UConn President: Fall sports likely to be cancelled | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn President: Fall sports likely to be cancelled

Curiouser
Reaction Score
UCTV quoted him as saying fall sports "likely will be cancelled." Probably not the best to make that kind of initial statement to a random class, much less without loads of context.
Sounds to me like the class got the statement with plenty of context, which UCTV removed for the sake of clicks. Ironically, it was a journalism class.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I dunno. You get a grunter like Sharapova and the aerosols can probably travel a good 30'.
She's a grunter. Interesting.

Reaction Score
I think fans should be emotionally preparing themselves for the non-zero possibility of fall sports getting cancelled.

Unless of course you’re some “DONT TREAD ON ME” fanatic in which case you can probably get ready to suit up and get on the court/field yourself in a few months.

Well, the Lt. Governor of Texas said today that “there are more important things than living.” And that we need to start taking some risks.

Seems like almost every group in operation: police, fire, EMS, grocery store, hospitals, food prep (takeout restaurants and kids lunches), meat packing, etc are having outbreaks. How is the whole world going to be safe. I mean, I am ok with some risks that I can understand, evaluate, and take some precautions but this virus is just too unknown.

Reaction Score
Listening into CCMC townhall the state is projecting 0 daily deaths by 5/24 which likely means no new case within the coming weeks.

everyone is speculating a fall wave but that remains to be seen.

But UConn wouldn't be playing intra-squad scrimmages. They would be playing teams from as far as 1,500 miles away and different areas are peaking at different times. The last estimate I saw down here in North Carolina was a peak in the first week of June. I imagine it would be quite a while after that until deaths were zero.

Reaction Score
Who made that statement?

It was addressed as a possibility, which is what the people in administrations are paid to plan for. Not planning for that possibility would be reckless.
Not planning for it and stating it publicly are two very different things. I just looked quick so if I’m misinformed my bad but I thought the president stated that publicly in a video lecture If so my b. That goes for the mayor of LA Garcetti too- why even say anything about sports 6 months away ? for what purpose?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In her case, I'll take that risk. Maybe even from closer range.
ETazjf_XkAAQQ2l.jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

If you are going to be quarantined, I can think of worse people to be stuck with than Maria Sharapova.

Reaction Score
Well per the CDC Director if covid 19 comes back in the fall and winter it is likely to be harsher than this round because it could coincide with the flu. If they hit simultaneously the current situation in NY would look like a walk in the park.

Reaction Score
Well per the CDC Director if covid 19 comes back in the fall and winter it is likely to be harsher than this round because it could coincide with the flu. If they hit simultaneously the current situation in NY would look like a walk in the park.
Duh, it wouldn't be coming back because it's not leaving. I don't understand what we're doing.

Reaction Score
Who made that statement?

It was addressed as a possibility, which is what the people in administrations are paid to plan for. Not planning for that possibility would be reckless.

Why even bring it up in mid April? It’s sensationalism and fear mongering at this point, even if it turns out to be true. Almost every data point has grossly over estimated the impact of the virus, with social distancing incorporated. Why continue to act like we know how things are going to play out 5 months from now? It’s infuriating.

Reaction Score
If they let students fill the campus in the fall. How do they justify canceling sports?

And you know they want to open on time in the fall because they want their salaries.

Reaction Score
Why even bring it up in mid April? It’s sensationalism and fear mongering at this point, even if it turns out to be true. Almost every data point has grossly over estimated the impact of the virus, with social distancing incorporated. Why continue to act like we know how things are going to play out 5 months from now? It’s infuriating.

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Don’t say you don’t think we’ll have fall sports when you can’t tell what will happen next week.

Reaction Score
An interesting fact I heard on the TV, in the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic NYC had 30,000 deaths in a situation that lasted for 2 flu seasons. Right now after 5 weeks they are closing in on 15,000 deaths.
If sports are going to be played in the fall that means students will be back in dorms on campus. First for that to happen we will have to see a large number of States with declining numbers of new covid-19 infections for 2 weeks as per the Federal guidelines.
Next we would need to see people getting back on airplanes which means dealing with airports and all the crowding that goes on there before you put your athletic teams on planes.
If colleges are playing sports then the pro leagues will be back as well. Quite a bit to be determined yet to say the least.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom