UConn President: Fall sports likely to be cancelled | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn President: Fall sports likely to be cancelled

Reaction Score

A good article for those saying thinking about reopening the economy is selfish when lives are at risk. Keeping the economy closed will ruin just as many, and likely even more lives than the virus. I feel it’s a factual and largely non-biased article.

Reaction Score
No country in the world can prepare a safety net for tens of millions of its citizens to be unemployed for several months on end. Let’s be realistic here. As of today, about 22 million Americans have lost their jobs due to the virus. You think we should have had a safety net in place to care for all these people? Not possible. The stimulus packages we’ve seen have already totaled more than the government brings in tax revenue for an entire year. It’s not possible to fully prepare for an event like this. You can be more or less prepared, but no government can be prepared for THIS.

Sorry if I misunderstood. I think with social distancing we might see close to net zero new cases by the end of summer. Football I think we can count out for fans attending. Maybe the players can play in empty stadiums but no fans. But basketball is still almost 7 months away. That’s a lot of time. You never know.

It just depends on what a govt is prepared to do.

If you already prepared as Denmark did to pay 80% of all salaries to businesses who don't fire an employee, you preserve your economy.

& of course Europeans outside the tourist sector are already well known for taking those 6 week summer vacations.

It can be done. We didn't choose to do it, but it is possible.

Bost4

Mr. to you...
Reaction Score
Why even bring it up in mid April? It’s sensationalism and fear mongering at this point, even if it turns out to be true. Almost every data point has grossly over estimated the impact of the virus, with social distancing incorporated. Why continue to act like we know how things are going to play out 5 months from now? It’s infuriating.
Do you understand these estimations would have, in fact, happened had quarantine orders not been put in place?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Boomers gonna boom. Omg my entertainment?!?! How am I going to live when these amateur athletes don’t put their lives on the line to entertain me. Mind you, it’s very likely almost certain at this point that college doesn’t go back in the fall.

Reaction Score
Anyone here have friends or family members in the who are doctors or nurses.

Even with the social distancing it's a disaster. The Covid death rates are not really telling the full picture, as there were way more deaths in March--even when you subtract Covid deaths--than in a typical March. All across the world. That's because of our overburdened hospitals killing people who have other problems.

Again, that's with social distancing.

Reaction Score
There are going to be a lot fewer smaller locally owned places and that's a shame, maybe not if you are in an area where the big chains are the dominant option, but here in the Northeast the smaller local place is our bread and butter.
The fed gov't is using Covid to fund big business to buy out small business. I called it from day one. They just passed another round of stimulus to fund big business to gobble up small business all under the guise of saving mom and pops. It's disgusting what they're doing. This is an unpecedented transfer of wealth.

Reaction Score
It just depends on what a govt is prepared to do.

If you already prepared as Denmark did to pay 80% of all salaries to businesses who don't fire an employee, you preserve your economy.

& of course Europeans outside the tourist sector are already well known for taking those 6 week summer vacations.

It can be done. We didn't choose to do it, but it is possible.

My argument is that no government can prepare for what we are seeing. Some will have better courses of action and reactions to it, but no government can plan for 20-25% of its workforce to be out of a job all within a month or two.

polycom

Reaction Score

Even with the social distancing it's a disaster. The Covid death rates are not really telling the full picture, as there were way more deaths in March--even when you subtract Covid deaths--than in a typical March. All across the world. That's because of our overburdened hospitals killing people who have other problems.

My wife.

Reaction Score
The fed gov't is using Covid to fund big business to buy out small business. I called it from day one. They just passed another round of stimulus to fund big business to gobble up small business all under the guise of saving mom and pops. It's disgusting what they're doing. This is an unpecedented transfer of wealth.
Watch how many small oil companies go out of business this week/ next week as banks start making calls on the futures they bought and just got buried

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The bailout is staggering. The key is to eliminate pork from being worked into the bill.

I'm not a fan of the whole "we have to pass the bill to know what's in it" school of thought. There is too much potential for mistakes. I agree that there should be more stringent caps on who is entitled to money targeted for small business.

Take the reports of abuse with a grain of salt. There was a report that Harvard received money targeted for small business, when they actually received money targeted toward higher education.

Reaction Score
The bailout is staggering. The key is to eliminate pork from being worked into the bill.

I'm not a fan of the whole "we have to pass the bill to know what's in it" school of thought. There is too much potential for mistakes. I agree that there should be more stringent caps on who is entitled to money targeted for small business.

Take the reports of abuse with a grain of salt. There was a report that Harvard received money targeted for small business, when they actually received money targeted toward higher education.
Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford etc. all got our money just like big business is getting our money instead of small business. Everyone knows Yale and Ruth's Chris are very different types of entities and the funding comes from different provisions in the bill and is paid out of diffent departments of the fed gov't. That's irrelevant...What's relevant is Congress has picked winners and losers with our money and they chose institutions who have more money than most countries and publicly traded companies with hundreds of locations over mom and pops.

Reaction Score

March death totals barely incorporate social distancing. Since death totals are a lagging indicator and significant social distancing measures weren't broadly implemented in the US until the last week of March (if at all), March death totals largely reflect no social distancing measures.

Reaction Score
define "opening back up"
Lifting lockdowns somewhat soon. We were told the lockdown was to help our health system to hold up, it's going to hold up from what I've heard. Once cases are dropping from their leveling off we have to open businesses back up and open up the economy.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Lifting lockdowns somewhat soon. We were told the lockdown was to help our health system to hold up, it's going to hold up from what I've heard. Once cases are dropping from their leveling off we have to open businesses back up and open up the economy.
That doesn’t include mass gatherings though, does it?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford etc. all got our money just like big business is getting our money instead of small business. Everyone knows Yale and Ruth's Chris are very different types of entities and the funding comes from different provisions in the bill and is paid out of diffent departments of the fed gov't. That's irrelevant...What's relevant is Congress has picked winners and losers with our money and they chose institutions who have more money than most countries and publicly traded companies with hundreds of locations over mom and pops.
Mmm, don't want to talk politics and push this thread to the Cesspool so this will be last reply. If you want to talk about it more start a Cesspool thread and tag me. I'll weigh in.

No, schools got money to support students (50%) and defer COVID costs. That was a deliberate decision. After the presidents comments comments Harvard agree to use 100% of the funds it rightfully got for students. Students =/= big business.

I'd suggest that Congress didn't "pick winners and losers" this go round. They seem to be passing (mostly) well intended legislation in a reactionary way. That is a recipe for mistakes.

Reaction Score
Mmm, don't want to talk politics and push this thread to the Cesspool so this will be last reply. If you want to talk about it more start a Cesspool thread and tag me. I'll weigh in.

No, schools got money to support students (50%) and defer COVID costs. That was a deliberate decision. After the presidents comments comments Harvard agree to use 100% of the funds it rightfully got for students. Students =/= big business.

I'd suggest that Congress didn't "pick winners and losers" this go round. They seem to be passing (mostly) well intended legislation in a reactionary way. That is a recipe for mistakes.
They depend on this kind of naivety. Repubs and Dems are all in on it. They think we're naive/stupid enough to think it's some sort of mistake and they want us to believe they're just dumb and well meaning. They just passed another round of stimulus for big business under the guise of saving small business so your well intended thing doesn't hold up at all. You're a smart guy, I know you really know what's going on.

As for the Universities stimulus, it's a sham. Giving our money to Universities who have endowments in the 10's of billions of dollars is a slap in the face. The idea our money should be funding scholarships instead of coming out of their money reserves is ludicrous.

Take it to the cesspool if you would like.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My argument is that no government can prepare for what we are seeing. Some will have better courses of action and reactions to it, but no government can plan for 20-25% of its workforce to be out of a job all within a month or two.

I just gave you examples of gov'ts that have done it. You can totally support your businesses and workers as Denmark did. There are no firings there. Or you can go the max testing route like South Korea has.

Reaction Score
They depend on this kind of naivety. Repubs and Dems are all in on it. They think we're naive/stupid enough to think it's some sort of mistake and they want us to believe they're just dumb and well meaning. They just passed another round of stimulus for big business under the guise of saving small business so your well intended thing doesn't hold up at all. You're a smart guy, I know you really know what's going on.

As for the Universities stimulus, it's a sham. Giving our money to Universities who have endowments in the 10's of billions of dollars is a slap in the face. The idea our money should be funding scholarships instead of coming out of their money reserves is ludicrous.

Take it to the cesspool if you would like.

The money Harvard got is related to government research.

It has nothing to do with everyday operations.

Schools are clamoring for help right now, but it's not been addressed in any of the bills yet, because none of the bills have topped up local and state governments.

The budget forecast in new York is for a cut in half (50%) of state funding for higher education.

Be prepared for a huge increase in tuition costs in NY state.

Reaction Score
That doesn’t include mass gatherings though, does it?
No, not right away. I'm not convinced we have a vaccine any time soon. There's no way I think we can wait around 12-18 months, 3 years or whatever it takes before we have mass gatherings again. Coronaviruses have been around for like 60 years and we've never had a vaccine. With all the money and science behind it we'll have better treatments soon and probably a partial vaccine at some point.

From everything I've read I also think this virus is far less deadly than we originally thought. I've taken the lockdown more seriously than most but I won't have any fear of returning to restaurants and bars fairly soon, I'll just wash my hands more.

Reaction Score
I just gave you examples of gov'ts that have done it. You can totally support your businesses and workers as Denmark did. There are no firings there. Or you can go the max testing route like South Korea has.

Correct. Denmark and South Korea reacted very well to this outbreak. But what I’m saying is that no country could have been prepared for this. Sure, some have reacted very well. But there’s no way we could’ve had a safety net in place for an event like this. What we are doing is injecting trillions and trillions of dollars into the economy, to businesses, and towards unemployment. We are doing a lot whether it looks like it at the surface or not. These trillions go straight to the national debt, which WILL be our downfall one day. We can’t just keep injecting more and more money without consequences, keep that in mind.

Reaction Score
No, not right away. I'm not convinced we have a vaccine any time soon. There's no way I think we can wait around 12-18 months, 3 years or whatever it takes before we have mass gatherings again. Coronaviruses have been around for like 60 years and we've never had a vaccine. With all the money and science behind it we'll have better treatments soon and probably a partial vaccine at some point.

From everything I've read I also think this virus is far less deadly than we originally thought. I've taken the lockdown more seriously than most but I won't have any fear of returning to restaurants and bars fairly soon, I'll just wash my hands more.

You seem spot on regarding this virus. Just figured I’d bring some positivity to this thread and let you know :D

polycom

Reaction Score

Less deadly in what context? People killed or the chance that you'll die if you get it? Because social distancing prevented the first one and the second one is basically impossible to know...

polycom

Reaction Score
Also, to the smooth brains who think colleges are going to figure out how to play but pro sports can't figure it out are delusional, figured I'd called that out explicitly since you may have missed it in my first post.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom