UConn President: Fall sports likely to be cancelled | The Boneyard

UConn President: Fall sports likely to be cancelled

Reaction Score
1587498134080.png

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I hope this does not hurt us with with the kids who are considering coming here for next season, saying “well we don’t know if Uconn will even have a season”. Bill Gates needs to hurry up.

Reaction Score
Idiotic to project this now for fall when only mid April. What possible purpose wud that serve to call fall sports now? The spring semester is only halfway thru. Cmon now

Reaction Score
I understand wanting to be safe, but why make a call on sports beginning in September now? A LOT can happen and change in 5 months.

He isn't making the call. He was in a journalism class and someone asked him a question. It's just his opinion, not a statement of fact. I personally do not think football will be happening the fall, but this was not him making that declaration.

Reaction Score
They're not canceled. He said it's likely, but no decision has been made.
He isn't making the call. He was in a journalism class and someone asked him a question. It's just his opinion, not a statement of fact. I personally do not think football will be happening the fall, but this was not him making that declaration.

Thanks for clarifying. So, why even attempt to make a call now? Again, I’m all for being safe. If nothing has improved by September, cancel the sports. But I think it’d be more fair to say they will continue to monitor the situation and make an educated decision when the time is right.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
"with the exception of those that can be played at a safe distance"

What fall sports are those?

Reaction Score
Thanks for clarifying. So, why even attempt to make a call now? Again, I’m all for being safe. If nothing has improved by September, cancel the sports. But I think it’d be more fair to say they will continue to monitor the situation and make an educated decision when the time is right.
Eh, I don't mind the transparency of the administrations current thought process regarding corona.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
dont think the implication is only UConn would cancel its fall sports...
Auburn and Nebraska won’t be cancelling any of their sports seasons.

Reaction Score

He's not making the call. He's obviously having conversations with the AD, NCAA, other university presidents and giving his current opinion of where things are headed. Doesn't mean that can't change tomorrow. The original tweet while accurate, probably doesn't need the qualifier of "breaking news" since nothing has actually been decided and nor will it be decided by one university president.

It is going to come down to what elected lawmakers, NCAA, and university presidents agree on. But because of the "breaking news" element attachment, it gives it more meaning than it really has. If we were in the room and heard this in the full context of the classroom, everyone would not think much of it.

Reaction Score
I hope this does not hurt us with with the kids who are considering coming here for next season, saying “well we don’t know if Uconn will even have a season”. Bill Gates needs to hurry up.
UConn isn't going to cancel school/sports if everyone else doesn't.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom