UConn selects new AD | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn selects new AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really liked Frazier as well. He has a back ground with D-1 hockey from his time at Minnesota as well. I have faith that Rachel Rubin and Susan Herbst made the right hire. Kind of also explains why Rubin wasn't at the UNH game the other night; they must have been conducting interviews.
Benedict was deputy AD at Minnestoa before going to Auburn. Plenty of exposure to D1 hockey.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Boom! This tells you everything you need to know:

"We sought a leader whose grasp of the national landscape and relentless pursuit of excellence would be second-to-none," UConn president Susan Herbst said. "I am very happy to say that we found exactly what we were looking for in David Benedict."

Reaction Score
This was quicker than anticipated (by me anyway) and I think takes the AD excuse out of the CR equation which is a good thing. Back to stability and moving forward and tomorrow is his first opportunity to promote our future and his.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's times like this I appreciate the university being run by an intelligent adult and not an adolescent internet poster.

This is another home run for Susan. You will note he was also a former deputy AD at Minnesota.

Reaction Score
WOW. What does this hire say...no...SCREAM?

FOOTBALL.

This hire screams football and I LOVE IT. Not to mention, this paragraph should tell us all we need to know...

Benedict led a feasibility study to make renovations to Auburn’s Jordan-Hare Stadium that initiated a $150-$180 million project. He negotiated a unique nine-year extension with Under Armour that included both product, cash and $10 million worth of stock. Benedict also is leading a search for a multi-media rights partner that looks to more than double Auburn’s current average guarantee.

Expanding the Rent? Check.

Upcoming Nike contract expiration? Check.

UConn's Tier 3 rights (if stuck in the AAC)? Check.

Football? Check check check check check!

I'd be lying to say I have heard of him prior to 5 minutes ago but hot damn, this is a bold...no...VERY BOLD move by President Herbst to strengthening up our only perceived P5 "weakness": football.

I love President Herbst.

As usual you hit the nail on the head.

What is the No. 1 knock against UConn in CR? It's our football program. It's too, young and isn't good enough.

So what does the administration do? Plucks our new AD from the most competitive football conference in the country. This is a clear signal to everyone that UConn football isn't going anywhere and we are committed to build it into a contender.

Reaction Score
Benedict was deputy AD at Minnestoa before going to Auburn. Plenty of exposure to D1 hockey.

Also, not for nothing, but why are people so concerned about Hockey?

If there were one UConn program that is set up for a promising future it's Hockey in Hockey East, unlike the rest of our programs that are hanging in limbo in The American right now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Best part is that if he ever leaves UConn fans have a ready made headline- Benedict Arnold.

Reaction Score
I am going to edit my post so it's clear...I was referring to Benedict about UM

Reaction Score
Also, not for nothing, but why are people so concerned about Hockey?

If there were one UConn program that is set up for a promising future it's Hockey in Hockey East, unlike the rest of our programs that are hanging in limbo in The American right now.
Because of the exact reason you state...if it's not taken care of properly it just drains money away from the other sports "hanging in limbo in The American right now".

Reaction Score
"It's very important to us he had experience with the best programs with the country," Herbst said. "He understands what makes a great program. He believes as all of do that we're at the level of the Power Five as far as sheer winning and championships. The winning we have done is fairly unusual and was compelling to our candidates."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ector-david-benedict-0301-20160229-story.html

Reaction Score
Posted my own thoughts on another thread, some, such as digging up his capital project experience have already been covered (thanks!).

New OK. of left field, so a surprise; but, after a quick review there is a lot of potential.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ector-david-benedict-0301-20160229-story.html
  • P4 experience: AZ St (PAC), U Minn (B1G) & Auburn (SEC ) - Check
  • Football Leadership: COO at Auburn, arguably a top 15 football program - Check
  • AD Experience: Ran the finances and vendor relationships (UA) at Auburn - Check
With respect to the elephant in the room, conference realignment, Hebrst was quoted by the Courant as follows:

"We sought a leader whose grasp of the national landscape and relentless pursuit of excellence would be second-to-none. I am very happy to say that we found exactly what we were looking for in David Benedict."

The note that he has a excellent 'grasp' of the 'national landscape' has conference realignment written all over it. Not to mention the fact that we have a P5 Associate AD moving to AD at a G5 conference. Most would view that as a step down. This guy does not seem to think so.

I do have two concerns. First, his is lack of experience working with a major basketball program as none of his stops (sorry VCU) are basketball powers and 2) lack of any connection to the Northeast so this may or may not be his final stop (his wife is a volunteer gymnastics coach at Auburn, then again, if he helps UConn into the P4, I'm all for starting a Husky gymnastics team).

One question that I have not had to time dig through the internet for is how much experience he has with athletic capital campaigns as UConn has a boatload of projects on the horizon - What to do with the XL relationship, possible new ice hockey rink, new soccer, baseball, and softball fields, 'moving' the field hockey and track field up, etc.​

Reaction Score
Because of the exact reason you state...if it's not taken care of properly it just drains money away from the other sports "hanging in limbo in The American right now".

I get the logic behind that, but I just don't see it playing out that way for a couple of reasons:

1) Hockey's travel budget is a fraction of the rest of our sports. Instead of trekking down to Texas and Florida multiple times a year, we are on a bus to Providence, Boston and Amherst.

2) Yes, we need to figure out the arena situation, but on the whole if our attendance figures in the first two years of Hockey East stay consistent we'll be able to recoup the expenses involved with a new arena in a about decade through gate revenue and merchandise (also if we can figure out away to monetize our broadcasting rights that would be huge too. Though I am not sure what the deal with Hockey East there is).

If it were football that was set up and Basketball and Hockey in an inferior conference, then yes, I would say it would be a real concern. However, the costs associated with running a successful hockey program in this small regional conference doesn't make it prohibitive to stay nimble and competitive as we look for a new home in Football and Basketball.

Reaction Score
I get the logic behind that, but I just don't see it playing out that way for a couple of reasons:

1) Hockey's travel budget is a fraction of the rest of our sports. Instead of trekking down to Texas and Florida multiple times a year, we are on a bus to Providence, Boston and Amherst.

2) Yes, we need to figure out the arena situation, but on the whole if our attendance figures in the first two years of Hockey East stay consistent we'll be able to recoup the expenses involved with a new arena in a about decade through gate revenue and merchandise (also if we can figure out away to monetize our broadcasting rights that would be huge too. Though I am not sure what the deal with Hockey East there is).

If it were football that was set up and Basketball and Hockey in an inferior conference, then yes, I would say it would be a real concern. However, the costs associated with running a successful hockey program in this small regional conference doesn't make it prohibitive to stay nimble and competitive as we look for a new home in Football and Basketball.
It's more about the 36 scholarships that it costs the athletic Dept (18 for the team, 18 for Title IX). Travel is definitely a non-issue like you mention. As for the new on-campus facility...that will fall into the facility upgrades paid for by the new ticket surcharge.

Reaction Score
I don't know enough about the hire to opine yet, but it seems solid. Even if you had a different favorite (like Frazier), it seems like the kind of pick people can get behind.

I took a quick look for an Auburn fan reaction. Very limited thread on 247, but generally wishing him luck and positive thoughts. There was a bigger thread on their Rivals board but it's premium.

Reaction Score
Posted my own thoughts on another thread, some, such as digging up his capital project experience have already been covered (thanks!).

New OK. of left field, so a surprise; but, after a quick review there is a lot of potential.

• Football Leadership: COO at Auburn, arguably a top 15 football program - Check
  • AD Experience: Ran the finances and vendor relationships (UA) at Auburn - Check
With respect to the elephant in the room, conference realignment, Hebrst was quoted by the Courant as follows:

"We sought a leader whose grasp of the national landscape and relentless pursuit of excellence would be second-to-none. I am very happy to say that we found exactly what we were looking for in David Benedict."

The note that he has a excellent 'grasp' of the 'national landscape' has conference realignment written all over it. Not to mention the fact that we have a P5 Associate AD moving to AD at a G5 conference. Most would view that as a step down. This guy does not seem to think so.

I do have two concerns. First, his is lack of experience working with a major basketball program as none of his stops (sorry VCU) are basketball powers and 2) lack of any connection to the Northeast so this may or may not be his final stop (his wife is a volunteer gymnastics coach at Auburn, then again, if he helps UConn into the P4, I'm all for starting a Husky gymnastics team).

One question that I have not had to time dig through the internet for is how much experience he has with athletic capital campaigns as UConn has a boatload of projects on the horizon - What to do with the XL relationship, possible new ice hockey rink, new soccer, baseball, and softball fields, 'moving' the field hockey and track field up, etc.​
His wife is originally from Cheektowaga NY and is in the Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame....It's a bit of a reach but I'd say that qualifies as a Northeast tie.

Reaction Score

PS - Took a look at the local Auburn newspaper, and Auburn's Ad was quoted as follows:

“An opportunity as significant as the director of athletics at UConn was something David couldn’t pass up,” Jacobs said in a statement. “David has a breadth of experience and a track record of success that will serve him well in his new position. I thank David for all he has done for Auburn Athletics and wish him, his wife Lisa, and their two sons all the best with their exciting move to Connecticut.”

'An opportunity as significant as the director of Athletics at UConn was something that David couldn't pass up.' Auburn's AD does not see UConn as a step down either and judging from the local fan responses, they are not happy he is leaving.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Posted this in the MBB thread as well, nice quotes here.

Some quotes with some very positive feedback on the hire from those he worked with, as well as Duke and TCU athletic directors. Starting to like the hire a lot the more I read, well done SH.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/genrel/022916aad.html
What They Are Saying About David Benedict

Feb. 29, 2016
Jay Jacobs, Director of Athletics, Auburn University

"I want to congratulate David and the University of Connecticut on this announcement. David is an extremely talented administrator who brings a wealth of experience from Auburn and elsewhere to the job. He helped us tremendously during his time at Auburn, and we are better for it. David is a great leader but an even better person. I'm happy for him and his family, and I know UConn will be in capable hands."

Dr. Kevin White, Vice President and Director of Athletics, Duke University
"Without question, David Benedict is just an outstanding hire! UConn has made a brilliant leadership acquisition, for David clearly represents an emerging 'pinnacle player' within college athletics! David is incredibly well experienced, and will unequivocally 'over deliver' in each and every dimension of his responsibilities. To that end, in particular, David's unique ability to build both highly valued and sustainable relationships internally as well as externally will serve the Huskies exceedingly well. Finally, there is absolutely no one that is more in touch with the needs, interests, and welfare issues that surround the modern day student athlete than David Benedict."

Chris Del Conte, Director of Athletics, TCU
"Congratulations to the University of Connecticut on hitting a home run with its hire of David Benedict! He will be a perfect fit for the Huskies and Storrs. I have known David for quite some time and he's a winner! He has been in leadership capacities at several of the top Universities in the country and will draw upon those vast experiences. David will serve UConn and its constituents in a first-class manner. I'm very excited for him."

Gus Malzahn, Head Football Coach, Auburn University
"David is a true professional, a natural leader and an outstanding administrator. I've enjoyed working with him during the last two years and I know that UConn is fortunate to have David leading its department moving forward. We wish him and his family nothing but the best."

Shaka Smart, Head Men's Basketball Coach, University of Texas
"David Benedict is a tremendous communicator who understands what goes into winning. He will be intensely dedicated to UConn's student-athletes and coaches and help that athletics program continue to thrive."

Reaction Score
It's more about the 36 scholarships that it costs the athletic Dept (18 for the team, 18 for Title IX). Travel is definitely a non-issue like you mention. As for the new on-campus facility...that will fall into the facility upgrades paid for by the new ticket surcharge.

To your earlier point I would be sweating more if I were Men's X-Country, Tennis or Golf.

Reaction Score
Posted this in the MBB thread as well, nice quotes here.

Some quotes with some very positive feedback on the hire from those he worked with, as well as Duke and TCU athletic directors. Starting to like the hire a lot the more I read, well done SH.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/genrel/022916aad.html
What They Are Saying About David Benedict

Feb. 29, 2016
Jay Jacobs, Director of Athletics, Auburn University

"I want to congratulate David and the University of Connecticut on this announcement. David is an extremely talented administrator who brings a wealth of experience from Auburn and elsewhere to the job. He helped us tremendously during his time at Auburn, and we are better for it. David is a great leader but an even better person. I'm happy for him and his family, and I know UConn will be in capable hands."

Dr. Kevin White, Vice President and Director of Athletics, Duke University
"Without question, David Benedict is just an outstanding hire! UConn has made a brilliant leadership acquisition, for David clearly represents an emerging 'pinnacle player' within college athletics! David is incredibly well experienced, and will unequivocally 'over deliver' in each and every dimension of his responsibilities. To that end, in particular, David's unique ability to build both highly valued and sustainable relationships internally as well as externally will serve the Huskies exceedingly well. Finally, there is absolutely no one that is more in touch with the needs, interests, and welfare issues that surround the modern day student athlete than David Benedict."

Chris Del Conte, Director of Athletics, TCU
"Congratulations to the University of Connecticut on hitting a home run with its hire of David Benedict! He will be a perfect fit for the Huskies and Storrs. I have known David for quite some time and he's a winner! He has been in leadership capacities at several of the top Universities in the country and will draw upon those vast experiences. David will serve UConn and its constituents in a first-class manner. I'm very excited for him."

Gus Malzahn, Head Football Coach, Auburn University
"David is a true professional, a natural leader and an outstanding administrator. I've enjoyed working with him during the last two years and I know that UConn is fortunate to have David leading its department moving forward. We wish him and his family nothing but the best."

Shaka Smart, Head Men's Basketball Coach, University of Texas
"David Benedict is a tremendous communicator who understands what goes into winning. He will be intensely dedicated to UConn's student-athletes and coaches and help that athletics program continue to thrive."

The Del Conte quote and connection is huge. He's a guy that values personal relationships, it's what got TCU into the Big East (through Pitt) and ultimately into the Big 12 (through Texas).

Reaction Score
Big-time fundraising, negotiating, fiscal operations, facilities enhancement ... BOOM!

"Benedict has already made his mark at Auburn. He led a feasibility study for planned renovations to the North end zone at Jordan-Hare Stadium. He coordinated the department's investment and development of a new $14 million <my EDIT: absol-friggin massive> video board and sound system and other improvements at the stadium. Among other highlights, Benedict coordinated a five-year strategic plan for the department, directed efforts to develop a Master Facility Plan and facilitated a change in the budget process that resulted in the reduction of over $1 million in annual expenses. Serving as sports administrator for Auburn men's basketball, Benedict assisted Jacobs in the national search that landed Head Coach Bruce Pearl. Benedict also provides ongoing support for Auburn football."

"... at Minnesota, Benedict worked with the University of Minnesota Foundation to create a framework for the largest athletic campaign in history. He worked closely with the AD to create new strategic plan and master facility plan; played a key role in a highly successful search for a men's basketball coach; managed third party vendors with record results; and served as the athletics department's representative in contract negotiations of the Minnesota Vikings' facility use agreement, which generated a minimum of $6 million over a two-year period."

"Benedict played a key role in VCU's successful transition to the Atlantic 10 for all sports in 2012-2013.
While Benedict was at VCU, the department increased annual giving, total number of donors, ticket sales and sponsorship revenues each year of his tenure. Among other highlights, Benedict directed a campaign to raise $3.5 million for a new club seating and suite project, raised $1.5 million in 36 hours to retain Head Basketball Coach Shaka Smart and developed a dynamic sales plan for the ticket sales staff, resulting in record sales in basketball and baseball.
"

"While at Long Beach State, Benedict restructured the department's fundraising operation, initiated a $35 million capital campaign, closed a $5 million gift for a new team center, a $1.5 million naming gift for a new tennis facility and two other seven-figure gifts. Overall fundraising totals increased each year of his tenure."

"... at ASU (Arizona State), Benedict raised $5 million for multiple facility renovations and expansions, solicited a $1 million matching contribution for the Annual Fund, implemented new annual giving programs and directed specialty fundraising campaigns. He also successfully worked with stakeholders to streamline communications and operations related to sports marketing and promotions, television, media relations, ticketing, community outreach and sponsorships."

Reaction Score
Finally made thew news on ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...n-hires-auburn-benedict-new-athletic-director

I found this statement interesting.

"Mike Aresco, the commissioner of the AAC, learned of the announcement while attending UConn's women's basketball game against South Florida on Monday night. He said he does not know Benedict, but is good friends with Jacobs and trusts his endorsement."
And this statement from ESPN make me want to punch a wall. Like it was solely Herbst & Warde's fault for not being able to get out of the AAC?

"One of Benedict's biggest challenges at UConn will be working on the school's future conference affiliations. Manuel and Herbst were not able to secure an invitation to join one of the Power Five conferences, leaving most of its teams mired in the much lower revenue-producing American Athletic Conference after the breakup of the old Big East."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom