UConn President: Fall sports likely to be cancelled | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn President: Fall sports likely to be cancelled

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Would those of you complaining it's too early to make that call prefer he do nothing until August and then be caught unprepared? You've got to plan for the worst. If the sports happen then we're already all set.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
What reasons does he think?

He said things are getting out of control because the President made a comment about fall sports potentially getting canceled. At least that's how his post read.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Several schools have already started discussing the possibility that distance learning may have to continue through the fall semester. I believe BC was among the first a few weeks ago; and I know from my daughters' friends who go to UConn that it has been discussed among some of the classes there.

The P5 commissioners who spoke with Pence a couple weeks ago told him that there would be no college sports without students first returning to campus.

No one wants this strange time to continue, but anyone who is surprised by this possibility hasn't been paying attention.

Reaction Score
“If there’s no college football this fall, there’s very little likelihood there will be any other sports because 85% of revenue derived in college athletics comes from the sport of football,” MWC commissioner Craig Thompson said in a video released by the league on Monday.

No football could spell trouble for other sports in MWC

I'll bet most, if not all, G5 leagues follow suit.

Reaction Score
He said things are getting out of control because the President made a comment about fall sports potentially getting canceled. At least that's how his post read.
I didn't really understand your response.

What did you mean by that?

Reaction Score
He's not making the call. He's obviously having conversations with the AD, NCAA, other university presidents and giving his current opinion of where things are headed. Doesn't mean that can't change tomorrow. The original tweet while accurate, probably doesn't need the qualifier of "breaking news" since nothing has actually been decided and nor will it be decided by one university president.

It is going to come down to what elected lawmakers, NCAA, and university presidents agree on. But because of the "breaking news" element attachment, it gives it more meaning than it really has. If we were in the room and heard this in the full context of the classroom, everyone would not think much of it.

Most of what you’re saying is correct. I just don’t understand how anyone can form an opinion on fall sports when “experts” literally can’t even predict what will happen next week. I think it’s premature to give any indication on the status of fall sports right now. Big fan of yours btw:D

Reaction Score
Several schools have already started discussing the possibility that distance learning may have to continue through the fall semester. I believe BC was among the first a few weeks ago; and I know from my daughters' friends who go to UConn that it has been discussed among some of the classes there.

The P5 commissioners who spoke with Pence a couple weeks ago told him that there would be no college sports without students first returning to campus.

No one wants this strange time to continue, but anyone who is surprised by this possibility hasn't been paying attention.
A report from BU is what you're thinking of, which was widely misreported. This is the original BU report that got picked up nationally: University Outlines COVID-19 Recovery Plan

BU, like nearly every other college in the world, is planning for potential outcomes. One of those is the possibility that students can't return to campus in the fall. From a few people I know who work for various colleges, these schools will do everything in their power to open campus this fall. They depend on the room and board/tuition revenue. Moving a full semester online removed the room and board $ in full and likely would mean a forced reduction in tuition cost because of the depleted education experience in some fields.

This is before the consideration that some areas of study literally cannot take place online. You can't conduct hands-on science and engineering labs on the internet from your couch. There'd be significant detriment to students' educational progression to not be on campus this fall. I'm not saying it won't happen, but that they're going to try everything they can before calling it off.

Reaction Score
Even making the statement that it will be cancelled in the fall is reckless and gets student athletes, thier parents, the public and everyone else fired up and nervous. And no , I don’t think they should wait till late August to make a decision but let’s at least get through the first part of the summer -let’s see how things look on July 4th - we’re still 2 1/2 months away from there!!! For the 20th time it’s only the middle of April!!! Like my boy Aaron Rodgers said everybody “R E L A X” - stay at home and practice the protocols. Jesus

Curiouser
Reaction Score
A report from BU is what you're thinking of, which was widely misreported. This is the original BU report that got picked up nationally: University Outlines COVID-19 Recovery Plan

BU, like nearly every other college in the world, is planning for potential outcomes. One of those is the possibility that students can't return to campus in the fall. From a few people I know who work for various colleges, these schools will do everything in their power to open campus this fall. They depend on the room and board/tuition revenue. Moving a full semester online removed the room and board $ in full and likely would mean a forced reduction in tuition cost because of the depleted education experience in some fields.

This is before the consideration that some areas of study literally cannot take place online. You can't conduct hands-on science and engineering labs on the internet from your couch. There'd be significant detriment to students' educational progression to not be on campus this fall. I'm not saying it won't happen, but that they're going to try everything they can before calling it off.
You're right, it was BU. Yes, I understand it's just a potential plan, but even as of this from yesterday it doesn't sound like it was misreported:

Reaction Score
Thinking a lot of people should have been in that class to learn about reading comprehension
I’m sorry to read this. A person in his highly visible position should be more careful In trying to predict things 4 months away.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Listening into CCMC townhall the state is projecting 0 daily deaths by 5/24 which likely means no new case within the coming weeks.

everyone is speculating a fall wave but that remains to be seen.

Reaction Score
If the consideration of this comes as a shock to you, you clearly haven't been following the news that much. Anything is on the table right now, and as things stand currently, it's hard to imagine NCAA sports happening on September 1.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry to read this. A person in his highly visible position should be more careful In trying to predict things 4 months away.
You, like many people, appear to have issue with how the original tweet was phrased over his actual comments. He wasn't making any calls 4 months in advance

Reaction Score
Most of what you’re saying is correct. I just don’t understand how anyone can form an opinion on fall sports when “experts” literally can’t even predict what will happen next week. I think it’s premature to give any indication on the status of fall sports right now. Big fan of yours btw:D

Thanks. I have never worked in an athletic department, but I see like this working backwards: season starts in August, training camp starts over the summer (someone who better understands correct me if I'm wrong???), and many kids are on campus in the spring lifting and learning the playbook/taking classes over the summer.

I do not know what would be a reasonable timeframe to get college kids ready for a football season, but it starts way before August and so the call needs to be made months in advance of whatever the day is (let's call it July 1, but my uneducated guess is earlier).

On top of that, others have noted that if kids are not back on campus, games will not be played. So it's a similar working backwards approach. School starts in August, universities need to be prepared to pivot to online or adjust and make preparations to be on campus well in advance. I do not know what that timing is but they can't make the call in June or July, it probably needs to happen earlier (these are massive institutions that can just flip a switch overnight to make things happen). They made the pivot quickly in March to online, but now as we are talking long term, this is now really putting pressure on finances so schools need to make decisions to retain or furlough faculty, university personnel in advance.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Even making the statement that it will be cancelled in the fall is reckless and gets student athletes, thier parents, the public and everyone else fired up and nervous. And no , I don’t think they should wait till late August to make a decision but let’s at least get through the first part of the summer -let’s see how things look on July 4th - we’re still 2 1/2 months away from there!!! For the 20th time it’s only the middle of April!!! Like my boy Aaron Rodgers said everybody “R E L A X” - stay at home and practice the protocols. Jesus
Who made that statement?

It was addressed as a possibility, which is what the people in administrations are paid to plan for. Not planning for that possibility would be reckless.

Reaction Score
Who made that statement?

It was addressed as a possibility, which is what the people in administrations are paid to plan for. Not planning for that possibility would be reckless.
UCTV quoted him as saying fall sports "likely will be cancelled." Probably not the best to make that kind of initial statement to a random class, much less without loads of context.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I think fans should be emotionally preparing themselves for the non-zero possibility of fall sports getting cancelled.

Unless of course you’re some “DONT TREAD ON ME” fanatic in which case you can probably get ready to suit up and get on the court/field yourself in a few months.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom