.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I remember everyone screaming when we got Warde. We got Buffalo's AD? He turned out pretty good...

Now we get the guy who is essentially running Auburn's AD and some people are mad? Smh.

Seems like a good hire. Checks all my boxes anyway. Let's get to work.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I took a quick look for an Auburn fan reaction. Very limited thread on 247, but generally wishing him luck and positive thoughts. There was a bigger thread on their Rivals board but it's premium.

From what I saw, I came away with the distinct feeling that most Auburn posters didn't even know he existed or if they did, what his role was.

Reaction Score
Wasn't there some other guy from Connecticut named Benedict? How did that work out? Just sayin.....

Yes.......and he (Benedict Arnold) was the hero of the Battle of Saratoga (NY) which many have suggested was a decisive and turning point in the Revolutionary War! In fact a statue of him on his horse is prominently displayed in the Historic Saratoga Battlefield.

After that battle, the British recognized the patchwork colonial army is a force to be reckoned with.

Maybe this Benedict can finish what Warde started, and the P-5 will recognize UConn is a force that cannot be denied and needs to be taken seriously.

Thank God he comes from major school with a strong football background and not a small time New England school

Reaction Score
Ironic statement from ESPN considering they conspired along with the ACC to destroy the Big East once the BE rejected their TV offer, eventually leading UConn to be in the sorry spot they're in.
We have to move forward from this line of thinking. If UConn was stabbed in the back by anyone it was the schools that were in the Big East. They turned down the ESPN offer to in turn betray the schools left behind. Pitt is number one in this dept as it was their AD that spearheaded the movement to reject the offer. Sure they are making more money now, but not a single one of those schools that left is thriving with on field/on court success. Pitt and WVU have had their moments.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think this is a tremendous hire. I think Susan knew exactly what we needed. Benedict is from a P5 (having served at 3 of them in the three strongest conferences) and has football bona-fides. We had to have that and I was not looking forward to some MAC guy trying to move up. He seems to have great connections based on those quotes. Very excited by this move.

We had to be considered a great job, given that our last AD just landed at Michigan. I knew we didn't have to settle.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs ‏@jacobscourant · 33m33 minutes ago

New UConn AD David Benedict $450,000 salary, up to $100,000 a year in bonuses. $50,000 a year retention bonus if he stays at least 5 years.

What did Warde make?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Some of my favorite quotes from this:

Football/Rent Expansion: He led a feasibility study for planned renovations to the North end zone at Jordan-Hare Stadium. He coordinated the department's investment and development of a new $14 million video board and sound system and other improvements at the stadium.

Hoops: Serving as sports administrator for Auburn men's basketball, Benedict assisted Jacobs in the national search that landed Head Coach Bruce Pearl. Benedict also provides ongoing support for Auburn football.

Football Gameday Atmosphere (sorely in need of an injection of excitement): The daily grind is worth it for Benedict when it comes time to watch the eagle soar above 87,451 fans at Jordan-Hare Stadium, or listen to the roar of the crowd as the band takes the field. It's all special to him, just as it is to the Auburn Family.

"I don't think people really have a true appreciation of how great the experience on a game day Saturday is at Auburn," Benedict said. "With all the places that I have been, there is no question Auburn is by far and away the best college game day experience I have ever been a part of, both professionally and personal. It is really special."

Fundraising: Auburn - As COO, Benedict directs all day-to-day operations for the department. In his short time at Auburn, Benedict has an impressive track record of success in operational planning, resource allocation, budget development and strong financial management. Partnering with Jacobs, he has led the department's staff in developing strategic long-range plans for a $120+ million budget, facilities, staffing and accomplishing strategic goals.

Minnesota - During his tenure at Minnesota, Benedict worked with the University of Minnesota Foundation to create a framework for the largest athletic campaign in history. He worked closely with the AD to create new strategic plan and master facility plan; played a key role in a highly successful search for a men's basketball coach; managed third party vendors with record results; and served as the athletics department's representative in contract negotiations of the Minnesota Vikings' facility use agreement, which generated a minimum of $6 million over a two-year period.

VCU - Among other highlights, Benedict directed a campaign to raise $3.5 million for a new club seating and suite project, raised $1.5 million in 36 hours to retain Head Basketball Coach Shaka Smart and developed a dynamic sales plan for the ticket sales staff, resulting in record sales in basketball and baseball.

Long Beach - Benedict was Senior Associate Athletic Director at Long Beach State University from 2007-2010. He administered all external areas of the department and directly supervised the baseball program and volunteer boards. While at Long Beach State, Benedict restructured the department's fundraising operation, initiated a $35 million capital campaign, closed a $5 million gift for a new team center, a $1.5 million naming gift for a new tennis facility and two other seven-figure gifts. Overall fundraising totals increased each year of his tenure.

ASU - Benedict was Associate Athletic Director of Development at Arizona State University from 1996 to 2006. During his time at ASU, Benedict raised $5 million for multiple facility renovations and expansions, solicited a $1 million matching contribution for the Annual Fund, implemented new annual giving programs and directed specialty fundraising campaigns.

Media Rights: He also successfully worked with stakeholders to streamline communications and operations related to sports marketing and promotions, television, media relations, ticketing, community outreach and sponsorships.

Bottomline: if there was still any slight sliver of doubt out there in Boneyardland or anywhere else that President Herbst isn't on top of this (and the best possible leader for UConn), this hire should just about seal those up. My goodness, this is a home run hire.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
From the Courant's story January 27, comparing UConn to Michigan:

AD Salary: Manuel was in the fourth year of a five-year contract at UConn with a base salary of $450,000 a year and academic and athletic performance incentives worth up to $100,000 more each year.

Benedict is basically getting Warde's deal plus the 50K retention bonus because he's a flight risk.

Reaction Score
Benedict was making $310,000 at Auburn.

" Jacobs’ pay has steadily risen since he started in 2005, from $407,300 to $648,700, and he has been able to hire some help. In January 2014, Jacobs created a chief operating officer position, a No. 2 to take over the department’s day-to-day operations.

For that job, Jacobs chose Benedict, whom he lured away from Minnesota athletics with a salary of $310,000."

http://www.bendbulletin.com/sports/3730517-153/why-wealthy-college-programs-operate-at-a-loss#

Reaction Score
From the Courant's story January 27, comparing UConn to Michigan:

AD Salary: Manuel was in the fourth year of a five-year contract at UConn with a base salary of $450,000 a year and academic and athletic performance incentives worth up to $100,000 more each year.

Benedict is basically getting Warde's deal plus the 50K retention bonus because he's a flight risk.

Makes sense. He's a little lower on the base salary since it's his first full-time AD gig, but the incentives are higher because he comes in with a lot of connections and the expectation is for him to deliver immediately.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
He's on twitter. @AUTigersCOO

Thanks Drew, just added and tweeted him my congratulatory/welcome 150 characters! :)

Reaction Score
Is there any audio-only stream to his presser? My work computer blocks Flash so I can't watch the video from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom