UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 38 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I get that, but he likely got a $250k raise and he’s not a Sunday player. Take the $$ and run.
I think he is a Sunday player in an H-Back way or a bigger receiver.

Reaction Score
They aren't currently equal from a football perspective, but that's not what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is: if the choice is being the primary receiver at UConn or the second or third option at NC State, you're better off at UConn because you'll have more chance to shine for a future run at playing on Sundays.

If you're the second or third option at Alabama, it's a different story. But NC State is not the "Alabama-type" move. That's my point. He was slated to get targeted a bunch if he stayed here...
Joly was top dawg and balled out at Iona Prep. He had over 1,000 yards receiving in his senior season, 1,500 totals yards and UConn was his only FBS offer. Every recruiter in college underestimated the kid because of the competition he played against. Do you really think that it would be smart for him to risk that again by being top dawg on a team that plays lesser competition and has lesser competition on the roster, that gets far less exposure in big games where scouts are?

Everything you said is basically a reason why it was the smart decision to move. You have to prove yourself against better competition on your team and against your team to show that you can be an NFL player. If he can't ball out at NC State and shine, then he stood no chance in the NFL anyway and there was no loss, because he was not NFL material. In fact there was a gain in his monetary compensation, so there was a net gain for him if he was not NFL material. If he does ball out and shine there, his chances of being drafted are drastically increased with all the extra exposure and proving of his skills against better competition. Either way, if he is NFL material or if he is not, the only choice would be to move to a better football school with more exposure.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Sort your data to exclude those kids who don’t rely on their parents to fund their excursions and you’ll see the data differently. The ones that don’t care have a safety net that allows them to pretend to care less.
And you have data to sort that supports your position?

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I agree with you entirely; I'm just pointing out that this assumes a baseline of workplace culture and decent enough pay to survive. I did a 50-page lit review on this for my first master's.

You aren't going to retain employees paying 12 bucks an hour for hard labor no matter how many holiday parties you host. Once you have a modicum of respect and decent pay in a workplace, all the other stuff you're describing becomes relevant.
I'm guessing the assumption is that if wages are competitive within said industry (and therefore, a move to another company does not negatively affect your wallet) those other things matter more than being paid above the industry average.

Reaction Score
Joly was top dawg and balled out at Iona Prep. He had over 1,000 yards receiving in his senior season, 1,500 totals yards and UConn was his only FBS offer. Every recruiter in college underestimated the kid because of the competition he played against. Do you really think that it would be smart for him to risk that again by being top dawg on a team that plays lesser competition and has lesser competition on the roster, that gets far less exposure in big games where scouts are?

Everything you said is basically a reason why it was the smart decision to move. You have to prove yourself against better competition on your team and against your team to show that you can be an NFL player. If he can't ball out at NC State and shine, then he stood no chance in the NFL anyway and there was no loss, because he was not NFL material. In fact there was a gain in his monetary compensation, so there was a net gain for him if he was not NFL material. If he does ball out and shine there, his chances of being drafted are drastically increased with all the extra exposure and proving of his skills against better competition. Either way, if he is NFL material or if he is not, the only choice would be to move to a better football school with more exposure.
If he kept his stats at UConn And was a top 3 TE it would have made zero difference in relation to the NFL. It’s just not how evals work. What he did was got big on himself and thought super high end teams would grab him. They didn’t. So, I revert to my past comments. I wish him no luck and the ungrateful kid can go screw himsrlf.

Reaction Score
If he kept his stats at UConn And was a top 3 TE it would have made zero difference in relation to the NFL. It’s just not how evals work. What he did was got big on himself and thought super high end teams would grab him. They didn’t. So, I revert to my past comments. I wish him no luck and the ungrateful kid can go screw himsrlf.
I am not even sure how the P4 get any recruits. I mean they could all just join UConn or maybe even an FCS team and put up huge numbers and get drafted ahead of all those dudes playing tougher competition.

Reaction Score
I am not even sure how the P4 get any recruits. I mean they could all just join UConn or maybe even an FCS team and put up huge numbers and get drafted ahead of all those dudes playing tougher competition.
Talent evaluators know what they see. That’s why not every kid from the SEC is a pro and why kids are drafted or signed as free agents from fCS, D2 and even D3. Of course, a huge number come from P4.

Reaction Score
Talent evaluators know what they see. That’s why not every kid from the SEC is a pro and why kids are drafted or signed as free agents from fCS, D2 and even D3. Of course, a huge number come from P4.
The kid already got looked over and all the evaluators missed his talent, do you really think it is smart for him to take a chance on that happening again? He is putting himself in a better spot to prevent what already happened to him from happening again. Playing consistently against better competition where more scouts see you play and practice against better competition matters a lot. Good for him, the kid obviously has a good head on his shoulders and owes me and you nothing.

Given all that, it seems that you are personally hurt by Joly's "betrayal" and some people are quite upset about us talking about a player who left in the thread about players who left. It should be quite obvious that you are 100% correct by now and that we should all curse Joly for screwing us and screwing up his life and screwing up his chances of getting drafted and screwing up the chat by making us talk about players who left. It is all settled now.

Reaction Score
I doubt he is getting a $250k raise and I don’t think he is getting $250k.
Lets say he is getting 100k, I still dont blame him. That is a life changing amount of money. If someone had given me 100k when I was a senior in college my life would have been significantly changed financially

Reaction Score
Lets say he is getting 100k, I still dont blame him. That is a life changing amount of money. If someone had given me 100k when I was a senior in college my life would have been significantly changed financially
Remember, that's pre-tax, so he will make $65k to $70k depending on a a number of factors including if he sets his residency in NY or NC. And, depending on his NIL deal, it may not be guaranteed for 2 years, maybe not even for 1 year. It's a nice pay day, but it isn't a $100k/year job which is an annuity.

Reaction Score
Remember, that's pre-tax, so he will make $65k to $70k depending on a a number of factors including if he sets his residency in NY or NC. And, depending on his NIL deal, it may not be guaranteed for 2 years, maybe not even for 1 year. It's a nice pay day, but it isn't a $100k/year job which is an annuity.
100k for a job for you, is that same 100k for a job for him. thats both pre-tax. who cares? Being a college student and getting paid 100k while also having your housing/meals paid for you is a pretty big deal.

Reaction Score

I could have sworn he committed to Tennessee…I mean Colorado…he best be sure that NC State knows. Also, he was all pumped about rivals. Hate to break it to him but neither North Carolina nor Duke consider State a rival in the true sense. Maybe State sees those guys as rivals. They look at State as the 3rd wheel. Maybe a bigger deal than Virginia Tech, but barely.

Reaction Score
I could have sworn he committed to Tennessee…I mean Colorado…he best be sure that NC State knows. Also, he was all pumped about rivals. Hate to break it to him but neither North Carolina nor Duke consider State a rival in the true sense. Maybe State sees those guys as rivals. They look at State as the 3rd wheel. Maybe a bigger deal than Virginia Tech, but barely.
Why care so much?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom