UConn President: Fall sports likely to be cancelled | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn President: Fall sports likely to be cancelled

Reaction Score
Basketball is a winter sport, correct? And the big question is, would they allow sports to be played if students aren’t even on campus?

Reaction Score
These people are going crazy. Take it weeks in the future, not months. How many more besides me will lose their jobs with these overreactions? Everything I've read shows deaths in CT will end by 6/1. Why cancel Fall? It makes no sense. At some point, we need to live. Outdoor sports can easily social distance.

Reaction Score
It occurs to me that many on this board are acting as if talking about the possibility of sports seasons being canceled increases the likelihood of it happening. To be clear, I mean talking about it amongst ourselves on the Boneyard, not school officials talking about it publicly.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
These people are going crazy. Take it weeks in the future, not months. How many more besides me will lose their jobs with these overreactions? Everything I've read shows deaths in CT will end by 6/1. Why cancel Fall? It makes no sense. At some point, we need to live. Outdoor sports can easily social distance.

Gone for good by 6/1? You need to read from more accurate sources then.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I get all the people saying we need to wait, but this decision is going to be made a lot sooner than everyone here is suggesting. You can't wait until July or August to make this decision

Right but you don't need to bring up those plans publicly right now.

Reaction Score
Is this really a big surprise? Does anybody think that in 120 days time we are going to have kids staying in dorms? The wave in the fall is increasingly looking worse than this one.

Reaction Score
Thats his job. It’s every leaders job.
He wasn’t predicting, he was reporting.
Sorry to disagree. Reporting is supposedly stating the facts. He was speculating. Anyone in the public eye ( other than politicians) has to be sensitive in sticking to the facts rather than guessing which is what he did.
I would submit that every model that the “experts” have published has been wrong by significant amounts. We really don't know.
let me speculate. As I type this I see on tv, a model that says this peaks within the next week. I also read of testing individuals daily. Ok. How about a scenario that every player, coach and ref is tested daily. No fans, but the games are televised. The colleges rake in significant broadcasting revenues and cut their losses.
we have to start looking at The economic future of our state and country. Our politicians love to give away other people’s money ( please re read The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire). A trillion$ here and a trillion $ there can drive us into a depression.
I’m not saying we should go out in crowds right now. I am saying we can’t ignore the economic facts. There must be some balance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry to disagree. Reporting is supposedly stating the facts. He was speculating. Anyone in the public eye has to be sensitive in sticking to the facts rather than guessing which is what he did.
I would submit that every model that the “experts” have published has been wrong by significant amounts. We really don't know.

I believe Fauci estimated 40k-150k deaths in the US. We are currently north of 40k. If he is wrong by a significant amount it will be pretty bad news. Let’s hope he’s right.

Reaction Score

Let’s hope we are the lucky ones standing after 6/1

Reaction Score

Heartbreaking...

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

So, his clarification says "current thinking" and then goes on to say this isn't based on inside information or based on any discussions.

So, what did he base his "current thinking" on for his comments? Given his back track it's pretty close to him literally only being able to talk to himself about the situation. Just an awkward backtrack. Which is entirely normal.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
There will be no mass gatherings until there is a vaccine. We will start seeing incremental returns to normalcy over the summer as far as jobs and stores go using safe distance practices, but Sports, Concerts, Theater, conventions, is a whole different matter. Will there be a vaccine by the fall? Nobody knows and we can all hope, but I think it is doubtful that there is a vaccine before the end of the year.

Until then we simply cant afford the risk of putting 10,000 people in Gampel for a hoops game. Forget putting 100,000 into a University of Michigan foootball game.

It sucks but here we are. Ive resigned myself to no hoops this year. I really dont think college campuses will be open. No college? No hoops.

This virus will not just go away. Ever. Until a vaccine.

Reaction Score
So, his clarification says "current thinking" and then goes on to say this isn't based on inside information or based on any discussions.

So, what did he base his "current thinking" on for his comments? Given his back track it's pretty close to him literally only being able to talk to himself about the situation. Just an awkward backtrack. Which is entirely normal.
I took that quote to just be for the sake of all the other college presidents/NCAA who didn't make semi-public comments. The conversations are obviously happening, we know they're talking about whether campuses will open in the fall already

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I took that quote to just be for the sake of all the other college presidents/NCAA who didn't make semi-public comments. The conversations are obviously happening, we know they're talking about whether campuses will open in the fall already

You're hitting on the unspoken part of my comment. His statement was BS and a lie.

Reaction Score
There will be no mass gatherings until there is a vaccine. We will start seeing incremental returns to normalcy over the summer as far as jobs and stores go using safe distance practices, but Sports, Concerts, Theater, conventions, is a whole different matter. Will there be a vaccine by the fall? Nobody knows and we can all hope, but I think it is doubtful that there is a vaccine before the end of the year.

Until then we simply cant afford the risk of putting 10,000 people in Gampel for a hoops game. Forget putting 100,000 into a University of Michigan foootball game.

It sucks but here we are. Ive resigned myself to no hoops this year. I really dont think college campuses will be open. No college? No hoops.

This virus will not just go away. Ever. Until a vaccine.
Vaccine by the fall? We don't know if there will ever be a vaccine.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
How can football players practice social distancing? They're on top of each other on literally every play. What about travel? Flying on a plane across the country breathing in recirculated air isn't exactly conducive to not spreading a virus.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
If you are going to be quarantined, I can think of worse people to be stuck with than Maria Sharapova.
Sharapova has immunity from Covid because of all the meldonium she ingested to become a better tennis player.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Vaccine by the fall? We don't know if there will ever be a vaccine.

There will be eventually.

But I think its going to be quite a while.

I just find it mind blowing that people are holding out hope for a hoops season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom