UConn MHOC 22-23 | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UConn MHOC 22-23

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Are there schools that we will be competing with for a spot in the tournament who will benefit from having their Stonehill games stricken from the record?

Reaction Score
Are there schools that we will be competing with for a spot in the tournament who will benefit from having their Stonehill games stricken from the record?
Opposite. LIU played them once already and is scheduled for 2 more games, so will theoretically hurt UConn marginally by making the LIU wins look slightly less good

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Opposite. LIU played them once already and is scheduled for 2 more games, so will theoretically hurt UConn marginally by making the LIU wins look slightly less good
Got it, thanks.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If the Stonehill thing impacts UConn, thats on UConn for scheduling LIU. Period.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If the Stonehill thing impacts UConn, thats on UConn for scheduling LIU. Period.
Looking at who the other school is scheduling each game is micromanaging the process. Other hockey programs looking to get into the tournament scheduled LIU as well. If a school has a low RPI or whatever rating system for scheduling is used, that is on UCONN. But if that team also schedules: BU, Ohio State, etc, they are trying to beef up their schedule and UConn shouldn't have an issue with that.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Seriously? How? Maybe you could argue it’s on LIU, who actually scheduled Stonehill.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I bet a million dollars Dave doesn’t even realize the Stonehill decision actually helps UConns Pairwise.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I bet a million dollars Dave doesn’t even realize the Stonehill decision actually helps UConns Pairwise.

That’s a strong statement from someone who said this mere 24 hours ago:

And it still doesn’t fix the fact that is a really bad precedent.

Reaction Score
UConn has the 10th best win percentage in the country.

The only problem with the OT wins is they count as 2/3 of a win and an 1/3 of a loss when it comes to the Pairwise.

Reaction Score
Question for the hockey gurus. When is the final pairwise decided? Is at the end of the regular season or after the Hockey East Tourney? I'm getting the feeling UConn would probably have to win the tourney to get the automatic bid.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
UConn has the 10th best win percentage in the country.

The only problem with the OT wins is they count as 2/3 of a win and an 1/3 of a loss when it comes to the Pairwise.
Can you show me where you see this, because based on the reading I’ve done this is not actually the case.

“When it comes to comparing teams, the PWR uses three criteria which are combined to make a comparison: RPI, record against common opponents and head-to-head competition. Starting in 2013-14, the comparison of record against teams under consideration was dropped because all teams are now under comparison.”

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Another source.

Reaction Score
OT weighting: As of 2021-22, when college hockey went to 3-on-3 overtimes across the board, The Committee decided to weight these differently. OT wins are counted as 2/3 (0.6666) of a win, and 1/3 (0.3333) of a loss.

Reaction Score
Last night UConn beat Northeastern in OT but fell behind Michigan State yet UConn was ahead of them before the start of play on Friday.

#13 Minnesota State lost to #45 St. Thomas in OT last night but did not fall one spot in the Pairwise.

Reaction Score
Conference tournament games factor in to the Pairwise.

UConn doesn’t have any games to really improve their Pairwise positioning until the Hockey East tournament.

Theoretically, they could sweep their next 4 games, UNH and Alaska, and still lose ground. But losing any one of them would probably be too much to overcome.

UConn could get some Pairwise help if Boston College goes on a run until UConn meets them the last two games of the regular season.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I could be wrong here but I see Lowell as the concern. It seems that if we were to finish in the top four of the conference for both the regular season (this is where Lowell could cause problems) and tournament (entirely on us), it would be almost impossible for us to be viewed as one of the four most deserving hockey east schools. I imagine hockey east would have to receive four bids.

Reaction Score
Like last year, this is why UConn needs to win the tourney and get the automatic bid.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong here but I see Lowell as the concern. It seems that if we were to finish in the top four of the conference for both the regular season (this is where Lowell could cause problems) and tournament (entirely on us), it would be almost impossible for us to be viewed as one of the four most deserving hockey east schools. I imagine hockey east would have to receive four bids.
The only thing that matters is the Pairwise. Pairwise is the how the teams are chosen.

Hockey East would only have one team in the tournament if it ended today.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Last night UConn beat Northeastern in OT but fell behind Michigan State yet UConn was ahead of them before the start of play on Friday.

#13 Minnesota State lost to #45 St. Thomas in OT last night but did not fall one spot in the Pairwise.
So what does that mean? it still doesn’t address OT wins vs regular wins. A teams RPI is based on strength of schedule and wins, losses and ties. It’s one of three factors in the pairwise calculation. I don’t see anywhere where the say an OT win is worth only 66% of a win. I’m just trying to understand how pairwise is calculated, not trying to call anyone out here. This article is the best simple explanation I have found.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
The bottom line for me about the NCAA Tourney is that I feel like it should be expanded beyond 16 teams. Every year, worthy teams are left out. Why not include 4 or 8 more?

Reaction Score
It doesn’t appear that the upcoming schedule will help our computer ranking, but this team is talented enough to be in the NCAA tournament. It’s been a good year, but I’ll be very disappointed if UConn doesn’t qualify for the tourney.

Reaction Score
The bottom line for me about the NCAA Tourney is that I feel like it should be expanded beyond 16 teams. Every year, worthy teams are left out. Why not include 4 or 8 more?
I think a major factor is the NIL money and the Big Ten.

With the money available to those schools I would assume they would become fixtures within the top 16.

Right now the Big Ten has 6 of the 16 teams.

I think that could be a reason to expand the field so it doesn’t turn into the Big Ten Invitational.
So what does that mean? it still doesn’t address OT wins vs regular wins. A teams RPI is based on strength of schedule and wins, losses and ties. It’s one of three factors in the pairwise calculation. I don’t see anywhere where the say an OT win is worth only 66% of a win. I’m just trying to understand how pairwise is calculated, not trying to call anyone out here. This article is the best simple explanation I have found.

OT weighting: As of 2021-22, when college hockey went to 3-on-3 overtimes across the board, The Committee decided to weight these differently. OT wins are counted as 2/3 (0.6666) of a win, and 1/3 (0.3333) of a loss.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I think a major factor is the NIL money and the Big Ten.

With the money available to those schools I would assume they would become fixtures within the top 16.

Right now the Big Ten has 6 of the 16 teams.

I think that could be a reason to expand the field so it doesn’t turn into the Big Ten Invitational.

Ahha! Thank you! The blinders have been lifted from my eyes! Guess I should have read that whole article…turns out it was better than the one I read In full.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom