UConn President: Fall sports likely to be cancelled | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn President: Fall sports likely to be cancelled

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It has my respiratory discharge on it. You sure?

Well played. In all seriousness, we have been so far behind the curve with respect to testing that I have little faith in a scheme emerging before it's too late.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What's the alternative though? Not getting a degree? Postponing getting a degree for a year or two and postponing making money for another year or two?

Our young people already have it bad enough before this, it seems we're just burdening their futures so much more. And having the different generations under the same roof for another year doesn't seem like a good health strategy.
There are no great answers, but I think a lot of people would just choose to take online courses for a year from a place like ASU that has been doing it for a long time and for a lot less money.

I've got two kids in this situation. One will be a senior and the other will be a freshman. I don't think we'll have an alternative for the senior because she's already committed to a year lease (guaranteed by yours truly) for some swanky off-campus apartment and the courses she needs to graduate at this point are not ones for which she would be likely to find online substitutes elsewhere. The one who will be a freshman is currently on a gap year and was working in DC in the school system, and she has been home since they've been closed in mid-March. We all realize that it would be better for her and for us for her not to be living at home next school year, but we're trying to figure out what her deal would be at college and whether that is worth it as compared to taking online courses somewhere else.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Well played. In all seriousness, we have been so far behind the curve with respect to testing that I have little faith in a scheme emerging before it's too late.
Thank you for playing along. I think respiratory discharge may be the nastiest pair of words ive ever typed in tandem. There’s been a #uptick in testing. I think at this point anyone get tested with an appointment. Tests are becoming quicker and less cumbersome to deliver and yield results. It may require bi-weekly testing for students/faculty. Production of testing would absolutely have to increase obviously but these needs to be a top priority.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Thank you for playing along. I think respiratory discharge may be the nastiest pair of words ive ever typed in tandem. There’s been a #uptick in testing. I think at this point anyone get tested with an appointment. Tests are becoming quicker and less cumbersome to deliver and yield results. It may require bi-weekly testing for students/faculty. Production of testing would absolutely have to increase obviously but these needs to be a top priority.

That's really good to hear. From what little I've read, we still have a long ways to go before it's ramped up to the level of places like Steven Krajewski/NZ which are actually able to look at opening up now. I'm still not convinced that federal and state officials get how urgent testing is. The statewide reopening plans I've seen across both sides of the aisle don't seem to emphasize it that much.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
This is leaving inner city kids (mostly black and brown) so much further behind than they already were.
It is, I absolutely agree. That's why we need a concurrent fast forward on ideas that were, until now, considered progressive. Now they're essential.

Internet is an essential utility. UBI needs to happen. Expansion of welfare. Socialized medicine. Unfortunately, the virus is immune to us saying "yeah but this stinks!" It doesn't care. It's on us to implement effective policy to face it head on.

Reaction Score
That's really good to hear. From what little I've read, we still have a long ways to go before it's ramped up to the level of places like Steven Krajewski/NZ which are actually able to look at opening up now. I'm still not convinced that federal and state officials get how urgent testing is. The statewide reopening plans I've seen across both sides of the aisle don't seem to emphasize it that much.

Agreed. Here in North Carolina the governor has put together a dashboard of four metrics that will be monitored to consider various degrees or re-opening. One of them is progress toward the current rate of 3k tests/day to 5k or 6k tests/day. I'm not convinced even that is enough testing but at least there is a clear awareness that greatly increased testing needs to underpin everything.

Reaction Score
It is, I absolutely agree. That's why we need a concurrent fast forward on ideas that were, until now, considered progressive. Now they're essential.

Internet is an essential utility. UBI needs to happen. Expansion of welfare. Socialized medicine. Unfortunately, the virus is immune to us saying "yeah but this stinks!" It doesn't care. It's on us to implement effective policy to face it head on.
I'm a Bernie voter, everything you named was roundly rejected by our political class and voters.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Why does India, for a country so large, have proportionately so few cases per 1,000 people than any country in the world?
What is one of the biggest threats in India? Answer - malaria
What is the best antidote for malaria? Answer - the same drug that the president and his team suggested at the very onset of this pandemic and it was met with laughter, criticism and smear by the main stream media and certain politicians. India is the worlds largest producer of this drug and a huge amount of the residents take it in very moderate doses as a preventative and guess what it is also preventing.
But that's ok, let's place ridiculous principles of political hate before peoples lives

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Americans as a populace are too prideful and stupid to understand how to safe themselves. We in no way shape or form can shutdown the majority of small businesses for a year without the government paying everyone. But it can’t be this idea that we pick and choose who has to chance it and who doesn’t. That will setup a horrible slippery slope for businesses who want to restart and employees who don’t want to. What happens when people get sick? Are they allowed to sue their employers? Will the government protect the employees or employers? These are questions that have to be asked and answered before we “open” things up. In other words we need a real plan.
How many of those folks earning less than $600 before this pandemic will leave that luxury afforded by the new ridiculous unemployment ruling and go back to work when it is re-opened? Where is that going to leave these small businesses?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I'm a Bernie voter, everything you named was roundly rejected by our political class and voters.
Well we can't have things both ways. We can't open without taking steps to ensure safety and security of Americans. The amount of "well we need to go back to normal eventually!" around here is baffling. That's not how the world works.

There is no going back. There's only moving forward. The country on the other side of COVID-19 needs to be more progressive if we want it to work, and even then things won't look the same as they did before.

Reaction Score
Why does India, for a country so large, have proportionately so few cases per 1,000 people than any country in the world?
What is one of the biggest threats in India? Answer - malaria
What is the best antidote for malaria? Answer - the same drug that the president and his team suggested at the very onset of this pandemic and it was met with laughter, criticism and smear by the main stream media and certain politicians. India is the worlds largest producer of this drug and a huge amount of the residents take it in very moderate doses as a preventative and guess what it is also preventing.
But that's ok, let's place ridiculous principles of political hate before peoples lives

Are you referring to hydroxychloroquine, which the FDA just came out a few days ago and advised docs against prescribing because of its side effects? States stockpile hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus as FDA issues warning
Numerous studies have been run and they don't show a huge effectiveness of the drug without potentially major side effects.

As to your interesting India point, let's not confuse causation and correlation. Pretty obvious your post's agenda was to defend our president's ridiculous promotion of the drug (before he walked it all back). No one is putting principles of politics before people's lives. When the president is promoting one cure after another in rapid succession without waiting for any sort of studies or scientific basis (first hydroxy, then the UV/bleach thing) of course it's met with "laughter, criticism and smear".

Reaction Score
Are you referring to hydroxychloroquine, which the FDA just came out a few days ago and advised docs against prescribing because of its side effects? States stockpile hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus as FDA issues warning
Numerous studies have been run and they don't show a huge effectiveness of the drug without potentially major side effects.

As to your interesting India point, let's not confuse causation and correlation. Pretty obvious your post's agenda was to defend our president's ridiculous promotion of the drug (before he walked it all back). No one is putting principles of politics before people's lives. When the president is promoting one cure after another in rapid succession without waiting for any sort of studies or scientific basis (first hydroxy, then the UV/bleach thing) of course it's met with "laughter, criticism and smear".
Unfortunately there's basically no bar for abject stupidity that gtcam can't sail over (or under, depending upon how you look at it) with ease.

Reaction Score
Most of us being behind the curve was when there was little attention paid to testing by the private community. Now that private businesses see the need for it, and the government largely dropping the ball on it, they're developing and launching it on their own. I wouldn't be surprised to see universities leveraging their scientific departments to develop and implement testing operations for their own schools.

If decisions are made to keep public schools closed past September, it would not shock me to see teachers and parents if schoolchildren as the protesters outside the state capitols. And they're going to have a hell of a lot stronger argument than the nitwits currently out there.

At some point (we're not there yet), society will have to put its foot back in the pool. We must do so with evidence-backed plans, testing, and reasonable distancing/hygiene protocols. But the current state is not sustainable through when a large-scale treatment or vaccine enters mass production.

Restaurants, bars, gyms, etc. permanently closing due to these orders is a horrible development for those who work there - the economic consequences have been and will be enormous.

That pales in comparison to the toll extending the current restrictions into the fall would have on our food supply, the educational system, the healthcare system (non-emergency hospitals and places of care closing), advancement of non-Covid medical research, etc.

Example: my wife works in cancer research trial administration. Virtually no new patients are signing up for research trials. This means cancer research will eventually be paused when the already-admitted patients complete their trials. That's not a price worth paying.

Reaction Score

They're still using hydroxychloroquine at Lenox Hill and at the other New York City hospitals to my knowledge.

Reaction Score
They're still using hydroxychloroquine at Lenox Hill and at the other New York City hospitals to my knowledge.
I don't doubt that it has some effectiveness, but it has some serious side effects too and is not the panacea it was touted to be by certain people. I think if we've learned anything it's that the medical knowledge around Covid is incredibly fluid and changes quickly. I was just pointing out that making a bizarre post to crow about the efficacy of a drug that isn't all it was cracked up to be using an oblique and odd example of India in an effort to defend a politician is a strange thing to do.

Reaction Score
I don't doubt that it has some effectiveness, but it has some serious side effects too and is not the panacea it was touted to be by certain people. I think if we've learned anything it's that the medical knowledge around Covid is incredibly fluid and changes quickly. I was just pointing out that making a bizarre post to crow about the efficacy of a drug that isn't all it was cracked up to be using an oblique and odd example of India in an effort to defend a politician is a strange thing to do.
I didn't even see the post you were responding to, never intentionally ignored someone but I'm not seeing some posts these days. People with bad hearts probably shouldn't be given it but I do think it works in conjunction with other things for some people. I now know of 2 people from the NY area who are friends of family/friend who say a hydroxychloroquine cocktail saved their lives. Nothing is a miracle cure for everyone but I wouldn't rule out any of the treatments that some docs and patients say have worked for some people.

I certainly wouldn't crow about anything the orange man says.

Reaction Score
I didn't even see the post you were responding to, never intentionally ignored someone but I'm not seeing some posts these days. People with bad hearts probably shouldn't be given it but I do think it works in conjunction with other things for some people. I now know of 2 people from the NY area who are friends of family/friend who say a hydroxychloroquine cocktail saved their lives. Nothing is a miracle cure for everyone but I wouldn't rule out any of the treatments that some docs and patients say have worked for some people.

I certainly wouldn't crow about anything the orange man says.
Yeah I didn't see the post either, now anytime someone puts you on ignore you can't see their posts either. I'm sure gtcam has a lot of people on ignore

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yeah I didn't see the post either, now anytime someone puts you on ignore you can't see their posts either. I'm sure gtcam has a lot of people on ignore
I didn’t know that.

Reaction Score
This whole virus may benefit our upcoming b-ball season if it is played at all. Let’s hope for a delayed start to the season, get Akok in there full strength, Martin becomes immediately eligible and we start running through the Big East like a CA wildfire on our way to our 5th National Championship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom