UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 39 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

Reaction Score
I could have sworn he committed to Tennessee…I mean Colorado…he best be sure that NC State knows. Also, he was all pumped about rivals. Hate to break it to him but neither North Carolina nor Duke consider State a rival in the true sense. Maybe State sees those guys as rivals. They look at State as the 3rd wheel. Maybe a bigger deal than Virginia Tech, but barely.
Lmaoo you could make the same argument that we are the third wheel with Syracuse in MBB.

on a kid for not commiting to Tennessee, a top 15 team, and instead committing to NC State, a top 25 team, is not a good look.

Reaction Score
I could have sworn he committed to Tennessee…I mean Colorado…he best be sure that NC State knows. Also, he was all pumped about rivals. Hate to break it to him but neither North Carolina nor Duke consider State a rival in the true sense. Maybe State sees those guys as rivals. They look at State as the 3rd wheel. Maybe a bigger deal than Virginia Tech, but barely.
The rivalry with Duke is MBB Period and a somewhat new FB one. .

I've lived 24 years in Raleigh, I promise you the UNC vs NC State FB is the big in-state one.

Reaction Score
100k for a job for you, is that same 100k for a job for him. thats both pre-tax. who cares? Being a college student and getting paid 100k while also having your housing/meals paid for you is a pretty big deal.
true very true. well said

Reaction Score
The kid already got looked over and all the evaluators missed his talent, do you really think it is smart for him to take a chance on that happening again? He is putting himself in a better spot to prevent what already happened to him from happening again. Playing consistently against better competition where more scouts see you play and practice against better competition matters a lot. Good for him, the kid obviously has a good head on his shoulders and owes me and you nothing.

Given all that, it seems that you are personally hurt by Joly's "betrayal" and some people are quite upset about us talking about a player who left in the thread about players who left. It should be quite obvious that you are 100% correct by now and that we should all curse Joly for screwing us and screwing up his life and screwing up his chances of getting drafted and screwing up the chat by making us talk about players who left. It is all settled now.
It may work out for him at NC state it may not. No one knows. We do know it was working out for him at UConn.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
This is a group that dwells on a coach removed several years ago and a foolish trophy but don’t talk about a player who left last month. What am I missing.
The only one bringing up that trophy is you. Jay from fla? Sounds like you’re on the wrong side of the CONNfliCT! Seriously troll, how long have you been lurking to make that joke?

Reaction Score
Joly was top dawg and balled out at Iona Prep. He had over 1,000 yards receiving in his senior season, 1,500 totals yards and UConn was his only FBS offer. Every recruiter in college underestimated the kid because of the competition he played against. Do you really think that it would be smart for him to risk that again by being top dawg on a team that plays lesser competition and has lesser competition on the roster, that gets far less exposure in big games where scouts are?

Everything you said is basically a reason why it was the smart decision to move. You have to prove yourself against better competition on your team and against your team to show that you can be an NFL player. If he can't ball out at NC State and shine, then he stood no chance in the NFL anyway and there was no loss, because he was not NFL material. In fact there was a gain in his monetary compensation, so there was a net gain for him if he was not NFL material. If he does ball out and shine there, his chances of being drafted are drastically increased with all the extra exposure and proving of his skills against better competition. Either way, if he is NFL material or if he is not, the only choice would be to move to a better football school with more exposure.

Level of competition is meaningless for nfl scouts come draft time. They will look at film, then he would go to workouts.

Joly leaves, probably for some NIL, but more so for the experience of a program. It isn’t for nfl reasons. He can do that here.

Reaction Score
Level of competition is meaningless for nfl scouts come draft time. They will look at film, then he would go to workouts.

Joly leaves, probably for some NIL, but more so for the experience of a program. It isn’t for nfl reasons. He can do that here.
1. The whole purpose of scouting is to determine if a player can play against better competition in the NFL. You don't think successfully playing against better competition in college shows that they have a higher probability of successful play against better competition in the NFL? The entire process is to see how your skill transfers to better competition.
2. There are plenty of teams that outright say this is a major factor in their drafting.
3. If teams drafted without that consideration, then the G5 and below would be flooded with a lot more talent. A few years ago there wasn't NIL and so don't blame that, it was the same then and talent did not flood down or go G5 out of high school in large numbers. Why weren't great players flooding into the G5?
4. You have literally a PRIME example of this in Shedeur Sanders. Kid had all the experience in crushing it at a lower level, all the exposure someone needed, but it was only when he balled out against real competition, which I would mention is actually his worst year statistically, that he was really starting to be considered a top QB draft pick.
5. Better level of competition also means better level of coaching in general. Not only are the players on your team and the ones you play against better, the coaches on your team and the ones you play against are. You develop with better coaching and play against more complex schemes where playing ability is tested.

It's easy to name a hundred reasons why playing well on a P4 team is better for your draft stock, but in the end the market tells the truth and it did even without NIL.

Reaction Score
1. The whole purpose of scouting is to determine if a player can play against better competition in the NFL. You don't think successfully playing against better competition in college shows that they have a higher probability of successful play against better competition in the NFL? The entire process is to see how your skill transfers to better competition.
2. There are plenty of teams that outright say this is a major factor in their drafting.
3. If teams drafted without that consideration, then the G5 and below would be flooded with a lot more talent. A few years ago there wasn't NIL and so don't blame that, it was the same then and talent did not flood down or go G5 out of high school in large numbers. Why weren't great players flooding into the G5?
4. You have literally a PRIME example of this in Shedeur Sanders. Kid had all the experience in crushing it at a lower level, all the exposure someone needed, but it was only when he balled out against real competition, which I would mention is actually his worst year statistically, that he was really starting to be considered a top QB draft pick.
5. Better level of competition also means better level of coaching in general. Not only are the players on your team and the ones you play against better, the coaches on your team and the ones you play against are. You develop with better coaching and play against more complex schemes where playing ability is tested.

It's easy to name a hundred reasons why playing well on a P4 team is better for your draft stock, but in the end the market tells the truth and it did even without NIL.
I agree with some of what you said, but I totally disagree about your take on Shedeur Sanders. He was a 4* #26 ranked QB in his recruiting class with offers from Alabama, Florida, FSU, Georgia, Michigan, Oregon,... He was not an under the radar QB who put up big numbers in FCS that went to an FBS school to be recognized. Everyone knew he went to Jackson St. because of his father. If you look at his stats at Colorado, they are similar to his stats at Jackson St. His QB rating the past 3 years: 151.7, 160.4, 151.7.

Reaction Score
I agree with some of what you said, but I totally disagree about your take on Shedeur Sanders. He was a 4* #26 ranked QB in his recruiting class with offers from Alabama, Florida, FSU, Georgia, Michigan, Oregon,... He was not an under the radar QB who put up big numbers in FCS that went to an FBS school to be recognized. Everyone knew he went to Jackson St. because of his father. If you look at his stats at Colorado, they are similar to his stats at Jackson St. His QB rating the past 3 years: 151.7, 160.4, 151.7.
I agree on all you said there and that is sort of my point. Even him, who was well known and all, a very highly recruited player, who performed in FCS, would not have been drafted as high as he now will be and that was solely due to the fact that he was balling in FCS rather than with the big boys. He was well known, doing very well, but still unproven against the best competition. His draft stock and perception of how good he is got a big boost by performing against the best competition. He had around the same stats for sure, but definitely less than last year, but his draft stock went up measurably because he did that against tougher competition. Had he stayed there, he certainly would have been drafted, but even with all his advantages of being well known and all over the place and balling out in FCS, he was still not considered in the same category as he now is.

Reaction Score

It does affect on some level. But I would say winning, big-time college experience is a bigger factor, as is NIL the. Showcasing himself for nfl scouts.

It’s is always better to do it against better competition. But, once you are at combine and in workouts, all of that goes away.

Reaction Score
I agree on all you said there and that is sort of my point. Even him, who was well known and all, a very highly recruited player, who performed in FCS, would not have been drafted as high as he now will be and that was solely due to the fact that he was balling in FCS rather than with the big boys. He was well known, doing very well, but still unproven against the best competition. His draft stock and perception of how good he is got a big boost by performing against the best competition. He had around the same stats for sure, but definitely less than last year, but his draft stock went up measurably because he did that against tougher competition. Had he stayed there, he certainly would have been drafted, but even with all his advantages of being well known and all over the place and balling out in FCS, he was still not considered in the same category as he now is.
I don’t think I agree with that.

Reaction Score
Carson Wentz says hi! Joe Flacco and Ryan Fitzpatrick do, too.

Reaction Score
Carson Wentz says hi! Joe Flacco and Ryan Fitzpatrick do, too.
Since 2000 there have been 294 QBs drafted and approx 22 from FCS. Since 1970, every FCS QB drafted in the first round (pending Trey Lance) has been to the super bowl.

It should also be noted that the number of players drafted out of the FCS is trending down.

It's only going to get worse with NIL.

Reaction Score
Since 2000 there have been 294 QBs drafted and approx 22 from FCS. Since 1970, every FCS QB drafted in the first round (pending Trey Lance) has been to the super bowl.

It should also be noted that the number of players drafted out of the FCS is trending down.

It's only going to get worse with NIL.
The reason why FCS draft picks are going down is that many of the best FCS schools have moved to FBS. Since the 1995 season, 28 FCS schools have moved to FBS including UConn, UCF, USF, FAU, FIU, Coastal Carolina, Marshall, UTSA, Liberty, James Madison, Old Dominion, Appalachian St.,...

Reaction Score
The reason why FCS draft picks are going down is that many of the best FCS schools have moved to FBS. Since the 1995 season, 28 FCS schools have moved to FBS including UConn, UCF, USF, FAU, FIU, Coastal Carolina, Marshall, UTSA, Liberty, James Madison, Old Dominion, Appalachian St.,...
I totally understand.

I'm just joining in the fun of providing information without context.

Reaction Score
The only one bringing up that trophy is you. Jay from fla? Sounds like you’re on the wrong side of the CONNfliCT! Seriously troll, how long have you been lurking to make that joke?
You’ve read over 1000 posts to confirm your trophy statement? (Just in this topic). Wow I’m impressed

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

He played so well vs Tenn that they initially wanted him. We do get to play against good competition.

If I were a player right now, I'd be looking for the most playing time at the highest level that would take me. Is that Joly at NC St? It probably is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom