UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 49 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

Reaction Score
I am sure East Tennessee State is not where Houston envisioned himself to land when he quit on his team mates midway through the season. If I were a coach I would look long and hard before taking a player who had done that to his previous team and coach.

He took a ton of practice reps and snaps. Investing in him like that was a very bad deal for UConn.

Reaction Score
One won't ever know, but the working assumption then is he didn't leave for NIL money or a gig at a bigger school. And you're not going to convince me he quit in the middle of the season hoping a bigger school whom he hadn't already spoken to wouldn't be spooked by that.

So I'd be looking at a personal, rather than professional, explanation. He wanted/needed to be closer to home, he had an issue with someone he was supposed to be working closely with, or he just wanted to go somewhere where he thought he could win more football games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One won't ever know, but the working assumption then is he didn't leave for NIL money or a gig at a bigger school. And you're not going to convince me he quit in the middle of the season hoping a bigger school whom he hadn't already spoken to wouldn't be spooked by that.

So I'd be looking at a personal, rather than professional, explanation. He wanted/needed to be closer to him, he had an issue with someone he was supposed to be working closely with, or he just wanted to go somewhere where he thought he could win more football games.

Leaving midseason tells me that part of it was that he wanted to maximize his remaining eligibility.

Either way it was a punch in the gut for our season.

Reaction Score

So I'd be looking at a personal, rather than professional, explanation. He wanted/needed to be closer to home, he had an issue with someone he was supposed to be working closely with, or he just wanted to go somewhere where he thought he could win more football games.
I'm not sure this is true. Players leave teammates hanging by sitting out bowl games yet it doesn't seem to hurt their NFL chances or ability to transfer.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure this is true. Players leave teammates hanging by sitting out bowl games yet it doesn't seem to hurt their NFL chances or ability to transfer.
Loyalty to teammates is a virtue until there is money involved. The whole game has been corrupted by the new model. I am waiting for the next lawsuit which will challenge the restrictions on NIL so that the players can be paid directly by the institutions -- followed shortly thereafter by skyrocketing ticket prices. There is no limit to where this can go, folks.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score

I tend to agree with this.

The kid took one handoff during the Duke game then walked off the field and hung up his UConn cleats. That’s not ordinary behavior and it says to me that his heart wasn’t here. He gave it a go and decided he was done (yes, while protecting his eligibility).

He left in a , Randy Edsallesque way. But if he didn’t want to be here, at least he got out of the way.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
He was a hero the year before if you listened to Mora. Something or someone changed his view. I wonder how much losing EJ Barthel affected him.

Reaction Score
I wonder if he saw what transpired with Nate Carter and he thought he could do the same/similar? Maybe not, but just a thought.

Reaction Score
NCAA '25 is going to
He was a hero the year before if you listened to Mora. Something or someone changed his view. I wonder how much losing EJ Barthel affected him.
Likely this. It might have felt more of, or too much of, a grind with change in position coach

Reaction Score
I was upset he left. But I really don't blame him with the way season turned out last year. I hope he has a lot of success in ETSU. I'll still root for him from afar. Once a husky always a husky.

Reaction Score
I wonder if he saw what transpired with Nate Carter and he thought he could do the same/similar? Maybe not, but just a thought.

Pretty certain that it did.

Mora said in season 1 that Nate Carter could come back and play but Nate “had a decision to make”. Carter also only played 4 games.

Reaction Score
I was upset he left. But I really don't blame him with the way season turned out last year. I hope he has a lot of success in ETSU. I'll still root for him from afar. Once a husky always a husky.

I don’t extend that to guys who ditch mid season. Not always a husky.

But I hope he has a good finish to his career.

Reaction Score
I don't think we need to overthink this. He stopped playing after 4 games to retain his year of eligibility. He was a productive player and he thought he could get a payday for 2 years from another school as he is not going to play in the NFL. He had examples to look at like Aaron Turner, a backup at Cincinnati who got paid. And, he saw that Nate Carter retained a year of eligibility after playing 4 games and got paid. But, unfortunately, no payday came for him and he is now at ETSU.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Didn't Carter get hurt? He didn't just up and decide he was done after game 4.

Look, college football has turned into a heaping pile of trash. Don't get too attached to a player and their development, they'll be wearing a new uni next year. The crazy part is that this isn't just a G5 thing. Major P5 schools are dealing with this too.

Reaction Score
Get used to it. The roster is going to be ever changing apparently.

Oh please. Everyone here is aware. But when you ditch after 4 games as a starter, take reps away from dudes that are all in and so on then I have very little for you.

I don’t have too much of any of problem with Joly and Bin Wahad who were putting their hearts in it through the UMass game. That’s the right way to do it if there is one.

Reaction Score
Didn't Carter get hurt? He didn't just up and decide he was done after game 4.

Look, college football has turned into a heaping pile of trash. Don't get too attached to a player and their development, they'll be wearing a new uni next year. The crazy part is that this isn't just a G5 thing. Major P5 schools are dealing with this too.

Both are true. He could have returned but didn’t in the season according to Mora.

It’s not the same thing as Houston though because not much of the season was left to make a return worthwhile.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom